The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Wow, Kiske still can sing.

Engelsstaub likes this.
  3. Engelsstaub

Engelsstaub Forum Resident

I think he actually sings even better now than he did in Keeper of the Seven Keys-era Helloween. Michael Kiske is amazing.

Brudy likes this.
  4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Funny you should mention Winger. I just recently ordered Winger IV (out of print except Japan afaik) and Better Days Comin' Tour Edition, both from CDJapan. BDC is one of my favorite albums for 2014. The "tour edition" is probably no great shakes, just has 2 extra live tracks plus a "stoner mix" (whatever that is) of the title track, but I decided to pick it up.

I'm not a fan of Winger prior to Pull (1993) though. I did get the 1st one and In the Heart of the Young but don't like either of them. As I said earlier in this thread I only discovered Winger this year with the new album - prior to that I thought I hated them (but it's just the early albums I dislike).

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

The biggest speakers and man, they blast!

Like the graven image of Wotan, carved from the living wood as beheld in The Fall Of The Roman Empire, there is something endemically totemistic about gently revering the transducers delivering the lower frequencies.

[​IMG]

motorcitydave likes this.
  6. Nice Marmot

If you didn't like Sasquatch and Dirty Americans, there's always:

kyouki, Rapid Fire and GodShifter like this.
  7. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Huge Earthless fan here, saw a few albums mentioned and wanted to share this hour-long slab of heavy THC soaked jam-psych from the Roadburn fest. Recorded at the 2012 fest on April 14th and released on the Roadburn label. While I prefer the spaciousness afforded by the trio lineup this is a nice alternative to the classic Earthless sound with dueling leads and Rubalcaba driving many of the changes in tempo and direction. I find his kit a bit neutered at times but it's still a hellacious smoke-out of a listen.

Earthless meets Heavy Blanket: In A Dutch Haze

J Mascis: Guitar
    Graham Clise: Guitar
    Mike Eginton: Bass
    Mario Rubalcaba: Drums

[​IMG]

8. Nice Marmot

This is one of my favorites of the year. Great Stuff!

9. AxiomAcoustics

It is a beauty eh? That hour went by quickly. Here's hoping for more releases from this combo.

Brudy likes this.
  10. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Epic!!!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

So, I've neglected this thread pretty badly after creating it sometime back, but what can I say? Life has hit me full force, so I just do my best to keep up with things as best I can.

Anyway, I've lately been digging on Monotonix who was a band out of Tel Aviv, Israel. They were known for their absolutely crazy live shows where, basically, anything goes. The singer, Ami Shalev, would go out in the audience and pour beer on people, jump from the rafters (once breaking his leg during the performance), and all sorts of other crazy stuff. Basically, the band made their live shows an event. Eventually, they were banned from most places in Tel Aviv, so they decided to tour America relentlessly.

But the music is really good, too. Their guitarist, Yonatan Gat, is a master at playing cutting, biting rhythms while only supported by a drummer. And, in fact, that's why the live shows worked so well for what Monotonix did. The drummer and guitarist just worked off each other and so chaos could ensue with the band staying, relatively, together. Check out some of their other videos on youtube to get an idea of the crazy vibe that would go on when they'd play. I linked a video of them playing at SXSW in 2007 (which, I think, is one of their first performances in the US). They'd go onto to play about 400 shows in a short span of time. In other words, they were maniacs of the highest order. Sadly, they broke up sometime back. RIP Monotonix.

I heartily recommend the 2008 EP Body Language (Drag City) as a good place to start. Utter crazy punk garage metal (or something like that).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Brudy and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

Staying in a similar vein here's another trio with a heavy-rock improv aesthetic. Recorded at their home studio in Austin TX with an obvious minimalist approach to recording, this is their most recent release on Small Stone. Four tracks and the truth.

Tia Carrera: Cosmic Priestess

Erik Conn: Drums
    James Sims: Bass
    Jason Morales: Guitar

[​IMG]

Not to be confused with the apple of my eye:

[​IMG]

;)

13. AxiomAcoustics

I'm not stalking you, honest.:laugh:

BTW, I just mentioned Drag City in the Avant thread re: Gastr Del Sol.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. GodShifter

"Stalk" away ;).

Seems we like a lot of the same stuff. Interesting that you supplied a sample of Tia Carrere as I mentioned them sometime back (I can't remember if it was this thread or not) for people that dug the experimental, psychedelic vibe that Earthless does. In fact, I think I dig TC a bit more than Earthless, if truth be told.

You have good taste, sir.

15. AxiomAcoustics

As do you.:tiphat::thumbsup: Freaked me out after posting that ASMZ on the other thread then this post when you popped up right above me again. Had to say something. I tend to agree on TC, my issue is that neither band puts out enough material IMO. Great thread!

GodShifter likes this.
  16. AxiomAcoustics

It there's a defining 'sound' to the Pacific Northwest Doom has got to be one of the contenders. With seemingly endless rain and a sky-ceiling that you can reach out and touch for half the year, plus easily accessible wilderness in which to escape (however you choose) bands like Yob, Wolves In The Throne Room, Sunn 0))), Agalloch, Burning Witch etc etc are playing the soundtrack to our grey and gloomy malaise. No, Nirvana does not count.:tsk: Anyhow, I think there are many ways to covey the feeling, including dense and claustrophobic to spacious and leaden. This duo tends toward the latter, where the air is filled with decay. Fitting.

Bell Witch: Longing

Adrian Guerra: Drums and Vocals
    Dylan Desmond: Bass and Vocals

[​IMG]

17. Nice Marmot

Speaking of Small Stone, I am digging this. It has the dude from Iota who sounds like Chris Cornell and someone else that I can't put a name to.

Dwellers- Pagan Fruit

[​IMG]

GodShifter and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  18. AxiomAcoustics

Good chit, on the Wish List...thanx! Don't know how I missed this thread, trying to catch up.

old school likes this.
  19. GodShifter

Iota was a good band. Too bad they couldn't do more. They hit upon some Earthless elements with some of their longer compositions on Tales.

20. AxiomAcoustics

A bit of the guy from Witchcraft filtered through a Jerry Cantrell thang at times?

21. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yes they do, but my speakers are not the biggest...unless you are referring to somebody else.

I agree with you on that point. Totemistic it is!

22. AxiomAcoustics

SUNN 0))) ~ BORIS: ALTAR

Room pressurizing.

[​IMG]

Brudy likes this.
  23. Nice Marmot

I cannot pin point who it reminds me of. It's always just on the tip of my tongue, but I can never grasp it.

24. Nice Marmot

This album is so contrived. It has some young television starlet, who I've never heard of, who's show I've never seen; but, she has surrounded herself with good musicians and can sing decently enough. This is far better than some of the worst 80s hair metal bands.

[​IMG]

25. old school

old school Senior Member

The Towers of Avarice is Zero Hour's second album, and their first on the Sensory record label. The album is conceptual, with a story reminiscent of the Silent Era movie Metropolis. Great Prog Metal from 2001.
    1. "The Towers of Avarice" – 7:52
    2. "The Subterranean" – 4:11
    3. "Strategem" – 8:06
    4. "Reflections" – 3:56
    5. "Demise and Vestige" – 15:47
    6. "The Ghosts of Dawn" – 5:3