Pro Audio for Home hi fi?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ocd1, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Thankfully, with pro audio you don't need to...!

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

When I was in college, I was in bands and had my own PA gear. I had a Fender six-channel mixer/amp that powered two 15" cabinet speakers. But I lived in a dorm, and there was nowhere to put the gear, but on my desk. So, I did, and I plugged my crappy Panasonic all-in-one shelf system into the aux input and listened to CDs through it. When I got my first record player, a Sony PS-LX250 or whatever, I plugged that into the mixer/amp too.

I wouldn't recommend this set-up for any purpose.

The FRiNgE and Diamond Dog like this.
  3. Burning Tires

Burning Tires Forum Resident

I listen through a pair of 8" KRK's on stands at home, and I enjoy it. The room is relatively small, the walls are treated, and listening is done from the couch. It's kind of a simulated studio environment. The sound is very focused and gives great imaging. For instance on mono records, the speakers completely "disappear" and the sound seems very much to be coming from the wall between them. It can be intense, and yes, fatiguing after a few hours at a decent volume. But I prefer it to headphone listening. If I were into filling the house with sound or group listening, I might not choose powered monitors though.

4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

my Rogers LS5/9 were made from the Professional market- love them - very flat

5. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I use Tannoy DMT 15's in my living room and Tannoy System 1000's in my basement, both designed for studio monitoring. They sound great and I can listen to them for hours. They replaced Quad ESL-57's, Linn Tukans and ATC SCM-7's that I used for years prior to the switch.

6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

For years my main 2-ch rig was an iMac feeding a Benchmark DAC1 connected to a pair of Dynaudio BM5As in a traditional nearfield HiFi arrangement and it was great.

Bill

gingerly and Brother_Rael like this.
  7. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

This is a small speaker monitor arrangement I could get behind, personally. One se of our monitors are the newer version of the BM5A (II? III?) and we have two sets of Benchmark ADC/DAC's. A pleasant listen, though I prefer what I have at home for enjoyment.

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Yeah, it was a nice, simple, direct signal path but I've since reverted, as my number of sources have grown, back to a more traditional HiFi setup.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

I don't like PA speakers that much (or maybe only the big Yamahas I listened to). I thought they sounded dark and shouty. The bass was actually great but it needed to be loud (too loud).

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

There is so much really good home audio equipment available today I don't see why anyone would consider other. The only piece I have that could be considered PRO is a spectrum analyzer.

Halloween Jack likes this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

And a lot of the "pro" stuff sold as such in reality really is not so pro.

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Genelec actives. Yummy.....a pair of 8240s would do me nicely. Lovely sound.

13. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

I have two sets of Yamaha HS8's,
    One pair to mix with and one pair connected to my Schiit Gungnir DAC, they sound amazing in both instances.

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I just spent about 12 or so hours over the last couple of days tracking some music for a song for an upcoming TV show and spent some time thinking about the studio's Genelec monitors -- older 1031 models -- and a Genelec sub, not sure which model -- with specific regard to this whole question of using this gear for home playback (instead of just listening to the parts we were working which normally occupies all my attention in such circumstances).

I bet those speakers in a midfield setup would work pretty well for home listening. Unlike just about every small studio monitor that I commonly used in the past -- like the Yamaha NS10 -- I find when I walked out of a session with the Genelecs my ears were not fatigued, and I'm never thinking the music needs a lot of eq to sound like it does in the live room. And that subwoofer was just killer. Deep, clean, full, effortless.

For tracking anyway I thought they were quite excellent and for something like $1500 on the used market with their own bi-amped power, I could understand if someone in the market for a home hifi midfield monitor wanted to use those speakers. That would be a good price for speakers and power and I bet they'd sound great at home, as opposed to, say the old NS10's which I'd never want to use at home (and frankly I don't want to ever hear again) or even some of the new Dynaudios which are popular in project studios and which I heard some of our mix on and which might work OK for helping someone mix for contemporary mp3 and mid-fi playback but which seem a bit bright and thin to me and wouldn't be my choice for home hifi use.

15. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

What pro universal players are there?

16. mds

mds Forum Resident

I believe Decware Audio bases their CD player off a professional studio CD player. Here is the link

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm

It also incorporates a tube and has gotten excellent reviews. To add to the conversation concerning studio monitors. I have been listening through a pair since the mid 80s and have them in my main sound room and found a second pair being sold extremely cheaply so I bought them also and have them set up in a secondary system. What I have found is that the detail they produce can be fatiguing and non-musical if not recognized that this is one aspect of these types of speakers but they can become extremely musical and fun to listen to for hours if placed correctly in a room that has the proper acoustics and then you must use high end gear. The speakers strong point and weak point is that they show off any imperfection. This could be the room, the interconnects, and the equipment that you are producing the signal for them to play. In my opinion tubes work great with making a monitor much more musical but high quality solid state I am sure would work well also.

[​IMG]

This is my "musical" and "non-fatiguing" Studio Series nearfield reference monitor that I have enjoyed for over twenty five years. I would never trade them out and I think they are very attractive. They are manufactured by EAW using RCF drivers and were designed to compete against the JBL 4411 monitor. It has a very unique design feature which uses a single magnet to bring the centers of the high and mid frequency drivers closer together for better imagining and a smoother transition at the crossover. The speakers produce a very life like sound, musicians in the room with you, that includes a deep and wide sound stage. This is where these speakers shine is the "open" and "detailed" sound it produces. The better the equipment used with these speakers the better they sound even with an extremely flat frequency response of +- 2.5 dB from 50 to 20,000Hz. I do use a self powered SVS subwoofer with them to help bring out the lowest frequencies and as mention I use tubed equipment for both the pre and amplifies. Holding them away from room boundaries is critical. So for those that say a professional studio monitor cannot make a fine home audiophile speaker, I beg to disagree, you just need a high quality speaker and components to compliment them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.