In Praise of George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" Sound Quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saturnsf, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Everybody wants his moment in the sun on the boards...to bask in the reflected glory of The Beatles is a lure hard to resist.

Reflected glory...REFLECTED GLORY!

;)

ricks likes this.
  2. Linolad

Linolad Forum Resident

No problem Mikaal, I think that "My Sweet Lord 2000" is considered a remix as they used a number of elements from the original mix, but the rest is definitely a remaster as you have said.

Cheers

Mark

3. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

I am playing disc 1 of ATMP 2014 remaster. It is remastered well but sonically it's no marvel. It's an album I have not played much (I had the 2001 disc which I will give to a friend) but the tracks are growing on me .

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the comments. I never bought the 2001 remaster since I've never read a good thing about it, but I am curious how the 2014 remaster compares to the early Japanese and U.S. CD sets.

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

+1
    How about a final call on this one folks!....thumbs up or down?

6. Tom Caswell

Tom Caswell Member

Great album, great production. And love those Apple Jams. Faultless in every way.

What made the album so good was having Derek and the Dominos (Clapton, Whitlock, Radle & Gordon) as the main backing band on most of the songs.

sunking101 and rockclassics like this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

All Things Must Pass takes you to church and sounds like it.

skisdlimit, pdenny and gramfan like this.
  8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

So for those of you who have listened to the 2014 remaster...how does this compare to previous releases on cd? Did they get it right or wrong? Is it worth purchasing? I have wanted to purchase this but I have been holding out for a hi-rez release. I missed out on the downloadable 96/24 version. So, is this the definitive "go to" on cd?

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The Apple Box thread has tons of posts about this. The impression I get is: if you have the 2010 hires the CD is not going to be a huge difference (but does have the bonus tracks). But if you don't, it is better than just about all CDs (with the possible exception of the relatively hard to find early Japan pressing).

Since I have the hires, reading this has kept me from running out and getting the new CD. I do intend to get the box eventually anyway.

badsneakers likes this.
  10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Because of the way Amazon mixes up the artwork and the reviews for different editions of the same album, I can't figure out how the new, 2014 version of "All Things Must Pass" is packaged. Is it a digipack with he original artwork? A little 5"x5" box like the 2001 version with the colorized artwork? Jewel case?

11. botley

botley Forum Resident

Double gatefold paper sleeve, like the 2009 Beatles' Past Masters & White album remasters, with the original black and white front cover artwork and photos/liner notes from the 2001 reissue reproduced inside. Paul's SDE blog has pictures from the box set here.

12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Ah, thanks. Some nice photos on that site. Since this version appears to offer the best sound (on CD, anyway), as well as the best packaging (I really don't care for the colorized artwork on the 2001 reissue), I'll probably pick this up.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Kind of ironic that Harrison picked Spector to produce this album when that same year he made a comment on The Merv Griffin Show about Capitol records ruining the Beatles US releases with all that compression

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Merv Griffin? Are you sure?

I know that George was on the Dick Cavett Show in the USA. Maybe he was on a David Frost Show in the UK. But I can't recall George on the Merv Griffin Show.

Arnie

15. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Not positive, it might've been Dick Cavett, but I remember him saying it.

16. botley

botley Forum Resident

Spector didn't "ruin" ATMP with compression; he remixed it, with Harrison's approval. What Capitol did was create their Beatles masters by slathering compression (and reverb) on existing mixes that the Beatles had already approved without it, so they'd sound similar to what was then popular in the American recording marketplace.

Spector also bounced many of George's original ATMP rhythm tracks down to second-generation in order to leave space for more overdubs, the same as he did on Let It Be. Some of these (like the trumpet fanfare on "What Is Life", which you can hear in the bonus alternate instrumental mix) George vetoed from the album, so he clearly had a hand in the process too.

It's definitely a unique sound. I would like to hear SOME songs remixed, but then others are great just the way they are. On the whole I don't think the record is an audiophile wonder, but it's certainly charming and I enjoy listening to it.

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Having owned the UK Nimbus & the JapaneseCP28 the 2014 is my go to listen now for CD ( I have an early US vinyl also) I have not heard the 2010 Hi Rez. Just my 2cents.

18. botley

botley Forum Resident

The hi-res definitely deserves to be re-released on Blu-ray; I imagine Spector himself is about the only thing left standing in the way of Ken Scott doing a new 5.1 mix from all first-generation elements to accompany it!

19. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

I still have my old Japanese CP28-5459/60 set in a fatboy. The best post-Beatles album by a country mile. Love the album, love the sound.

20. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's actually been some useful comments here! Thanks all. I'll still stick with my original CD but I appreciate the civil discussion.

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its not the sound quality thats praiseworthy, rather, its the general sound of the album that works.

22. 905

905 Senior Member

I finally got it last night.
    I don't have audiophile equipment, but it certainly sounds better than the 2001.

23. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Is there a reason the hi-Rez download is no longer available?? Sounds like the definitive version.

905 likes this.
  24. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I don't have the 2014 version (yet) but i also have this Japanese cd version, is this a keeper? Is there a 'best' cd version or are there merits to different ones?

25. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Dhani tripped over the cord and unplugged the computer by accident.

He's too busy to plug it back in right now.

sunking101 and marklamb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.