Question about listening to a newish TV through old stereo receiver.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Henry Please, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I borrowed a friend's flat screen TV to watch the world series. The TV works fine, but I would like to listen to it through my stereo (Pioneer SX-890). I figured it would be as simple as plugging RCA red and whites into the aux jack on the back of the receiver, but apparently I was wrong -- no sound. I googled it, but came up with a bunch of how to set up your surround sound system etc. Am I missing something here? Do I need a different cable? Are they just not compatible for some tech reason I probably won't understand? Any help appreciated.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mu guess is the red and white you are using are audio in on the TV, not audio out. You need to see if the TV has any RCA audio out jacks. My guess is it does not.

Henry Please and audiofool like this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Or use the TV headphone out with a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Henry Please and Jim T like this.
  4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

What he said. Should be a huge improvement.

Henry Please likes this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have an old cheapo Sylvania flat, bought at BigLots that has audio out. These plugs should be separate from anything else and labeled as audio output. My set has no headphone capabilities. The sound is not "muted" somewhere is it?

6. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm out of luck. There's only one Audio-L, Audio-R RCA input, and that does jack squat. I hooked up the 3.5-to-RCA to the only 3.5 on the back of the TV, then noticed it says PC Audio in. Bummer.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Some newer, flat screen TVs have a setup program where you assign inputs and outputs. Are you sure the red and white are simply not active and that the TV is set to use the built in speakers instead?

Scott

gregr likes this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My Samsung 42" has no rca audio outputs nor a headphone jack, only opitcal audio out. Fortunately I don't watch much TV on it, my blu ray player has audio outs so I use that for my stereo input feed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Is there a video yellow next to the white/red?

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Typically you have to go to the TVS menu and its Audio preferences and change it from internal to external speakers. Most any relatively current tv is going to have audio output jacks and the aux on your receiver should be fine.

11. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Did you try either of the "tape in" inputs? Might be your best bet on that receiver.

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not true, as I stated, my 4 year old Samsung only has optical audio out.

13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It's not the inputs that are the issue, it's the lack of correct audio outputs on the TV.

Henry Please likes this.
  14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You send the left & right audio signals direct from the CABLE BOX to the stereo, set the TV speakers to off (or external audio), and forget about the TV sound entirely, or connect the digital audio out from the cable box to the receiver's digital audio inputs (if it has any), for even better sound, and AC3 surround (again, if your receiver decodes it).

shirleyujest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.