Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Always liked this version, the first place I ever heard this song...and the second album I ever owned (after the AHDN soundtrack). Used to play 'em on my folks' Sears Silvertone console stereo, like the one you see on the left.

You know, the young Cherilyn Sarkisian really was one heck of a singer....her husband, ehhh...

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    HominyRhodes and notesfrom like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The fact that you would compare Wild Wolf to Dirge is all I need to be excited for it!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

4. George P

George P Notable Member

The link isn't working for the podcast, but if folks go to soundcloud and search "Dylan Basement Podcast" it will pop right up.

5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Clicking the link should do just that. Works for me. All 3 parts are listed.

6. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

LOL according to the podcast, i was right all along, the BT is the ground zero of Americana.
    One thing we learn from listening to the snippets, is that there is a reason bob avoided recording with the Band. i bet if he could he would take Planet Waves back.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Good. Must be my browser. I'm at work.

8. What do you mean?

9. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

im definitely not a fan of the Bands backings on Planet Waves, and Bob never had them on an album after that.

10. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

But what is it you hear in the snippets to confirm this....?

11. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

to confirm what? The band did the basement thing because they were under contract for the tour that got cancelled, so bob figured to have them come do some playing.

12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Similar to the negative experience you must have had with apostrophes?

13. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Isn't there a Bob quote somewhere about Planet Waves to the effect of "by the time we did that record, they were The Band, and I had wanted The Hawks"? Back in BT days though, they fit perfectly. Dylan's tried hard throughout his career to completely alienate any band he's playing with enough that they are unfamiliar with the material he's having them play, but The Band in 1967 could follow him through anything.

14. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I love The Band's backing on Planet Waves.
    Anyway this does not make sense. We know Bob moved on and so did The Band.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. Ha ha.
    Well, I'm not a great fan of Planet Waves either, but other than The Band's involvement I'm struggling to see the connection with The Basement Tapes.

16. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

no man, i dont do apostrophes. oi. sorry hope you dont have have to give my posts an F.

what it has to do with the basement tapes, is that the Band is the backing band for both. Now im not going to run them down for their awful playing on it since the recording circumstance was not optimal, but when we move to Planet Waves there is no such excuse. the singing and songwriting on PW is top notch but the playing on it not so much.
    lets not forget that that they were bounced from Blonde on Blonde.

17. I agree about Planet Waves, to an extent.
    But The Basement Tapes, the tour in 66? Nah.
    But hey, each to their own :)

18. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

i like them in 66 and Before the Flood, Dankos bass kills it in 74, but studio wise they lacked.
    i saw them live with the classic line up way back in the day, and they just didnt impress me. i dont like that robertson clipped guitar.
    i dont think dylan was ever a fan of the 74 tour, or the BT, but you can bet he never saw eye to eye with that 66 live sound. he fought the release of that stuff for many many years.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

No need for an "F" when the "Ignore" button is so handy :) Have a nice day!

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. Thelonious_Cube

Unless I'm misreading you, when you said

you implied that there is something in the samples (or the BT as a whole) that points to a soured relationship. I'm wondering what it is you're hearing that makes you say that.

21. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

they aint very good the backings on the snippets and on the available tracks. that is playing on tupelo.

22. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

adios, professor.

23. Thelonious_Cube

Well, I disagree with you on that, but our opinions aren't really the issue.

If that was also Bob's opinion, why did he continue to work with them - WG Tribute, Isle of Wight, New Years' Eve 1971, 1974 tour....?

24. I've never heard that New Year's Eve gig. But granted, forgot about the Isle Of Wight, they're great on that.
    Planet Waves a missed opportunity though, in my book.

25. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks to that post by matt79rome89 with the links to the released songs so far. Yea! Heavy and a Bottle of Bread mix and fidelity sounds good to my ears. I like that whispery sounding organ in the background. In Lo and Behold! I like that bass guitar sound/playing and the sound of the 'roller rink circus' organ - "Now I came in on a Ferris wheel and boys I sure was slick, I moved in like a tornado and also laid a few tricks on 'em" :). Don't Ya Tell Henry sounds like the afterhours basement circus is breaking down! Good fun! Like the vocals. As previously alluded to, imo, and posted by hr, I think the bass and drums is 'pure' JWH album blueprint as in their take on 900 Miles From Home and the vocal melody to the title track seems to me almost there. Love the bass guitar and electric guitar on Dress It Up - drums too! Dylan sounds to me like he's more in his Blonde voice. In Ain't No More Cane it sounds to me like maybe he returns to his blues/folk singing roots. Love the sound of the electric guitar in Odds and Ends and that propulsive bass beneath it. I think that for me Tupelo will be one of those deep album cuts sequenced between some of the more verse/chorus songs. "I was there...but I didn't wanna be there..." Anyway, this 138 song release is to my ears off to a fun and impressive beginning.

Williamson and HominyRhodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.