New Queen Album "Forever"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nesboy43, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

The cover art totally reminds me of this...

[​IMG]

2. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

of course brian can let queen go, its the fans who won't let him. if you go on queen forums they're constantly demanding 'new' stuff from him and roger. when they get it, it's just not good enough.
    brian has plenty of more important things in his life he could be doing.

love queen but hate the cheesy queen with awful cringe-making lyrics like 'there must be more to life than this.'
    no way i'd get this album.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  3. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Judging by the trailer, it's not an album, but a compilation rather.

4. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Barrel scrapings and further tarnishing of a band who went downhill in many ways after 1977.

Jack o' the Shadows likes this.
  5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Looking forward to it. Loved so much of what they did after 1977.

6. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

After 1977? :shake:

A lot of their best material came out post-1977.

botley, fuhrsy31 and johnny q like this.
  7. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

LOL pretty much the same.

8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

That's your opinion.
    For me Queen's two best albums are "Queen" and "Sheer Heart Attack"
    All the others up to (and incl.) News Of The World had filler.
    For me, they became a joke of sorts after 1980...

9. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Personally my favorite time is from Queen II to The Flash Gordon sountrack (the game not included).

My first Queen cassette at 6 years old courtesy of The Flash Gordon movie.

Forget it Ming Dale's with me!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    ruben lopez likes this.
  10. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

In my opinion their glory days started with Queen II and lasted until The Game (included but no Flash). Afterwards, it's just seceral great songs per album deal, not more. Innuendo being the exception (5-6 great tracks there feautring a return to prog roots in one instance).

Jack o' the Shadows and jl151080 like this.
  11. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Sure if you're stuck on being album-oriented. Post-1980 contained killer singles with songs as good or better than their 70s material. Again, that depends if you're stuck on being album-oriented or having a block against 80s production.

juanmanuel likes this.
  12. I just love Queen's music, period.
    Don't get me started on those fans! They always complain about everything. If Brian shares a cover of a Queen song on his Facebook, all kinds of idiots turn up to say "It sucks!", "Freddie is much better!!!" "Queen covers should be illegal!" (Yes, I am dead serious on the last one), etcetera, etcetera. It's ridiculous how these people go about Queen. It seems like a sick obsession rather than just liking a band to me!

13. Maverius

Maverius New Member

Problem with Queen Forever is that they shouldn't !!! have used Made in Heaven analogy and use the word "compilation" from the very beginning. What's more, majority of music magazines are announcing this as a new Queen album which is clearly not true.
    The reworked/finished tracks sound good (Let Me In Your Heart Again is even excellent), Love Kills sounds good and you can hear it FOR FREE on Spotify. The only one track which sucks mastering and mixing-wise is the William Orbit's mix of There Must Be More To Life Than This. After the initial preview of the full song on Chris Evans BBC 2 radio show at the end of sept. the criticism was THAT HUGE that he announced via twitter that he'll fix it and summed up his screwed up work with one word : "a technical thing". Does this man take his work seriously ?

You really are astonished that Queen fans are mad at Brian and Roger ? Well let's see :
    From 1995 onwards (the release of Made In Heaven - posthumous Queen album) there's been nothing new released (studio-wise). At the end of the 90's it was announced that Queen Anthology box (yes, the same concept as the Beatles anthology) is being worked on and will be released. Guess what, it was shelved.
    Up to the 2011 there's been hundreds of re-releases of Greatest Hits (both compilations and under various names like Stone Cold Classics or Absolute Greatest). But something's changed, Queen's back catalogue was bought by Island Records (Universal) and they pressured them to remaster all studio albums and add an accompanying disc (Deluxe edition).
    It was really like a breath of fresh air, yes some of the expanded editions were like "maximal profit, minimum effort" so they would add b-side's of the original singles. But for example first album was expanded with demo's of most of the tracks from CD1!
    And did you hear the mastering of Queen II ? Bob Ludwig really uncovered all the glory from the material in his re-master.
    So the whole Queen 40th anniversary project was really something to look forward to and it turned out to be blisteringly good. (The Days of Our Lives Documentary with loads of previously unseen interviews, bits of concerts etc.)

And then it began, rumours of new *proper* Queen album with possible duets (Andy Gibb [Play the Game], Rod Stewart [Let me live] and Michael Jackson [3 or 4 songs]. From the very recent Roger Taylor interview, we know now that all the FM/MJ duets were worked on but the Jackson Estate has agreed only to one track. Mind that the rumours began in 2011 and the announcement [press release] came in 2014 and guess what it is.............wait for it........a crossover of yes! Greatest Hits, Deep Cuts and 3 Bonus tracks.
    Is it now so odd for you that this release has raised wall of criticism and disappointment from Queen fans ? (Apart from the new tracks which are praised [excl. TMBMTLTT]).

The only thing which saved the day for Queen Productions Ltd. is the Live At The Rainbow 1974 release. Man they rocked so hard on that gig and people have forgotten that they were heavy once.

PS. There Must Be More To Life Than This is a great Freddie ballad which originates from 1981 sessions as a Queen song. Comparing Orbit's mix and FM original 1985 solo version (from Mr Bad Guy album) people have come to conclusion that the original 85' version sounds better! Also it is FM-only version so no MJ on that one.
    What's more, Orbit has changed the original concept of the FM/MJ duet as on the demo each of them sang one verse --- so first verse FM and the second MJ and so on --- and on the Orbit's mix Freddie is singing the first stanza, then Michael is singing the second and they're both singing the last one.
    On the Chris Evans' show both Brian and Roger have stated that it's a shame that we won't get to hear THEIR mix of the song.

I can list here all the demos we know of and which are good enough to be finished/worked upon if you wish.

14. MonkeysCantSwing

MonkeysCantSwing Forum Resident

15. Maverius

Maverius New Member

Okay so I'll try to put them chronologically,

Polar Bear (pre-Queen I, one of the examples of Freddie's use of falsetto)
    Hangman (pre-Queen I although we don't know if studio version exist it was for sure performed live as there are bootlegs of live shows with that song, e. g. Budokan 1975)
    Surrender to the City (Queen II)
    Silver Salmon (great rocker, it was tried out during the NOTW 1977 recording sessions but it is assumed that it originated at the early point of Queen's career)
    Sandbox (demo from The Game recording sessions)
    Rock It (ver. with Freddie only on vocals)
    Sail Away Sweet Sister (ver. with Freddie only on vocals)
    Some tracks from Roger Taylor's solo album (Fun in space) are rumoured to be sang in studio by Freddie [majority of these tracks originated during The Game rec. sessions]
    Man Made Paradise (Queen version)
    There Must Be More To Life Than This (Queen version possibly finished during The Works recording sessions as this song was meant to end the album instead of Is This The World We Created)
    Back to Storm
    I Dream of Christmas (Queen version with Freddie singing lead vocals)
    I Guess We're Falling Out (great ballad demo from The Miracle sessions)
    Affairs
    Grand Dame
    Face It Alone (demo from Innuendo sessions)
    Robbery
    Freedom Train
    Let Me Live (duet with Rod Stewart [confirmed] + it is rumoured that a version of the song with Freddie singing all of the verses exists)

These are the demo's which at some point leaked, have been shared etc. and that's why we know they exist, you can wonder what else is in the Queen Vaults as it's been stated that for the Miracle sessions alone they've recorded about 40 songs !!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Well, it sounds interesting but, queen has been dead since 1991.
    It's rather desperate for band members to do this.
    I would ask them for anything, It's lame who most fans do.
    Freddies songs are controled by his ex girlfriend so that why some
    these will never see the light of the day.

17. Maverius

Maverius New Member

Just to be clear, some of the songs which I've listed above are complete songs, not demos. Its existence is confirmed but they remain unreleased up to this day. As to the demos, at the very recent Queen convention, Queen's archivist has stated that the band may be looking into demos so Queen Forever could be a teaser for something more exciting to look for.

As to the Freddie's songs... Well it seems that in Freddie's Estate the final say has Jim Beach (Queen long-time manager btw) and he's the one which suggested Brian and Roger to look into Love Kills. So thanks to him you can hear the ballad version now (for free on Spotify). He's very open towards letters and fan's opinions and he's been ordered by Freddie (as an executor of FM's last will) to never make him [FM's music, legacy] boring.

I'd say it's not desperate for band members to do this, the Beatles were praised for releasing Anthology and Paul wasn't criticised for releasing "Free as a bird" (Lennon's vocal take was apparently recorded on cassette, not tape). In the Queen Vault there are songs which have been discarded as they didn't fit the album (concept-wise) for example, A Winter's Tale, one of Freddie's masterpieces was completed during The Miracle recording sessions but didn't fit the feel and concept of the album so it ended up on Made in Heaven. I think that those tracks are worth releasing, hearing.

18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Those lists always look impressive at first. But reality is, they are part fantasy. Songs like "Robbery" do not exist, they were jam sessions with Freddie add libbing some words. And fans turn them into lost songs. You can find "Robbery" on Youtube and no one ever can turn this recording into a song....

Get used to the thought, that this chapter is over. They have given more material than most other bands on this planet.

19. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

It's all been done, it's nearly impossible to come up with a design, that is absolutely new

20. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Are you sure about that? I thought it was stated by Brian that "A Winter's Tale" was one of the tracks that was completed during the period between Innuendo being released and Freddie's death?

21. I've never had any reason to doubt the official party line that A Winter's Tale was the last full song Freddie wrote and sung, and while I don't ever recall anyone saying otherwise, his voice does sound a lot stronger than it did on Mother Love, which has been confirmed through tracking sheets as being recorded no later than May 1991. Could it be that his vocals really were from The Miracle sessions? If so, at least it wouldn't be the first time QPL have used blatant hype to promote material since his death...

Later period outtakes such as My Secret Fantasy, Self Made Man, Face It Alone, I Guess We're Falling Out and Robbery especially could only be released if Brian or Roger contributed significantly to replace Freddie's ad-libs. However, the full length version of Dog With A Bone (as once played at the group's own fan club convention) deserves a wider release than being limited to an obscure compilation of such prepared tracks for this purpose, since it's a rare instance of another band member getting to be heard vocally at a time when Freddie handled this duty almost exclusively.

22. Maverius

Maverius New Member

@Helmut Well THAT version of Robbery was leaked but it doesn't mean that there aren't other takes of the songs. In the "Queen world" there are only a few people who really know what's collecting dust in the archives and neither Brian nor Roger are one of them. What's more they've only contributed to misinformation and confusion. What stories they've told... a 2 years back Brian stated that It's a Hard Live wasn't performed live (so generally, it is as if he forgot that they've performed it every night during The Works tour (1984 + 1985)).... and it's only really a minor example of their statements.

23. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Do you remember every school essay you have written? Every letter you have sent ?
    Imagine they have done 700 concerts with Freddie all over the world, met countless people. And in the meantime Brian May worked on his "doctor", started a musical and did lots of other projects with other people. So I think you can forget, which song you played 30 years ago. It's the fans, who explore the past and listen to bootlegs and become experts of history. When I stumble over old setlists from my "hobby-bands", I often think, Oh really, we did do that song? And I am far from having done 700 gigs....

LivingForever and Maverius like this.
  24. Maverius

Maverius New Member

Okay I may have been a bit harsh on Brian and understand what you're saying but you know if the exact situation like this occurs from time to time then one can feel angry.

25. Maverius

Maverius New Member

Yeah sorry for that ! I've mixed it up with Too Much Love Will Kill You which originates from The Miracle Sessions, I think the demo version (1989) is still up on YouTube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.