Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Mine are at the local post office. Will arrive tomorrow.

2. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

What we sleuths will do, we'll take that photo of the master tape, in this case Art Blakey Sextet, note the session dates, and we'll run it down thus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GreatTone likes this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

I played the two Elvin Jones titles tonight (Genesis and Puttin' It Together). Those are really pretty good. I'm glad I bought them, and I got them for a good price. Now I have to go back and give them a more focused listen at higher volume. :)

TimArruda, MikeJedi and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. Supafly

Supafly Forum Resident

Any idea when they are going to announce the new titles?

5. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Lori told me "New batch out in January to my knowledge - Maiden Voyage is one of them"

mikeyt likes this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I'm in the middle of listening to Cool Struttin 33 right now and WOW!!! I am not sure how often I will be playing my 45 edition , let's just say that , it's so good , like I feel I am right there with these guys , the drum kit is there , piano etc !!!!! These 33s ROCK !!!!!!

7. John D.

John D. Senior Member

So, the 45rpm is that bad compared to the new 33rpm, or it just sounds better because you don't have flip as many records? Can you give us some details why you prefer the 33rpm?

RelayerNJ likes this.
  8. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

That first cut on Genesis has some awesome bass, and needs to be cranked.

9. Josquin des Prez

I noticed.
    My system really doesn't need to be cranked much to appreciate it. The bass response is really very clean. :)

With the latest 33 RPMs showing up today, that makes 8 new MM albums I have to play this weekend.

TimArruda likes this.
  10. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Sounds like a great weekend! I hope my new ones arrive today.

11. Josquin des Prez

My wife is off work Sunday, so I think we will have a date night in the listening room. We haven't done that in a while.

Weather looks to be great, so I plan a lot of cycling this weekend too, starting early this afternoon. I even have some new bling for the bike.

WadeB, antielectrons and GreatTone like this.
  12. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

Just got Kenny Drew-Undercurrent yesterday. It is the best sounding MM title I have so far. Hubbard is his usual dynamic self and Mobley seems more assertive here than even on some of his own albums. For those who are critical of Van Gelder's recording of piano in general, I would say this one is better than most I've heard from BN over the years. Still not quite as prominent as it needs to be, especially given that Drew is the leader of this session, but I had no problem hearing and enjoying Drew's contributions to the music.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Van Gelder had the reverb set to 11 on Genesis :D

14. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

I can get my wife to go on cycling dates with me no problem, but sitting and listening to jazz . . . not so much.

GreatTone likes this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Mine does both. She loves the jazz and classical I like to play.

When we first met, jazz to her was smooth jazz and that ilk. She was a quick learner after that.

WadeB likes this.
  16. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

My wife doesn't have that same appreciation, but we used to go to a lot of concerts together including Nicholas Payton in New Orleans and Joshua Redmond in Detroit. And she walked in while I was watching a Dexter Gordon doc and said she enjoyed watching it way better than just sitting and listening, so it may be just a sitting and listening thing. I should probably try some jazz vocals as a gateway for her.

17. Josquin des Prez

Check out some of the AP Verve 45s of Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. There is some great stuff there.

18. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

Will do. I love both of them, but Sarah Vaughn is my favorite. Any vinyl suggestions for her?

19. Josquin des Prez

I don't actually have much of her stuff, although I like her music, so I am without recommendations.

Speaking of jazz vocalists, I sure would love to see Music Matters resissue Sheila Jordan's 1962 Blue Note "Portrait of Sheila". I have some of her later stuff with Steve Kuhn on ECM and it's great.

[​IMG]

20. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Guys, I could do with some help here. When I have jazz on and she's in the room I get the "it'll be okay when the y learn to play properly" remark:) though she does like some classical. She doesn't do sitting and listening at all.
    I just envy you Jos. Is you're wife perfect in every way? Most of us have to compromise:)

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I'm a huge BH fan but always thought that those APs are overly expensive for what you get. I have the four mid fifties albums on CD. Is it worth the rather large outlay for rather short albums?

23. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

24. Josquin des Prez

25. Josquin des Prez

My wife is a keeper. We got married 7 months after meeting. She has put up with me for 20 years now. :righton:

What's more, she loves Formula 1 and other forms of circuit racing (LeMans, DTM, BTCC, WRC, etc). We have been to about 2 dozen F1, ALMS, ChampCar, World Challenge and Rally races together.

Thin Man, mikeyt and WadeB like this.