Avengers 2: The Age of Ultron (April 2015)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why James Spader?

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I'm down, as long as Hulk smashes!

norman_frappe likes this.
  3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Possibly the one cinema ticket I'll buy next year.

The next this year might be to see the UK re-release of 2001!

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The bubble hasn't burst on "found footage" movies. They are a perfect example of oversaturation. For some reason they still draw audiences. I had my fill with Blair Witch. No desire to watch any more of those.

Really looking forward to this one.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

A superb example of how to do a trailer right!

I loved the first one, so this has me champing at the bit - May is a long way off!

Simon A likes this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'll go see it twice - once for me, and once for you. Just sit home and relax. :p

ampmods likes this.
  7. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i liked the first one a lot so i will definitely give this one a look. as for over-saturation.... yeah maybe in relation to other genres but for the individual it's what, 3 or 4 of these movies in a year. hardly seems like over-saturation.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Box office prediction $1.9 B based on a 25% bump up from the first one.

9. *cough* Dawn of Justice *cough*

...Now here's a film I'm willing to bet future generations are going to look back on as THE exact point when not only did the superhero market reach oversaturation, but force writers in the genre as a whole to reconsider their current obsession with ensemble crossovers - DC and WB have announced so many characters they intend to squeeze in that I have to question just how much screen time some of the lesser figures are even going to receive, unless the plan is for one lengthy epic! Based on previous examples, I reckon a lot of the most potentially interesting storylines are simply going to be reduced into mere footnotes, teasing fans until their favourites inevitably get more fleshed out standalone features.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I initially didn't click on the thread, however, later I was somewhat bored and since Vidiot started it, I thought there might be something of interest, like some industry insider stuff, so I clicked. Energy expenditure - negligable.

Really? I wasn't aware there was a bubble for those kinds of shows/movies. The only one I remember hearing about is The Blair Witch thing, which I never wanted to see. I guess my shields are in working order.

There's really no need to subject yourself to such drastic actions on my behalf, but have fun anyway. :)

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The plot reminds of Terminator and Transcendence.
    Where Computer thinks it can make Humanity better by Terminating it.
    That story has been used for years.
    I think Vidiot, is corporate Disney spy on the payola.
    Joss Wheadon owes us a Angel Movie.
    Shield is pure crap.

12. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

I for one, don't understand why they even make movies without superheroes in them. Who wants to watch a movie without a superhero in it?

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Talking about the 'dark' tone of the trailer I'm sure if you selectively picked parts from the first Avengers movie you could make just as dark a trailer.

14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The theme has been around as long as machines have been around.

But in Marvel terms... Ultron has been around since 1968.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Wake me up for 'Avengers vs Justice League'

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That is true, and I really hope it's a case of it just being a bad trailer. The first film struck the perfect tone for this type of movie, and I think it would be a big mistake to go all bleak and TDK for this next one. Tone aside, it's a poorly-done trailer. One gets no sense at all of the plot or the characters. If a person had never seen the first film, they'd come away from that trailer confused and/or uninterested.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The trailer is fine. It creates a sense of mood without giving away too many plot details which is the real nadir of trailers these days.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I just watched the trailer and I don't remember Ultron from the comic books (my brief obsession with that realm lasted for only a couple of years in the mid-70s), but the whole Ultron thing does seem a bit well-traveled. The first thing I thought was, "Didn't I see this kinda thing in the first Iron Man and Thor movies?" But I have faith that Whedon will pull a good movie out of it.

19. dkmonroe

I somewhat agree. Many of the images in the trailer are just, "WTF?" And I didn't really feel I understood what "Ultron" was after having seen it - I couldn't tell if he was just another evil Iron Man guy or a robot. The whole point of the trailer seems to be, "Here's the new Avengers villain - they just keep getting bigger, don't they?" :laugh:

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I read the comic books years ago dealing with Ultron.
    I still prefer comics .
    Amazon has a cd rom version of Avengers comic book
    it's starts at the begging ends in lates 90's.
    You might want to check that out.
    Before the movie.

21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It gives away NO plot details, as far as I can see, beyond "The Avengers will be fighting some sort of evil robot, and there will be lots of explosions." I suppose they feel they can coast on audience familiarity with the characters and make a trailer that's just a random series of action clips from the film, but to me that makes for a dull trailer. There's an art to making a good trailer that gives some sense of what the story is about without giving away too much detail, and this trailer fails at that. I suppose it doesn't help that it's also so bleak, lifeless, and humorless. I sure hope that's not the tone of the actual film.

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

People are running, stuff blow up, big robot - yeah, it's a Marvel movie! :laugh:

Deesky likes this.
  23. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Dark is good, dark Whedon is better. Looking forward to it.

Hopefully its name won't be changed in the UK like the first film's was...I think people get by now that these aren't films about the 1960s spy show.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Already at 40 million + views, I'm loving the darker tone and it looks like Iron Man is on the out(s) with the rest of the Avengers.

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

You guys realize this is a TEASER trailer, and understand what that means, right?

A full theatrical trailer giving a more thorough (probably too thorough) overview of the plot will come out closer to the release date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.