Sorry but the whole 1990s Music makes me cringe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Good Guy, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

A lot of the 90s music I grew up with I've thrown out since discovering bigger things. I don't see myself listening to The Verve, Pulp or Oasis again, although they were fine at the time. On the other hand Radiohead, REM and Portishead made some of my favourite albums in that decade.

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Now listen here pardner, Ima talking bout Tom Petty's 1990s music.

3. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I think you need to choose your examples better. Elvis wore eye shadow, and Michael Jackson had the musical talent to go with his dancing and "stupid makep".

SwollenGoat, Robin L and Shak Cohen like this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

No, no and another no!

Remember: different than the '60's and early '70's, the charts of the last three decades have nothing or little to do with musical quality (of course, there are enough exceptions on both sides). I'm talking here, by the way, about the US charts. In the UK the musical situation of the charts was for a much longer time fine thanks to people like e.g. John Peel (RIP).

So when we're talking about good music of the last decades, we're mostly talking about underground or alternative music! What else?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    wolfram likes this.
  5. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What about Kim Richey or Desert Rose Band?

6. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Please, go to Google images and look up "Elvis Presley", tell me, what do you see. The first twenty pictures show him wearing no makeup at all. If he wore anything, he only wore it occasionally like during movies. Nothing like KISS painting their entire faces for attention

You trying to say that Elvis wearing a little bit of makeup was a major factor in him being a musical genius that he was is down right preposterous

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

How is that understood? If I talk about the music of a certain timeframe and don't specify it any further, I talk about all the music, not just a small segment.

8. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I just thought if you wanted to make a point about makeup and trading on appearance you could have chosen someone other than Elvis Presley. Kind of seems irrelevant to me either way, the music's either good or it's not. If you don't think Michael Jackson was talented, David Bowie? Plenty of stupid makeup there...

9. Joshua277456

Why would you inherently be talking about underground artists? It makes no sense. My favorite decade of music was the 1960s. Now, what do most people think when I say that? the Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, etc. Not a band that nobody has ever heard of.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Joshua277456

Why would you inherently be talking about underground music of the last few decades? It doesn't make any sense. Someone says "Man I love 1980s music" names like MJ come to mind for most people. Not some underground band nobody has ever heard of.

11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

There was also in the charts of the '60s great bands which never have been positioned. Take the example of the Velvet Underground, 13 Floor Elevators or The Stooges :)

Can't we talk about these bands because 'nobody has ever heard of' these? I thought I'm here at a music site, so I suppose I'm here among music lovers and these KNOW (almost) ALL GOOD MUSIC! From the charts and especially from the underground :)

(and in the case you've missed some fine bands or musicians, than you're eager to listen to these and maybe even to purchase these; from the old days or from right now)

SwollenGoat likes this.
  12. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Which is actually fantastic. Still doesn't make 1990s great in my mind though. Just means it was a decade of crap bolstered by old-time artists.

13. Joshua277456

Are you agreeing with me on the whole stupid makeup thing?

When I listen to music I am listening for beautiful melodies, good rhythm, meaningful lyrics, harmonies, etc. I am not looking at any stupid makeup on anybody's face.

14. wolfram

My favourite 60s band are the Velvet Underground, not exactly big at their time. And when I say I like 80s music, I think about Talking Heads, Laurie Anderson, The The, Peter Gabriel, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Prince, The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc. Some are more popular than others, but it doesn't start and end with MJ and Madonna. Only referring to the top charting mainstream acts makes no sense to me.

15. Joshua277456

Of course, we are here to discuss all aspects of music. Mainstream, underground, whatever.

I still am standing by my statement though regarding implications made when referring to an entire decade of music without referring to anything specific.

16. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Let them compare underground artists if they want - c'mon guys, dig through the fabulous undergrowth of the '90s and find me an equal of Forever Changes or a Pretty Things or Velvet Underground album...

17. Joshua277456

While only referring to the top of the charts make no sense, the implications are still the same. I like the 1960s means I like the Beatles and Hendrix, for most people.

18. Joshua277456

I don't think there are any equals man

Shak Cohen likes this.
  19. wolfram

Not on a music forum where people usually have a broader insight in the music of a certain era.

Looks like we disagree. I don't think the implication is in any way obvious. Whatever.

20. Jonno

Jonno Forum Resident

I don't think I'm agreeing with you because you seem to think makeup is something to be angry about or that it indicates a lack of talent. If you're not concerned about it I don't know why you've brought up the subject and keep calling it "stupid". I like Michael Jackson's music and respect his talent, I'm genuinely not bothered either way what he looked like.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Wolfram, dear Joshua277something and Shak Cohen don't want to learn anything about more modern music. This is flogging a dead horse. There were so many albums in the '90s which are equal to the '60's albums being mentionned, but those fellow members are not familiair with these and they don't want it! Blessed by ignorance, so to speak...

It's so silly they're not open to newer music, than they would have known much music of the 90's was even very much influenced by bands like The Velvet Underground - which was even mentionned by one of them as example how great the sixties were. And in that case he was even right! The Velvets were 25-30 years ahead of their time!

Lost In The Flood, shaboo and wolfram like this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Which is insane because the 60s were also the heyday of Tom Jones, Englebert Humperdinck, Johnny Mathis, Shirley Bassey, Nancy Wilson, Dean Martin and a multitude of other artists rarely cited in this context but being broadcast on top 40 cheek by jowl with the Beatles and their musical compatriots. Music is never one singular sensation, it is a multitude of different voices, catering to different audiences, coming from different musical backgrounds and what's good is good, what's not is not, independent of genre or decade of production.

23. Joshua277456

Whenever I talk to somebody and I tell them what my favorite decade is, they immediately spit out the Beatles and Hendrix. I bet if I did the same on here most people would think I am referring to them because it's implied.

24. Joshua277456

I agree with everything you're saying. It's not my fault that the implications are what they are. Blame the vastly popular artists of the 1960s for making it almost a stereotype and for taking away from the great, talented more underground acts

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm looking for old and different. I'm primarily a Classic Rock Fan, however I have recently gotten into Frank Sinatra of the '40s and onward... also, Johnny Cash. I have been buying and enjoying their records for the past several months. So, I'm discovering lots of new old music that does not conform to any one particular style.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.