VHS titles that are superior to Blu ray?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maybe. Or maybe they are waiting for some sort of boxed set to coincide with the release of his next flick.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But we've been waiting SO FRICKIN' LONG for a new "Abyss". It's been more than 14 years since the non-anamorphic DVD - do you really think Fox couldn't have found some good tie-in for "Abyss" as a fresh DVD transfer and/or a Blu-ray?

For a new DVD, they had the 15th and 20th anniversaries - nuttin'.

For the BD, they had the 20th and now 25th anniversaries - nuttin'.

They also could've connected it to "Avatar" theatrically or on home video.

There have been boohoogles of tie-ins available for "Abyss" and it hasn't happened.

Like I said, I doubt we'll ever know the truth, but I genuinely believe that Cameron is the hold-up. I can't see any logical reason the studio would prevent the release of a title that they KNOW would make them money!

3. All very true but, as I recall, Cameron didn't even begin work on the Blu until after "Avatar" Blu and they/Cameron might have been busy working on the deluxe since all of this happened before he was supposed to have started work on "True Lies" and "The Abyss".

Maybe Cameron has finally completed his work a d is waiting for something from Fox. Who knows?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But is that really true? Sure, there is a hard-core vocal minority that's baying for it (myself included), but that doesn't necessarily translate to big numbers.

It was a different time back then. Things have changed over the succeeding 20+ years. I'm sure if the movie was less talky and more explosive (literally) without the overt moralizing at the end, things might be different.

I'm sure it will get done. At the moment he's got his hands full shooting three Avatar movies at once!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can tell you that The Abyss got a full 1080 HD digital restoration about four years ago, fully grain-reduced and dust-busted. But I don't know anything about True Lies. It might be possible that Fox has decided to go back and redo the titles in 4K, so rather than release a Blu-ray from HD, they'd rather just master it all over again and create a 4K version and then reissue it all from that. One can make a good argument that it won't look gigantically better, but it couldn't hoit.

As far as I know, the scripts have yet to be written. Cameron did concede that he was so swamped with work, he had to parcel out the work and hire co-writers to work with him, which was a major concession for such a control freak. I can only hope the outside writers will improve on the dialogue... :sigh:

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

I'm not saying it's gonna do "Avatar" numbers, of course, but I think it'll do very, very well for a catalog title.

My point remains that if we play "the blame game", I'm firmly putting it on Cameron. I just can't believe that if Cameron REALLY wanted "Abyss" out on BD, Fox would tell him no. The guy has insane amounts of clout and is gonna get what he wants from the studio with which he continues to work...

audiomixer likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Then why put all the blame on the studio? He could've answered, "yes, that's on the list of things we'll eventually do, but I'm much too busy with other projects to devote time to it right now. There's only so many hours in the day."

8. Oatsdad

Because it's Cameron. He doesn't strike me as someone who'd eagerly tell the public that he's in any way responsible for the looooooong delay...

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So you're basically saying it's Cameron's 'fault' and he's deliberately lying in a public forum by openly blaming a network executive? Seems unlikely.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. You're talking about the director who made the 2 most successful box-office films in Hollywood history, "Avatar" & "Titanic"...he has the industry clout to do EXACTLY THAT...AND GET AWAY WITH IT!!!

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Cameron has certainly been guilty of having a huge ego, and I know he's infamous for having an incredible temper, but he's never struck me as a liar.

12. Not calling him a liar, Marc...more like he's trying to deflect blame for the delay for the release of these often-requested films on blu-ray...:wave:

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Cameron is so self-absorbed, he wouldn't give a crap for taking all the blame. He doesn't care one way or the other. I truly believe Fox is just dragging their heels on reissuing lots of 20-year-old+ movies that are only going to make a limited amount of money. If it costs $500,000 to spruce up The Abyss and another $500,000 to restore True Lies, it'll take years and years and years for them to get that money back. No way would they make $1 million in Blu-ray sales, not today. I think those days are gone.

GuildX700 and Deesky like this.
  14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I do like the DVD re-edit (the extra material in the film is nice enough) - the only odd things I noticed are that the old interview clips lost a bit of legitimacy being in color, and they cut the pointless gag of Eric's limo crashing.

I can't believe what I've heard about the Blu-Ray too. Truly awful; and putting that great movie in a set with "Rutles 2" is a joke.

15. Oatsdad

But if Cameron really wants that to be done, do you honestly believe Fox would alienate him with such a simple task? Even if the restorations cost $1 million and didn't make a penny back, I'd think they'd do whatever they needed to do to keep Cameron happy.

And I think "Abyss" would make back its money - it has a highly dedicated audience. It's not gonna sell "Frozen" numbers but I think it'd make back its costs easily...

16. Oatsdad

That's what I think. And if Cameron said "ask that man right there why they're not on Blu-ray", that's not even a denial that he's responsible! :D

17. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Weird. I've only got it on VHS, and just watched it a few weeks back. Guess I won't be up/down grading.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was thinking about people who miss the fade and click of the 8-track on their favorite car album of the 70s.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Vidiot likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What about Magical Mystery Tour VHS/Soundtrack; It has "roll up, roll up " intro...missing from the blu ray version ?

20. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

while you talk the truth about the studios interest ,your taste is not mine ,the movie (Lester Version) is a lot better than "isn't that Good"

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think most critics agree that the second Superman film wasn't as good as the first one, and it didn't make as much money as the first one. The biggest problem I think is apathy from the studio execs, few of which believe there's much worth re-releasing prior to 1980. To most of them, anything before 1980 is a really old movie, and the only way it gets out is if it was very, very commercially successful or artistically acclaimed.

22. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

isn't that Good should be saved for Superman 3,4,5,&6 now that stuff is "isn't That Good"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.