Best Concert Movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

So, I finally got around to watching my bluray copy of the Last Waltz.

I've seen snippets here and there on TV when its aired, but never end to end.

What I *really* liked was the camera work/direction during the concert sequences. You actually got to see sustained shots of the different performers and *see* the performance and emotion.

Other concerts movies I've seen - especially rock - have horrible frenetic frame jumping where every second the shot jumps around to create the illusion of 'energy'...bleh....

Or, there is the other extreme where there is an over long close up of say just the lead singer's face....forever....

Let me see 'the performance'.

What's your favorite?

CBC and Drifter like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just started here...

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

Don't have that one yet.

But I do have the BD copy of Clapton and Winwood - Live at Madison Sq Garden - that is another one I like for both the music and camera work.

Folknik likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

5. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I like The Last Waltz also but its slanted too heavily towards Robertson. Lots of others I like including Concert For George, Rush Time Machine 2011, David Gilmour Live In Gdansk, Roger Waters In The Flesh, Elvis Presley Aloha Via Satellite, etc.

I've reached the point where I won't go to a big hall or stadium concert because I don't enjoy the crowd. And I'll only plunk out money to go to a club concert if I'm in the first 6 rows... So these dvd's do it for me.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Stop Making Sense" is rightfully lauded.

I'm a big "Sign o the Times" and "Rockshow" guy, too!

Zep Fan, guy incognito and Abbey Road like this.
  7. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

8. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

stop making sense is a landmark of cinema.
    Concert for george
    Woodstock
    If I could like the Band, I'd recommend The Last Waltz

10. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

My fave is still The Rolling Stones' 'Gimme Shelter' (and the remaster just cements that).
    It might be a bit Mick-centric and drifts at times, but it's quite dramatic and has the dubious distinction of being the only rock concert movie culminating in a human sacrifice.

11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

One of my favorite concert movies is No Nukes. Even in its cut-off full screen version that was released on VHS and laserdisc years ago you can see the great camera work shining through. Long cuts, interesting interplay between back and foreground, and not trying to artificially liven up the performance. I love the camera work on the Doobies, Jackson Browne, etc.

I agree with you 100% here. I would gather that fault should be placed on the director. Unless the artist specifically asked for that kind of viewing experience, it's ridiculous and shows a lack of respect for the music and cheapens the experience.

Take my example of No Nukes. One of the most frenetic rock and roll performances ever put to film is Bruce Springsteen's "Quarter to Three". Guess what, that includes a shot that is 1 minute and 40 seconds long. Unheard of! And I'll bet almost nobody noticed how long the cut was because it is anything but boring. Yet it draws you in even more than it would otherwise because of the sense of context that builds, where the other band members are in the shot, and knowing (even if subconsciously) that it's not contrived. The long cut proves that is really happened, just as we see it. With all those quick cuts, as the OP said, one can create 'energy' from a bunch of shots, but it ends up feeling hollow in the end.

I may have mentioned this before: release No Nukes on DVD/Blu-ray please!

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Concert For George is the best one for me. I have the Last Waltz, maybe it's because I've never been a fan of the majority of people on that show, but I find it to be pretty boring. Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's is a really good one. Carl Perkins and Friends A Rockabilly Session doesn't have fantastic video or hi-res audio quality, but it is incredible fun and entertaining. Woodstock is another one I really like, although that one may be because I do enjoy most of the performers on that show. Black Sabbath Paris 1970, raw power and energy.

Tex_Writer and ampmods like this.
  13. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Brian Setzer Orchestra Live In Tokyo

Concert For George

14. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

When I saw the thread title, my immediate thought was The Last Waltz. Glad you're on top of that, OP.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Woodstock...1969

john lennonist and rockclassics like this.
  16. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Monterey Pop (Criterion)
    Concert for George
    Rock Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary Concerts
    No Nukes
    Each great

Tex_Writer likes this.
  17. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

It's a bit weird with the gnomes dancing around, but I love Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps"

john lennonist, P(orF) and Muzyck like this.
  18. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Monterey Pop

carville, CBC and john lennonist like this.
  19. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I also agree with Stop Making Sense. David Byrne's "Ride Rise Roar" Blu-ray is also excellent.

Runners up for me are The Last Waltz and Shine a Light.

Zep Fan and Ken_McAlinden like this.
  20. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Stop Making Sense.

Zep Fan and Ken_McAlinden like this.
  21. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Woodstock.

22. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Monterey Pop

23. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Laurie Anderson - Home Of The Brave
    Prince - Sign O The Times.

Bender Rodriguez and Zep Fan like this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Englishmen. I saw this when it was first released in the theater and it was great. Joe Cocker and Leon Russell were two of my favorites back then. Years later, I got the movie on VHS tape.

25. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Woodstock, I think, suffers from the length - too much of "WE NEEDED TO CAPTURE EVERYTHING!" The PortaSan man should not have enough material to merit his own DVD chapter.

Too much trivial split-screen stuff not involving the artists; I was bummed to realize there's all of, what, seven minutes of Jimi Hendrix??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.