Seeking someone who can do an edit of Raspberries "Go All The Way"...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JazzPolice, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Well that was very interesting, good try, it makes a good radio edit. I wish I knew how to do this!

2. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

There's nothing wrong with the song as it was/is. Not everyone is going to like it but it is what it is. I wish Da Vinci had painted the Mona Lisa with a moustache but perhaps he had better judgement after all.

3. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I don't see it that way a la Mona Lisa. Long-time listening makes me think many songs could be improved and have been more successful than they were. This particular song may or may not benefit - peoples' judgment will vary - but the concept of rearranging the elements is a very interesting one. Maybe one day a way will be found to let people do this, for a fee of course for the artist. Especially on the mixing side because some people want to hear drums more than guitars, or guitars more than drums, or pan this there or do that. Just being able to remix alone would be a radical new direction for music and a way for older artists to make money from their catalogue. Maybe it will happen one day.

JazzPolice likes this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

JP, sorry I didn't get to this...I still plan to work on it!

5. Twodawgzz

Twodawgzz But why do you ask such questions...

Where can one obtain a lossless file of the original with which to work on edits?

6. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Buy it from Amazon or iTunes then use Trader's Little Helper (free software) or a similar program to decode the file.

7. JazzPolice

JazzPolice Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Exactly. We're able to manipulate the hell out of the sound of any particular recording with whatever we decide to play it on, so why not take it a step further? The goal is musical satisfaction, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm willing to do anything to have some.

8. Twodawgzz

I'm not about to spend money for a song I don't even like, in order to do edits for someone else.

9. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Interesting edit, nice to hear, but miss the power chords intro.

10. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

The new intro doesn't work going straight into the verse. Too abrupt - you'd need to get the band back in to record a new transition... I'm not playing with this any more. I agree with others in that this just won't work. Additional parts need to be written and recorded.

I attempted to do what JazzPolice asked for, as a fun editing exercise. Please read what I said above before you make comments like that. Nice going - what a way to take the fun out things. Next time someone starts a thread like this, I'm not playing.

11. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Link deleted or removed ??? I wanted to add my 5 cents ..

12. Twodawgzz

13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

14. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

It's very interesting that several seem to have numerous ideas how to make IMHO one of the catchiest, crunchiest, power-pop-iest tunes that I ever heard even better. There's absolutely no harm in that...Possibly, because of the "unfinished" feeling of the song cited by others, I don't mind hearing it played several times on repeat...maybe that was the sneaky intention by the band? With all due respect, Are we frustrated music producers, perhaps? But even so, it seems to be quite a daring challenge to improve upon Pop Perfection. As others have mentioned, YMMV, since like the saying goes, we all have our own musical tails...umm I mean tastes. Have Fun!

Instead, I'd like to hear an attempt to renovate or fix a shoulda-been-better but unloved track by The Beatles or Rolling Stones...and make that piece of "coal" shine. Hopefully to the same height that "Go All the Way" already achieves, for me.
    Almost every single time I hear it. Even when set on "Repeat".
    Just my opinion. :whistle: :tiphat:

15. Twodawgzz

16. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

17. Twodawgzz

18. JazzPolice

19. JazzPolice

If it's edited correctly and smoothly according to my original direction, it will work. Somebody can do it. If they can make "Free As a Bird" work, this is child's play. If you don't want to do it, that's fine. I appreciate you trying, but you obviously didn't understand what I was looking for or you didn't read carefully enough before attempting the project.

20. Twodawgzz

If you can't tell how it's different from the original song, 1) my edits must be good, and 2) you clearly aren't listening and/or aren't terribly familiar with the song you're asking people to edit.

21. JazzPolice

I'm sure your edits are fantastic, however I am intimately familiar with the fact that what you did is so far off the mark from what I had originally asked for, it sounds deceptively similar to the original song. For example, I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been about omitting the heavy intro. If you want to play around and experiment with your ideas of how the song should go, why not start your own thread? I started this one for a specific reason. Posting work that has zero to do with the point of the original thread just seems plain rude to me, honestly.

22. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I have actually wanted to edit this song myself for a long time but I dont think I can because the ONLY part I ever liked....actually the only 30 seconds of their entire career i can stand at all, is that big guitar intro...it actually rocks, then they lame out into pop blandness. I always think I am going to hear a KILLER rock track, a blsitering smoker, then it just dies

Is there a possibility to make this an all-out rocker with an edit?

No disrespect to the OP, btw....I was just curious if enough material exists to do the opposite of what I think he wants (which is CRAZY! thats the best part!)

EDIT: just listened again and its too much of a mess to get a pure rock song out of it, but man that first intro is killer, sounds just, JUST like a Montrose outtake from 1973! too bad

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  23. Twodawgzz

Excuse me, but there is only one rude person in this thread, and it is the OP. And what's more, why am I wasting my time working on ridiculous edits on a song that completely sucks to begin with?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  24. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

There seems to be a lot of animosity going on in this thread . . . I definitely prefer the song how it was originally recorded.

25. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I noticed the animosity as well and don't quite understand it. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

funknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.