Grateful Dead documentary produced by Scorsese

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

You know this is going to be well done.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Can't wait. I just recently got in the Dead and while I enjoy the music I know absolutely nothing about them. I don't even know who sings and plays what on the songs.

4. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

So Far (pun fully intended), the best Dead doc is the Anthem To Beauty DVD.
    I'd like to see an all-career project like that. Beatles Anthology style.
    I'm a little skeptical about any Dead documentary by a non-insider or someone who isn't a Deadhead. It's hard to capture or describe them from an outside viewpoint. I just hope it's not all 'drugs and personal destruction', with little musical and cultural examples of what makes us love them so much.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Even though drugs did harm to the band (well, maybe LSD helped, but that's impossible to prove), Grateful Dead was not the typical decadent-and-glamurous-sex-drugs-and-rock-n'-roll-band at all. Furthermore, internal battles were not explosive or public enough to make a documentary about scandals. If you want to talk about the Dead, music should be the main focus. Of course, the "Dead scene" (deadheads, concertgoers folklore, etc.) will ocuppy large chunks of the feature.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I'm totally with you on that. I am a Dead fanatic with 60-70 shows under my belt! I still carry my experiences with them frequently.
    It's just that outside perceptions lean toward drug and lifestyle speculations instead of the music and I hope this doc will steer clear of it. Of course that was part of the experience- it shouldn't be ignored- but let's hope one goes away uplifted by their music and their contribution to culture.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If they give the Pigpen years short shrift, then it loses all credibility with ,me.

Ghostworld and quicksilverbudie like this.
  8. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

They could involve every expert on the band and it would still piss some Deadheads off. There are few bands with fans so critical. And I oughta know because I'm one of them.

ianuaditis and Complier like this.
  9. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Scorsese really likes to make documentaries about rock bands and rock stars.

10. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

11. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed in his George Harrison movie. Way too much time spent on The Beatles which, in addition to being well known, only accounts for 10 years of his life. I would have preferred it to give maybe a 1/2 hour to his time in The Beatles, and focus on the George when he was out of the public spotlight. Also thought his Dylan movie was just okay (and also think it's responsible for the least interesting of The Bootleg Series releases, but that's another story).

But I love The Last Waltz and Shine a Light. I guess I like him better when filming concerts, than documentaries.

12. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Any word if this is still happening?

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I hope it does!

14. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I'm starting to think this isn't happening

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I kind of hope it doesn't happen. If the focus is on the musical output and how it came to be, it will be hard to sell. That means the focus will be on dope and dysfunction surrounding the members of the band and the concert goers. That seems to be the main story in the past 20 years and I don't care to hear it again. It's better to just listen to the music than lift the veil on the rest of it.

16. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

17. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

It's premiering at Sundance Film Festival in January 2017:

Running from January 19-29 in Park City, Salt Lake City and at the Sundance Mountain Resort, the Robert Redford-founded fest today added the world premieres of American documentaries Bending the Arc and the Grateful Dead-spotlighting Long Strange Trip to its lineup.

Long Strange Trip / U.S.A. (Director: Amir Bar-Lev) — The tale of The Grateful Dead is inspiring, complicated, and downright messy. A tribe of contrarians, they made art out of open-ended chaos and inadvertently achieved success on their own terms. Never-before-seen footage and interviews offer this unprecedented and unvarnished look at the life of the Dead. World Premiere

Complier likes this.
  18. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It's going to be a very tough story to get right in the confines of a 2 hour film. My favorite archival oriented Dead videos to date are Backstage Pass and Anthem to Beauty. I'd have to be honest and say I have high hopes and low expectations. That said, I hope it's great - they deserve it.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So we have perhaps a 4 hour mini-series, and/or a 2 hr documentary???

20. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

If I watch this documentary and find that Joe Pesci cut off Jerry's finger and Robert DeNiro wrapped a phone cord around Brent's neck, we're gonna have a problem

21. Complier

Complier Senior Member

So it's now a 2 hour movie. This will provide no new details most Deadheads haven't already known.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The Bob Weir documentary on Netflix now "The Other One" was so boring we could use an interesting one.

mike65! likes this.
  23. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Complier likes this.
  24. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

It sorta fits that a definitive documentary on the Grateful Dead would be verging on 4 hours long, though my kind of an engaging Grateful Dead documentary is a video recording of a live concert :)
    Having said that, i'll look forward to this one, Scorcese's No Direction Home imo was an outstanding documentary, an all time great.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So they expect a big turn out for a 4 hour documentary? Hopefully, this will be available on BR or aired somewhere. I don't have the attention span to sit that long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.