Status Quo: Piledriver and Live! 2014 remasters (deluxe sets)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

No discussion about those yet...Piledriver went through pretty unnoticed because everybody assumed that it was just the 2005 remaster (which it wasn't) and because the bonus material was not new. Live! on the other hand, got quite a bit of criticism and praise from Status Quo fans. I think both sound better (more dynamic, less fatiguing) than the 05/06 remasters, and especially Live! is so much clearer over headphones. On the other hand, many complain about less bass and treble (does it really matter?).
    Any thoughts?

2. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

I'm pretty happy with the set of remasters I have - not sure of the year though (were they done in 1999 maybe?). Simply great albums - the rawness of Piledriver and the no nonsense attack of Live! have always made it one of the essential live albums of all time.

3. JulesRules

Well, I only know about the 2005/2006 remasters and they are too compressed in my opinion, also too much treble on some of them. So I'm happy to have an alternative and I'm interested in any further re-releases like this.

4. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

On second thoughts I think mine are the 2005 ones after all (checking via Amazon etc).

I really only have time for listening in the car these days and definitely no Quo when the wife is around lol. Car stereo has the bass to the max or just short of it, and treble trimmed away off. So these albums sound great. I can't listen to my vinyl of Live! anymore - so probably a good thing! I couldn't afford a switch back to vinyl until I get the kids out of the house (need the room!)

5. JulesRules

:(

ifihadafish likes this.
  6. JulesRules

So, nobody on this forum bought Piledriver (Deluxe Edition) or the Live! box?

7. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Any more thoughts on the Live! box? As JulesRules says quite a bit of criticism of the sound quality flying around...

JulesRules likes this.
  8. JulesRules

The only thing I can add is that Andy Pearce apparently did the remastering.

Mr Wensleydale likes this.
  9. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

Good enough for me - ordered!

JulesRules likes this.
  10. JulesRules

Finally, somebody else besides me on this forum to talk about the sound quality :)

I do feel that the critics have a bit of a point, the mastering is relatively heavy on the mids - but it's less compressed than the Turan remaster and I feel I can hear more details - the same thing applies to the Quo album. Mind you, I haven't heard the original CD release so cannot comment on the opinions of those who say that sounded better.
    In the case of Australia '74, it's a soundboard recording and perhaps even a tape copy (the fade out/in after 46 minutes seems to be a clue) so simply a case of enjoying the performance, but definitely not the sonics.

Mr Wensleydale likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.