bobstinsonsghost = rare Replacements and Westerberg videos

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I'm a Mats and Westerberg fan and after looking up many videos on YouTube I found one channel kept popping up. I get inspired to create music when I watch artists I admire so I thanked the channel owner who calls himself bobstinsonsghost. We became friends after that and I started a Mats and Westerberg Group on FaceBook and put bobstinsonsghost as a co administrator and the Group is really taking off!

Facebook Groups are better than fan pages because Group members can interact with each other. Fan pages is like a one sided conversation.

Back to bobstinsonsghost YouTube channel: he avoids posting official releases and only posts live performances, interviews and other rarities. He posted the entire documentary "Come Feel Me Tremble" about Westerberg's solo career and I have watched that again and again.... good stuff on his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/bobstinsonsghost/videos?flow=grid&view=0

D.B., nodeerforamonth and ShawnX like this.
  2. Gilliam

Here's a great video from bobstinsonsghost:

3. Gilliam

Em. and nodeerforamonth like this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thank you, beautiful video.

5. Gilliam

Hey! I was starting to think there were no Mats fans on this forum. Glad you checked it out. That video Rocks!
    Paul Westerberg is great I like his solo stuff a lot.

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'm new to the Replacements.. I only have "Let It Be" and "Tim" but I've been playing them a LOT lately. I noticed a lot of Paul Westerberg CDs on importcds.com are dirt-cheap right now. Do you (or anyone) have any recommendations for a newbie like me approaching his solo work?

7. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I don't see why you wouldn't begin with his first, 14 Songs. There's also the 2 songs for the Singles soundtrack, which fit into the same basic sound as 14 Songs, before he tried to get even more serious over the next several solo albums. Apart from the soundtrack, I'm not sure what's the best current way of obtaining those 2 tracks ("Dyslexic Heart" and "Waiting for Somebody").

8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

This isn't solo, but you really need to get Pleased To Meet Me asap! Shoot for the original '87 Sire as opposed to the remaster.

Culpa and Pawnmower like this.
  9. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

And Sorry Ma and Hootenanny. Paul's done some good stuff but I wouldn't recommend any of it over exploring deeper into the Replacements.

Pawnmower likes this.
  10. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

and some feel that the last Replacements album, All Shook Down, is essentially a Westerberg solo album...

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Thanks guys. I only floated the idea of the compilations because they're like $6 each on importcds.com and it'd be a good sampler of the stuff I don't yet have. But I see what you mean.

After searching 6-7 online retailers, it seems the "Tim" remaster with bonus tracks is the only one no longer available. Strange that one of the series is out-of-print but not the others.

12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm almost jealous - you enjoy Let It Be and Tim, but you haven't heard Pleased To Meet Me yet. I think you're in for a real treat!:)

dee and Pawnmower like this.
  13. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

I assume that vid is from the couch tour. my wife and I caught that in Boston and made it onstage to sit on the couch at the end. fantastic

14. Gilliam

I would highly recommend 14 Songs... I bought that CD when it came out without hearing it just because I am a Replacements fan and it is amazing.
    Big fan of his solo work.... Paul Westerberg also has released music under his alter ego "Grandpaboy" and here is a fine example:

D.B., ShawnX, dee and 1 other person like this.
  15. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

That's because it is.

16. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Yeah, it's almost as good as the other two.

Culpa likes this.
  17. Gilliam

18. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

er, right. Glad we cleared that up!

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Besterberg? I used to have one or both singles iirc as cd singles/ep too. Also as downloads still? Amazon had a good Westerberg selection of downloads at one time, maybe still do....

20. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

For $5.70 'Stereo' (which also includes 'Mono') should be your first port of call - terrific album. Play 'High Time' LOUD.

TeddyB and nodeerforamonth like this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Stereo/Mono are among the best things he's ever done.

Cyberhog9 likes this.
  22. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Bob Stinson deserves more acclaim than he ever got in life.One of my favorite guitarists ever.

23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

This. Mono is terrific and Stereo is very good. Come See Me Tremble is almost as good.

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm of the opinion that you need to hear all the Replacements' albums before you venture into Westerberg solo stuff.

Cyberhog9 likes this.
  25. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Suicaine Gratifaction and 14 Songs are both great solo albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.