CBS "Madam Secretary" - What's Your Opinion?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gotityet0, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotityet0

gotityet0 vinyl nut Thread Starter

I've been enjoying this show since the beginning. I look forward to watching it on Sundays. Anybody else enjoy this show?

benjaminhuf likes this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Uncertain start time a problem - Monday get-up only hours away...

3. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Terrific show!

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, I'm enjoying it. My only critique would be that it's a little bland - it needs higher stakes. But it's still early days and it's always a pleasure seeing Téa Leoni on screen.

Myke likes this.
  5. gotityet0

Last nights show was pretty interesting. About the girl trying to defect from china for her mom. anybody else want to comment?

6. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Fantastic show! Love it. The cast is good, the scripts are well written. It reminds me of West Wing but different. Started watching it from the second episode and now I'm hooked. Along with The Good Wife Sunday is now the best night of television for me.

benjaminhuf, gotityet0 and forthlin like this.
  7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I enjoyed it well enough, but the show still feels too lightweight given it's setting. It's trying to be too light and fluffy with the domestic stuff and even with some of the banter at work (almost Veep-ish). I think it needs multi-episode situations that can be explored more deeply.

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The pace reminds me of the observation that unless you have a very well-stocked mind before you get into office, you won't be able to change much. The way they jump from crisis to crisis, you realize those involved enjoy panic mode. The next crisis is the solution to the present one.

9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Here's my problem with this show, I tried watching it from the beginning, but (to me) it's far too serious with the worldly issues and all. Once they go "The Good Wife" route and delver further into McCord's personal stuff, that is when it'll become more interesting...

10. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Terrific show!

11. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Decent show with potential. Wraps up episodes too neatly though...

They need to air it another night so a DVR is reliable though.

gotityet0 likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's this great device called a DVR. I can't watch TV without it, because my hours are too weird and I can never remember when these crazy shows are aired. When I have a few free hours, I'll catch up with the DVR and watch the shows that have been stacking up.

Haven't seen Madam Secretary yet, but the reviews have been OK. Ratings are around 12 million viewers, which is not bad.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You do realize that dealing with world issues is part of the job description? I have the opposite problem, the weighty world issues aren't weighty enough and are wrapped up all too easily. The real world, especially in politics, is way messier than that.

I don't mind exploring the personal stuff angle, but only in small doses, which is sort of the case ATM. If they get too soapy, I'm out. In fact, the office shenanigans with McCord's staff is bordering on high school hijinks! Seriously, that stuff needs to stop!

gotityet0 likes this.
  14. The Wanderer

I don't DVR but often 'On-Demand', which meets my needs with no effort.

'Madame Secretary's' very premise turns me off, manufactured busy drama, ironic because although true for all non-reality fare, I find this one in particular annoying.

15. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I am enjoying the show. The show deals with current issues without taking a political side to the issue, for the most part.

gotityet0 likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

WYO?

I googled it, and came up with the Urban Dictionary saying this means "What you on?". Which still makes no sense. So, WTF?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was surprised to see that Madame Secretary's ratings are through the roof -- they're getting like a 12 rating, which is very good these days. I thought this show would barely make it, but I think you can say it's a hit.

18. I think there are more than enough personal relationship shows out there, I'd rather have more politics, actually.

19. The Wanderer

I do enjoy 'The Good Wife', busy but engaging, if a tad too calculated, usually stay onboard for CSI, but do the laundry from 8 to 9.

I'm guessing 'Madame Secretary' sandwiched between '60 Minutes' and 'Good Wife', without much else in that time-slot, enjoys the ride.

20. gotityet0

Nothing better to do whats your opinion:shrug:

21. gotityet0

thought it was a good show last night. it's tough to get people to work together. and it seems everyone gets a little dirt on their hands nowadays.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I watched last night's show--the first time I've watched this show.

It felt too slick for my taste. The issues they had to deal with--double dealing representatives of a country, bad leaders, etc., plus the internal politics--were interesting. But the way everything had to slickly resolve in the space of a 1 hour show felt extremely rushed, and as a result, too plastic. I also thought that most of the dialog was rather average for a prime time drama. But maybe that perception was also colored by the slick pace.

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

60 Minutes fans will obviously go for a show with MS's ambitions, so the ratings are not a surprise. But did you notice that last night's schedule was pushed so late that CBS actually bailed on C.S.I. in the east (at least in the NYC area)? This is a legendary ratings grabber for the network, but they also probably knew that the locally owned and operated affiliates were going to bitch and moan that their precious 11:00pm newscasts were going to air too late, so goodbye C.S.I.!
    And if I never hear that rusty hinge of a laugh from Tea Leoni again, I'll die a happy person.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Madam Secretary has been given full season order...

25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The President seems to suffer from mood swings - barking at her one week, supporting her the next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.