Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Mine was perfect too as was the CCR records from AP that I bought that previous poster had issues with.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'd give Sgt. Pepper priority, it's different enough—better in many ways. The pitch/speed on "She's Leaving Home" and "When I'm 64" is higher, which was Paul's intention. The take used for the reprise of "Sgt. Pepper" rocks more, the orchestral climax in "A Day In The Life" is bigger. And as packages, these replicas of the original UK covers and labels are very fine. I used to have the Parlophone 2-box stereos, these are better

Gavinyl likes this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Sgt pepper reprise is the same take in mono and stereo though.

Huck Caton likes this.
  4. Bill Lettang

Bill Lettang Forum Resident

:)
    I would think this was cut from the 2009 eq'd digital files.....seriously, they're not gonna splice together a new reel... and do a re-cut all analog laquer.........If this is the case, it affords us an opprtunity to hear what Beatles digital mono to vinyl sounds like. Who knows, if we're lucky, someday we might get to hear the Beatles on an Edison cylinder edition. :)

5. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

What Robin said, pretty much. Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are must-hears in mono, the White Album is more a curiosity. For me, the early stuff -- while I actually enjoy hearing it in stereo -- comes alive without the weird separation on the stereo tracks. More generally, the heft and clarity of the sound on these reissues is perhaps even more of an attraction than the mixes themselves.

Gavinyl and Robin L like this.
  6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Looked it up, the variation is due to different application of effects, crowd noises etc.

Gavinyl likes this.
  7. Izak

Izak Forum Resident

My box set arrived today, the Mrs. just sent me a picture of it in it's shipping box! Why am I stuck here at work?!

Gavinyl and mrgroove01 like this.
  8. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I am NOT a happy camper here, folks.... About 3 days ago, I just swapped out my old Stanton 500 v.3 for a brand-spankin' new Ortofon Omega-which I was sure would be something of an improvement since it has an elliptical stylus and a lighter tracking force of only up to 2.o grams (I tried the recommended 1.75 tracking force), and I'm pretty sure I aligned it right (I have a thick 70's Sony headshell on med. mass s-shaped tonearm; Actually, it's a little straighter than your average s-shape). Of course, among the first albums to come out for "testing" purposes were some of my mono Beatles albums. Needless to say, I don't know if the Omega is SO good that it reveals an album's real condition or what...but I'm hearing twice as much IGD then I thought were there, ESPECIALLY in the 2 closing cuts on side 2 of 'Rubber Soul' AND 3 sides of 'Mono Masters'. Then again, They've each been played about 6 times now since I bought the box last month. And it can't be the cart, b/c every other record (INCLUDING some of my 2012 Stereo selections from the black box) track BEAUTIFULLY from start to finish. Is this just an issue with the weight of the cart and mass of the headshell? Or could it be that I have already begun to wear out my mono box on some albums (and maybe need to buy extra individual copies)....I'm DYING to know...What to do here (and I can't return the cart to the music store I bought it from, b/c they don't do returns on Phono carts or accessories). Anyway, apologies for going a bit off-topic.

9. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Kinda what set me off about the new Maiden reissues. In one corner majesty in the other takin a p*ss.

10. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it only takes playing an album once with a worn or damaged stylus to ruin the grooves, and the inner grooves are the place you'll hear it most. If you are certain you have your new cart aligned and set up correctly, that is probably what happened. I have absolutely no IGD on mine. With a properly set up table/cart, you will not wear out records in your lifetime, certainly not in 6 plays. I would double check your set up first before despairing though. Also, check the albums you haven't played yet -- if they have no IGD, then I think you have your answer.

Vinyl Dude, bluemooze and Robin L like this.
  11. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

When I'm 64 is played at the same pitch on both the mono and stereo mixes.

Dmann201 and Huck Caton like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Jason Serinus from Stereophile says otherwise:

"Finally came "When I'm 64" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. When Paul McCartney recorded this track, he was supposed to have raised the pitch by a half-step in the mono version to make him sound younger and more naive. The stereo, which is pitched a half step lower despite Paul's wishes, came from a much coveted UK 1st pressing, yellow and black Parlophone, Mothers 1&2, stampers in the low teens. (Michael approved ;-)) Yet despite its provenance, the mono version sounded so much better, and so "you are there," that I had a mini flashback to the summer of 1967, when I was listening to this music for the first time, so stoned out of my tree that I didn't mind (for once) the horrible distortion from our crappy one-piece record player."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/rmaf-2014-meet-beatles

Gavinyl likes this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No.

14. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

just received the box set and played a cut or 2 from PPM, AHDN, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, MMT, White Album side 3, and Mono Masters Revolution. All were flat and relatively quiet. Only Revolver had some marks on both sides. Hard for me to describe what they are. It was on the Eleanor Rigby cut but it didn't seem to have any affect on the sound. I will post some pics tomorrow evening and would appreciate your opinions on weather I should contact CCM whom I purchased it from.

15. paulisme

They must have corrected it for the 2009 CDs, then, because on both the 2009 mono and 2009 stereo it's in D flat.

Dmann201 and Huck Caton like this.
  16. paulisme

I just put on my late '70's UK stereo pressing from the Blue Box and it's in D flat, too.

Robin L and Huck Caton like this.
  17. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Did the 2009 CD fix "She's Leaving Home" too?

19. paulisme

No, the mono version is a higher pitch than the stereo version on every release I've heard. If you notice my next post you'll see that my late 70's UK pressing has When I'm 64 in D flat, same as the 2009 stereo and mono CDs. I want to know exactly which pressing has When I'm 64 in C.

20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Both of my White Album discs are slightly warped on the outer edge. Aside from that they do sound fantastic.
    Revolver and Rubber Soul have zero flaws.

21. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Love the Kenwood !!!!!!! I have a KR-9400

Robin L likes this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

According to Mr. Serinus, "a much coveted UK 1st pressing, yellow and black Parlophone, Mothers 1&2, stampers in the low teens."

23. paulisme

So either the first stereo pressing erroneously contained When I'm 64 at the original speed and was corrected on subsequent pressings, or the author of that article is simply mistaken. I can't find anything on the web about original stereo pressings containing this error, so I'm inclined to think it's the latter. Can anyone with an original stereo pressing confirm this?

24. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I know that Jason has perfect pitch. Both versions were played, doubt he was mistaken.

25. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

Jason Serinus is kind of, well….anyway, he's mistaken. The tune in question is "She's Leaving Home." This even came up in this thread, about a million posts back. It's also mentioned on page 9 of the book which is included in the box "The Beatles In Mono". And I seem to remember reading it in another Beatles book recently, but can't recall which one. Serinus is dead wrong!

Huck Caton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.