Kinks Deluxe Editions 2011-2014 (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

We know what we're shelling out for, Captain Obvious.

2. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Kinda Kinks and Kontroversy deluxe editions are essential, excellent bonus discs on both.

Dave Hoos and GetHappy!! like this.
  3. Bart

Bart Forum Resident

Is there consensus on the best-sounding cd's, leaving aside the bonus/alternate take/etc. material? I do want to own the basic releases, but am not a big enough fan to really value the extras. But if the best sounding cd's are in such sets, that'd induce me to buy them despite not wanting all the extras.

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Many would say the PRT's rule.

But, they are a pain to track down. I say, go for the Deluxes. So many of the bonuses are so much better than you might assume. VGPS has a treasure trove of great tracks that somehow slipped through the cracks.

ajsmith and John Fell like this.
  5. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

According to the amazon track listing the extra disc is "you really got me" and "milk cow blues" both live. Remixed/remastered from kelvin hall by Sandoval perhaps?

Will Harris and NOS300B like this.
  6. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I can't find this anywhere on Amazon US or UK? Where did you find it? I'm assuming you're talking about the 45" with The Anthology box?

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

DayRavies likes this.
  8. Chris Haley

Chris Haley Music Lover Lurker

9. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I wonder if they will re-issue the VGPS Deluxe in the new program. It is apparently OOP and going for $60 on Amazon right now.

11. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  12. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

Huh, just last July or August it could be had for around $25. I have a friend who last summer finally had the Kinks click for him and he was wrestling with the 2 disc deluxe sets costing $30+ to $crazy. The VGPS set was priced very sensibly so I pointed him towards that and passed along the news from this forum that suggested the 2 disc sets were about to reissued so to wait on those (and it worked beautifully for him). I wonder too. I hope it gets re-issued as it's a fine set. Perhaps better yet is that they could use the more recent mono remastering too (I haven't heard it but it's supposed to be better).

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

There should have been a re-release of VGPS with a re-jigged track listing to accommodate the 2 unreleased tracks from the box set (Pictures In The Sand,Till Death Us Do Part),rather than making fans buy 6 discs to get them!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

There would be just as much complaining or more to make fans re-buy 3 discs for only 2 new songs. At least with the 6 discs, you're getting a lot more unreleased stuff than just those 2 songs.

william r small likes this.
  15. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

It would have been a lot cheaper to re-buy one deluxe edition than to shell out the prices being asked for the box set.

16. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Depends on your definition of cheaper. Rebuying a $20-$30 deluxe for two songs comes out to $10-$15 per song.
    Buying a $60 box set with 24ish new songs comes to about $2.50 per song. I appreciate what you're saying. I'm just trying to keep it in perspective.

17. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I just got it for $30.

18. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

19. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Just got through listening to first disc of the Kinks' Face to Face deluxe edition. Yeah, I know, that's the only one I got. I bought this several years ago, was thoroughly impressed, and now relistened to it about two years later.

Wow. Again, wow. I used to play their singles "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night" in a garage band my freshman and sophomore years of high school (1967-69). I really thought of them as a great "singles" band. After listening to Face to Face again, I begin to think, among those other big British acts -- Beatles, Stones, The Who -- how do the Kinks stack up based, admittedly, on my limited exposure to their catalog (Face to Face, except for older singles)? I think they compare very favorably to the Beatles, and I have always held the Beatles in the highest regard. Of the others, the Stones just don't compare. I'm talking about song writing prowess--melodies, lyrics, vocals (lead, background, and harmonies to both), and overall instrumentation (use of piano, horns, etc.). Yeah, the Kinks were definitely a "guitar" band -- the "classic" lineup of lead, rhythm, and bass guitarist. But their sound is so much bigger! Did Ray Davies write almost all this stuff? His output alone rivals the combined output of the Beatles' song writing duo of Lennon and McCartney (hey, I didn't say exceeds, so take it easy). Just amazing what this band did.

20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I agree. As I told my father in law when I first discovered how great their albums are, they're like the Beatles but all of the songs are new to me!

Their other 60's albums are great, too. And for the picture they paint of the albums/eras of the band the deluxe exditions are fantastic.

21. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I just picked up a new copy of Something Else Deluxe for under $10, which is fantastic because a couple months ago it was like $50 used, so I thought I had missed out. I'm really looking forward to hearing the mono mix, as I've always loved this album but have always thought it would sound better in mono.

I already own The Kink Kontroversy as well as Face to Face and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. The bonus material has been very enjoyable in both cases.

Mik, Adam9 and Jack like this.
  22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My "Muswell Hillbillies (Legacy Edition)" has been shipped from Amazon.
    I especially look forward to the DVD.

cc-- likes this.
  23. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

On the kinks Facebook page there's a link to hear the unreleased version of she's got everything from the upcoming anthology box. I've been unsuccessful accessing it so far

24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Amazon Sunday delivered my Muswell Hillbillies! Mastered by Vic Anesini!

ShawnX, GetHappy!!, NOS300B and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.