Services to transfer SACD to hi-res flac

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jlc76, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

With regard to backing up DRM protected discs does that make programs like DVD Audio Extractor illegal? It's not a freeware program either, it's commercial.

2. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

More than I paid for the PS3. I paid $150 for a first Gen PS3 with older firmware. The hack costs nothing (do need a usb thumbdrive). Ripping the SACD to ISO is automatic. Then using free software such as Foobar, the ISO can be converted to individual FLAC files at 24/88.2 if you wish. The hard part is finding a SACD capable PS3 that hasn't had the firmware upgraded past 3.55 and isn't suffering from YLOD.

A_L

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

There you go. I grabbed one about a year ago and it's good to know the older PS3 are still out there - you're going to have some fun.

4. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I believe that actually occurred a few years back, at least in the US (there was a court ruling at the time that made DVD-ripping software illegal under the DMCA). However, that doesn't mean that a software maker overseas couldn't make a ripping program of course. Not sure if that's the case with DVD Audio Extractor or not.

It's also possible that the MPAA just doesn't bother with targeting DVD ripping tools anymore, as it's basically a lost cause. They may have their resources set more towards high-res releases now.

5. So what are folks using to extract SACDs these days?

6. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Not much has changed since the PS3 ripping method was born

8. Thanks, yet another thing to watch for on ebay.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've never done this, but I read a more up to date PS3 SACD ripping faq recently that linked to "hacked" firmware files one could use to make any PS3 capable of reading SACDs capable of doing the ripping, making the search for a suitable PS3 a bit easier.

Something I have done myself is listen to a DSD rip converted to PCM. Audirvana handled the playback/conversion on the fly, my DAC showed 176.4/32, and it sounded awesome.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

You can always exploit the "analog hole". Playback analog from a good multichannel SACD deck, record at 24/192 PCM using a good A/D converter. I wouldn't be surprised if in a level-matched A/B comparison you couldn't reliably tell the difference...

c-eling and SteelyNJ like this.
  11. Right, am in no hurry to go the PS3 route. Analog hole is a fine option for me. Thanks.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Or ask a local audiophile club if anyone has the necessary PS3 for ripping. Members of some clubs have gotten together to buy a PS3 and learn how to rip.

14. Great idea. Thanks.

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I wonder what costs more, a good A/D convertor capable of 192/24 or a PS3? I guess with the PS3/DSD extraction route one has to factor in the cost of a DSD DAC as well.

16. Ham Sandwich

Foobar and JRiver Media Center can play DSD files and convert them on the fly to PCM and play them on a PCM DAC. They can convert DSD files to PCM FLAC files also. Other software can also do the same. You don't absolutely need a DSD capable DAC to be able to play DSD files.

17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Right, as I mentioned a few posts ago I do this as well, but I'd still be curious to hear them on a DSD DAC.

18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I picked up a used Shiitt Loki for $75 for this purpose...

19. Ham Sandwich

That was you. :D
    I claim short term memory loss.

I'm also curious to try some DSD DACs. DACs are getting interesting again. Not sure though if it's necessarily all for the better. I'd still rather have a good PCM DAC than a mediocre DSD capable DAC. I don't think I'd be missing out if I had a really good PCM only DAC and had to convert DSD to PCM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.