China's GoerTek acquired majority shares in Dynaudio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

There goes the value of my Dynaudio speakers when selling these in the future, does say this proud owner of the Dynaudio Confidence C2...

formu_la likes this.
  3. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

It's not like I have $41.5m sitting around, but that's all it took for 83% of the company? Why did I think they were bigger than this?

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I would say its more likely the value of "real" Dynaudios could increase.

On the other hand, I'm not sure why one buys a company like Dynaudio with the intent of lowering the bar.

5. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Well, I'm afraid part of the construction of Dynaudio speakers will be done soon in China. Is the use of coming economics of scale and cheap labour (= fast coming profits) not the biggest reasons of the new Chinese owner for acquiring majority shares of that great Danish brand?

When that's happening I'm afraid the quality (imo) will go down which will diminish the now very positive image of Dynaudio... True, 'real' (=Danish) Dynaudio will stay relarively popular, but that will not be enough for possible sellers who will need, at a certain day, spare parts...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

When selling your C2s you'll just need to advertise as pre-2015 models.;)

Echo likes this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think its ridiculous to assume a Chinese company that bought Dynaudio might make some products in China, but I have a feeling it will be more like the B&W model by which the top end is still built in England, and the lower models build in China still receive plenty of accolades. Like I said, one doesn't spend $40 million on a company with the intent of turning it into a $20 million company. Its also just as likely they don't change much at all. I think McIntosh is owned by an Italian company at the moment, but they didn't start making a pasta maker with blue meters on it.

I also think its pretty common for people to have the wrong attitude towards Chinese manufacturing. When Chinese factories cut corners, it's usually because gringos asked them to.

Echo likes this.
  8. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I've heard the fit and finish of the China built KEF LS50 is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.