How's your luck been in the used bins lately? (pt10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I have no idea if this is rare or not, but it was two dollars at Goodwill, so I bought it. (borrowed pic)
    [​IMG]

jonathan and xdawg like this.
  2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Thrift store finds today:

[​IMG]

The Ray Charles disc is from 1987 and the back says "Digitally Remixed and Remastered by Ray Charles and Steve Hoffman"

3. HominyRhodes

You have good taste - I like all three.

4. bt1098

bt1098 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Picked these up today at a store I rarely visit. All for $35.
    Pink Floyd- Ummagumma - Near Mint vinyl
    Ramblin Jack Elliott
    Electric Light Orchestra - s.t. I have never seen this one before so I was intrigued.
    A couple of Buddy Emmons , steel guitar player. I'm a sucker for the steel geetar.
    Autographed Hank Thompson.
    MFSL of 1812 overture
    Steve Earle- the early tracks. Another one I have never run across.
    Miles Smiles - for $3, why not!

Going Back for these on Friday:

WSM vinyl of some Grand Ole Opry shows. After a bit of research, they may be valuable enough to resell.
    A few Stanley Brothers records also caught my attention.

hominy, MadMelMon, xdawg and 4 others like this.
  5. superstar19

Unfortunately, the Ray Charles is in worse condition than it looks. Has some skips so it won't play cleanly nor can I seem to get an EAC rip. I have had worse looking used finds that came out okay so I didn't think twice about purchasing this one. :mad:

6. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Just got back from a lunch break trip to Impact Thrift Store, and found:
    • The Joshua Tree (looks like a 2000's remastering, as I have the original one at home with the white/rainbow spine)
    • Tommy Both discs, MCA with NM on the discs (anyone know what that is?)
    • Fearless the Taylor Swift album, but a CMA "For Your Consideration" promo, which is a cardstock fold out package with a booklet inside that has all kinds of PR stuff in it.
    Today was a 35% off all media, so the above 3 cost a little under $5.00. I'm blanking on the 4th disc I bought, but will post it later on.

xdawg and Retro Hound like this.
  7. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

"Music By Bacharach" CD at the local Habitat store today. Looked it up on Amazon, the cheapest used copy was something like $39! I love when I come across stuff like this. I honestly had no idea it was "hard to find". I just wanted it in my library so I could hear these great songs. Win/Win!

xdawg, Retro Hound and raveoned like this.
  8. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Horace Andy Good Vibes - great Blood & Fire reissue now deleted. £1.50

9. Stereolab- Mars Audiac Quintet (UK original, VG+ ), ¥1300. I've done pretty well with Stereolab releases this year, all original pressings in excellent condition.
    The Tubes- Remote Control (1st Japanese pressing, with obi, VG) ¥700. I wanted it mainly for 'Prime Time', which was my first coloured vinyl 45 purchase back in '79.
    Brian Eno- Another Green World (U.S. Island black label 1st pressing). ¥500 Pretty beat up copy with a lot of surface noise on side two. Eno's early releases on vinyl are hard to come by in Tokyo right now and sell for stupid prices. Disk Union wanted ¥25,000 for a Japanese pressing of 'Warm Jets' with obi and VG at best for the vinyl. Um...no thanks.
    I left all my Eno vinyl with a friend back in the UK when I moved to Japan 16 years ago.. :doh:

Mik and xdawg like this.
  10. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I think of that, too, when I'm finding music in a thrift store or yard sale. Also, I think of the music I'm not picking up, if there were ever these holy grail CDs or albums just sitting there (probably not, hence the reason they're sitting there!)

11. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The 4th CD:

• Ken Burns The Civil War OST
    and on cassette:
    • Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas

xdawg likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, that's better than finding the booklet sans SACD! :)

13. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I saw in the store a fatboy CD of The Wall, but only disc 2 was there :cry:

14. superstar19

Must be going around. I got excited yesterday when I saw the case for "Abacab" Genesis since I never see any classic rock in this place, but it was back to reality when I popped the case open.

15. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I've had some excellent luck the last couple of weeks, will post a list later. What I cannot find is a copy, good bad or indifferent of the original Back in Black vinyl! May have to resort to eBay.

16. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Found a promo 12" of Funkadelic's "Get Off Your Ass and Jam" that has "Original 1975 mix by Jim Callon/For Professional Use Only" printed on the label. Appears to be unplayed. This was in the 3 for $1 bin at the thrift store.

mike catucci and xdawg like this.
  17. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Nice find. This used to sell in the 50-80 dollar range, though I haven't checked lately. I have a copy that I got from a forum member a few years ago. It's a great record.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Today we went to check out the neighborhood I grew up in [Valley Stream] and hit a few church thrift stores while there. Picked up a nice promo copy of Dennis Wilson Pacific Ocean Blue and Clapton, Beck, Page Guitar Boogie for $1 each.

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Eight 45s

Wings ~ Hi Hi Hi (UK Apple)
    Johnny Rebb & his Rebels ~ Rock On (Aussie Leedon)
    Tommy Roe ~ Dizzy (German Columbia PS)
    Dick and Dee Dee ~ The Mountain's High (UK London)
    Bad To Me (Lennon/McCartney) ~ Billy J Kramer with The Dakotas (UK Parlophone)
    Buzz Carson ~ Adam & Eve (Aussie Stateside)
    Cat Stevens ~ Matthew and Son (UK Deram)
    Jet Harris & Tony Meehan ~ Scarlett O'Hara (UK Decca)

$5 The lot.

xdawg, HominyRhodes and mike catucci like this.
  20. HominyRhodes

I'll give you $6 for them -- that's 20% profit. Whatta ya say? :winkgrin:

(What a bunch of classic records -- congrats.)

Mylene likes this.
  21. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

PF -Dark Side of the Moon 3rd U.S. Harvest pressing VG+ 9.00 after cleaning it in the Spin Clean the noise dropped considerably and the album sounds fantastic, may be my best find to date.
    Neil Diamond -Heartlight Columbia TML-M in the deadwax Mint 2.00 Sounds wonderful.
    Chuck Mangione -Children of Sanchez RL Masterdisk VG+ sound stage is phenomenal and for 4.00! This is now my go to album for system demos
    Steely Dan -Gaucho RL Masterdisk G have not played it yet.
    Steely Dan Pretzel Logic M 10.00 have not played it yet
    Steely Dan -Royal Scam G+ 3.00 have not played yet
    Foreigner -Agent Provocateur VG 2.00 not spun yet
    Foreigner -Inside Information VG 2.00 not spun yet
    Barry Manilow -Even Now VG 1.00 have not spun yet
    Sade -Promise VG 3.00 Sounds very good. Have not checked dead wax yet.
    Henry Lee Summer -ST 5.00 Sealed -I love this guy, saw him 3 times when he opened for Chicago in the early 90's. What a great feel good album. Highly recommended!
    Chuck Mangione -Alive Masterdisk-HG VG 2.00 Sounds nice but nowhere near the mastering of CoS and RL.

xdawg likes this.
  22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Mono of Simon & Garfunkel- Wednesday Morning, 3AM

I am loving S &G in mono. Now if I can find one of Bookends...

HominyRhodes and xdawg like this.
  23. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

David Crosby/Graham Nash 1972 release - Atlantic/Rhino $3.99
    America - Encore: More Greatest Hits - Rhino $4.99 (been looking for this one - has four new songs only available here, I believe)
    Yes - YesYears box set Atco $14.99 (box worn, but the booklet and the four discs look good)

xdawg likes this.
  24. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fairport Convention is for the wife. The rest is not. I would have killed for that Turbonegro at twice the price.

xdawg likes this.
  25. Disk Union (Tokyo suburbs)

Pink Floyd- Atom Heart Mother (Japanese EMI EMS 80320, obi and all inserts 1978), bit of luck with this one, the sleeve, obi and inserts are all flawless, just a couple of light scuffs on the vinyl but it looks and plays like new. I'm not hugely into PF and I'd never heard this one before. Not at all bad musically, IMO.
    Steely Dan- Aja (Japanese ABC gatefold YX 8114 AB, obi and inserts, NM). ¥1850 .I already have this but not quite as clean. You can never have too much Dan :agree:. I might frame the other copy.

They had quite a bit of Italian prog on Japanese pressings last week, I might investigate....

Mik and xdawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.