Why has Mountain been all but forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Flowers of Evil is my favorite Mountain album. They did work well together live.

bicyclops, Pete Puma and sewerdog like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

well a bit of my opinion. each mountain album released in the last 35 years has about 3 tracks or so that sound like mountain because thats usually what west was responsible on early mountain albums. i'd have to listen to the 4 albums released without felix since the 70's but i think those 4 albums you get 11-13 great songs to make a top notch west solo album. the problem is you are missing the 20 great felix songs that would have been on them to balance it

3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Leslie West is a great guitar player, but I don't think Mountain had the quality songwriting that would appeal to subsequent generations.

4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I like a lot of the solo West stuff, which includes the Mountain stuff that doesn't have FP on it ( I consider it solo). Much of it is great stuff, but it just isn't the same kind of music that Mountain was best at. Even LWs guitar style and sound has changed, he does a lot more wankering now and uses fx. Which, I never thought he needed to.

5. Matthew Tate

yeah i agree the fx and wanking is a bit much but the song "hard times" is great and the albums as phat as it gets, unusual suspects and still climbing are good. mans world by mountain in the 90's is the best of the post felix mountain albums

bhazen likes this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Come on, when talking of the early 70s and A-list artists the names Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, Bob Dylan, CSNY, Elton John, ELVIS PRESLEY, come to mind, and then there were album giants like Carole King, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. Neither Mountain nor Humble Pie fall into either category, despite the fact that they had some success. Let's face it, neither were as popular/successful as Black Sabbath or Deep Purple, and neither of those bands were A-list back then either!

keifspoon likes this.
  7. Love the first three albums -never heard any Mountain beyond those classics. Flowers of Evil is an underated gem from '71.

bhazen likes this.
  8. old school

old school Senior Member

They were A-list to me and that is all that matters.

bhazen likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Although obviously Pappalardi-less, Man's World from '96(? w. Mark Clark) has really grown on me. Some good songs on there. OOP probably, but Amazon still gets 'em used occasionally.

10. Matthew Tate

you can pick it up cheap as dirt. i think i got a new one for $5 about 7 years ago

11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I like Mans World. Mystic Fire sounds like a bad attempt to mimic metal. The guitar sounds on it are quite bad.

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the songs ! they were just not good enough! you can have a great guitarist but you need the songs to back them up with !

13. Matthew Tate

Yeah mystic fire is the worst mountain album. Even the dylan covers album was better

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Mountain was Great.

I have many of their LPs and when I play them, it's so right on!

Leslie West wails, he's one great guitar player.

Seen him in a solo concert headlining Foghat and the lead singer for Bad Company, about 12+ years ago. He was absolutely unreal. Blew me away... I needed that. Everyone was freakin out, standing on their chairs just screaming at the top of their lungs. And that was just 3 minutes into the guitar riff... Unreal.

It was just 'one of those' concert moments. Totally awakening. Most Excellent.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  15. Matthew Tate

i don't understand how mountain can't get a decent career anthology or some unreleased stuff put out by sony/legacy

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Try the 2 disc 1995 set, "Over The Top"

keifspoon likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

i meant to comment about the 2 different 2 cd sets available and yes i have OVER THE TOP. here are my comments about the sets

1 OVER THE TOP
    good
    - does cover the bands entire career up until 1995 including most of the tracks from leslies first solo album, titled "mountain", climbing and nantucket sleighride
    - has 2 brand new songs with noel redding on bass
    - has the hard to get "stormy monday" live from atlanta pops festival

bad
    - the semi hit "hard times" from GO FOR YOUR LIFE is missing
    - missing two great songs from AVALANCHE "sister justice" and the bands roaring cover of "satisfaction"
    - missing the complete "dream sequence" from FLOWERS OF EVIL. we get part of it
    - "waiting to take you away" from ROAD GOES EVER ON is edited
    - why wasn't unreleased woodstock stuff used?
    - either live version of "crossroader" is better than the studio version

2 CROSSROADER AN ANTHOLOGY 1970-1974
    good
    -focuses on the bands prime years
    - includes "sister justice"
    - includes 1 disc of studio songs and 1 disc of live material
    - includes the complete "dream sequence"
    -includes the bands 2 officially released woodstock songs
    - includes the live "crossroader" and a live long "nantucket sleighride"

bad
    - nothing from the years not included in 1970-1974 so not career spanning
    - missing the bands roaring cover of "satisfaction" from AVALANCHE
    - no need for the studio and live versions of "crossroader"
    - no rare/unreleased tracks

18. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

?! The first three Mountain albums had loads of great songs! I'm not as familiar with the post-Felix era, other than Man's World, but those Windfall discs made a convincing argument; particularly Felix's Jack Bruce-influenced ballads. YMMV, of course.

The big test is, I can still listen to Mountain 40+ years on; unlike so many of their contemporaries (e.g. Grand Funk, Foghat, Cactus etc.)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    keyXVII and old school like this.
  19. Matthew Tate

agree the first 3 are filled with great songs, assuming you are counting the west solo album titled MOUNTAIN. AVALANCHE was a big step down. i'd say it has 5 songs near the quality of the first 3 releases and 2 of them are covers. GO FOR YOUR LIFE has 3 good songs. MANS WORLD is the best non felix mountain release. MYSTIC FIRE varies in quality. the overall tune is trying to be a little too metal but it has some great tracks buried in there. it also has 2 of the worst songs mountain ever recorded. MASTERS OF WAR is an all dylan covers album and is really good.

20. Matthew Tate

next year is leslie west's 70th birthday. maybe we can get a boxset from sony/legacy like they did for johnny winter on his 70th bday. include a few pre mountain west songs with the vagrants and then run through mountain, some solo stuff, some west, bruce, laing stuff and so on. throw in some rare/unreleased stuff. anyone know if there are a lot of mountain studio outtakes?

Agent of Fortune, bhazen and Dondy like this.
  21. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

and there's a good reason for that...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

and the reason is they don't have a member who stood out on their own. appice and bogert always seemed like hired guns to most classic rock fans since they appear on a ton of releases by random artists

rcdupre likes this.
  23. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

for some reason I was never able to get into Cactus, maybe I should re-listen....I was never that into Mountain either, both bands seem to be very middle of the road to
    me, but at least Mountain has a few memorable songs, what is the ONE Cactus song I need to checkout to change my mind ???

24. Matthew Tate

well leslie west has remained in the spotlight of classic rock fans by having people like eddie van halen and zakk wylde mentioning him.

anyways check out "you can't judge a book" or "let me swim"

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  25. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Jim McCarty definitely stood out. A great guitar player with amazing tone and chops. I think the main reason Cactus is nearly forgotten is because most of the songs lyrics are just plain bad. Rusty Day is not a good songwriter but all he's got is a great blues voice.

John Fell, Steel Horse and rcdupre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.