Outer sleeves for gatefold LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mycroft, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

That first link to juno/uk has 10" inners.. no outers though.

2. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm about to buy a large supply of PVC outer sleeves.

I'm undecided on Clear or Orange Peel finish.

I'm leaning toward the latter because I think I may have read that the clear ones are more prone to sticking to each other on a shelf, and also show fingermarks/scratches/reflections a bit too much.

I know it's a relatively trivial matter but does anyone have any views?

4. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Orange Peel look and feel better to me. My dad used to get the harder clear ones which did indeed have a habit of sticking and getting scratched, some of them became quite brittle over the years too.

For those that are using Juno, if what you're looking for isn't showing up it usually means it's only temporarily out of stock.

5. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks. I think that is what I will go with.
    I was planning to buy from Sounds Wholesale. They sell lorry loads of these things on ebay and I've bought inners off them before.

6. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I received 100 of these orange peel gatefold sleeves from Sounds Wholesale. That's more than a lifetime's supply for me.

I have to say I am regretting it :(

The PVC is thin - much thinner than the old ones I have from decades ago.

But the worst thing is that on the spine, there is a "ridged" effect running all the way down it. This completely obscures all the writing on the spine so I can't tell what I'm looking at when they are on the shelf! A bit daft, really. If anything , the spine should be clear, with no orange peel effect.

7. Would you be able to post a picture or 2? Many here including myself are looking for gatefold and double album solutions.

8. mycroft

9. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks. They will work out very expensive, especially when shipping is added.

Are they clear or orange peel?

10. mycroft

11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if these 2 images show the effect. In one image, the middle one is in the Sounds Wholesale cover with the ridged spine, in the other, it's a different sleeve from years ago (thicker, with slight orange peel) - I think you can tell which is which!

Sounds Wholesale have told me, in their words: "The clear and o/p are both made the same and we are the only people in europe that have the machines to make gatefold record sleeves."

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Just by way of follow up.

I got some samples (gatefold) from Covers 33 and Diverse Vinyl. Samples from both of these retailers were identical to each other, so it looks like they source them from the same supplier.

Pleasingly, neither of these have the stupid ridges running down the spine but in every other respect, are exactly the same as the Sounds Wholesale sample, with a slight orange peel effect.

Only problem is they are crazy expensive. At least £48 just for 40. I simply can't get my head around how expensive these things are. They look, and feel, as though they should cost about 10 or 20p each.

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

14. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I have seen that but very few people in the world report these problems!

I've had some LPs in PVC sleeves for nearly 40 years and they are absolutely fine.

How did you get rid of them? I hope you didn't just dump them!

15. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I'm taking no chances. I'm going to sell the 100 unused 7" PVC sleeves on eBay and the others will be sold on eBay as collection only because they're too heavy to post.

16. Yeah that thread was a real eye-opener. I removed all my PVC sleeves as well, but only a couple showed any sign of deterioration(surface starting to look wavy)

Someone needs to get a double gatefold non-pvc sleeve into production.

Tinian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.