Beatles mono VINYL box set (Part #15)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

And now, having said that, I've gone on a just-for-heck-of-it listening binge with certain titles from my 2012 Stereo box (EU pressings of course). If you see from one of my previous replies, I got through Beatles For Sale, and it sounds better than it has to my ears in awhile. Now, I'm on the stereo 2012 "Rubber Soul" (one of those which, I'm sorry to say, is going to be replaced with a new copy for the Mono box).

2. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

So what conclusion are you drawing from this?

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting. I'm not one of those with perfect pitch, so I listen with my ears and read the timing on my player. My needledrop of When I'm Sixty-Four from a near mint, Parlophone first-pressing of "Pepper" runs 2:36. Playback from a 1982 Red Wax Japanese mono runs 2:39. The mono CD from 2009, 2:40. Ron

4. brainwashed

Conclusions? Nada. Just saying that Jason Sirinus may be correct in saying the original pressing of "Pepper" uses a sped-up mix of When I'm Sixty-Four. My copy does sound a wee bit faster. Not sure how 3.5 seconds difference equates to semitones. Ron

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's entirely possibly he confused it with "She's Leaving Home".

"The stereo version of the song runs at a slower speed than the mono mix, and consequently is a semitone lower in pitch. This is mentioned in the booklet accompanying The Beatles in Mono CD box set, but no reason is given. A 2007 Mojo magazine article revealed the mono mix was sped up to make Paul sound younger and tighten the track.[8]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She's_Leaving_Home

6. vadthebad

vadthebad Well-Known Member

How did you setup your anti-skate? Did you get this number of "3" by calculations?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. brainwashed

That is a possibility. However, I just compared four mono sources: Original, first-pressing UK Parlophone, 1982 Japanese Red Wax, 2009 Mono Masters CD... and just a moment ago, the 2014 mono vinyl. The later three all run approximately 2:39 give or take a few tenths. The original Parlophone runs 3.1 seconds faster... at 2:36. Perhaps he's right. I doubt I had turntable issues when I 'dropped the album. And if that was so, how is that the new vinyl version runs the same as the other sources? Ron

8. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic

There's no doubt that the recording was sped up. I've verified that the version on the 2009 mono CD is indeed in D flat. That's a semitone up from C which is a much more natural key for Paul to compose in. What you're suggesting, however, is that the original Parlophone mono vinyl is even faster than the 2009 mono CD, meaning that it would be even higher in pitch. Plus you're only comparing mono pressings; the original assertion was that the stereo version is slower than the 2014 mono vinyl. So now we're talking about the song being released in 3 different pitches/keys.

Can you just try this? Verify that your turntable is spinning at the right speed, then start the song from your original mono pressing and the version from the 2009 mono CD at the same time and see if there's a difference in pitch. Unlike he said/she said anecdotes about what went on in the studio, this one is easliy scientifically provable by anyone with ears.

9. vadthebad

I would say your Original was mastered at a higher speed than normal. Do not worry about it. That had happened, some mono Beatles albums were mastered like that in 60s.

10. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I will say that "Rain" specifically, and Mono Masters in general, will test the limits of your turntable setup. If anything is subpar, it will be unable to perfectly track some of these cuts. They are cut fairly hot and are pretty dynamic. You aren't the only one to say they had some distortion on Rain.

Vinyl Dude and vadthebad like this.
  11. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Indeed, though I haven't played "Rain" yet. I had some on "I Feel Fine." No other serious problems in the set so far, and I'm reasonably sure that one is because my setup is very amateurish and super cheap. [Edit: Not that I'm saying others' soundsystems are bad, just that I know mine isn't the best!]

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  12. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Something interesting is that I would say my setup is high-end-ish, and I had some extra distortion on I Feel Fine the first time I played it. After that, only the distortion that's on the recording in spots. It was kind of painful the first time. I can't explain that, but I'm not complaining.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  13. vadthebad

I would suggest everyone who has groove distortion problems to try and test the turntable with an Analogue Test LP before playing any record. Did you?

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  14. Vinyl Dude

No calculations, really...I just went instinctively by what would be the most stable anti-skate setting, so that's why I maxed it out. But in any event, the lower setting seems to be doing wonders. And now, I can only wonder just HOW MANY other records in my collection may have been damaged in light of the fact that I had the Anti-skate set TOO HIGH for so many years (after you pointed out just how wrong it was)...That's hundreds of dollars of albums I would have to replace, and that includes but is not limited to any other high-dollar 180-gram imports and reissues.
    No, but I do have an old Realistic Stereo Test record from the early 60's (in near-mint condition) that I use to occasionally test my setup with. In fact, I think some of the frequency sweeps on these test records are said to ultrasonically clean your cartridge, and that's the belief I've been operating on with my test record, anyway.

15. vadthebad

In my case, I got some of these problems a half year ago, when I was setting up a new bought cartridge on a new turntable. I was surprised about how the Analogue Test LP dramatically had solved all the problems with distortions. If you pass all the tracks successfully (especially 4 tracks of bias setup) you will get a perfect ability to play any record with no distortions. Before starting the test, do not forget to level your turntable properly and set up your tonearm-cartridge system (overhang, 3 angles & level setup) with a proper value of the tracking force (1.5 to 1.9 g) depending on your stylus type.

bluemooze likes this.
  16. Vinyl Dude

Oh, there's lots of tape distortion to be heard all over some of the new Mono reissues. But I would attribute that to the age of the tapes more than anything. And that isn't so much a bother to me as IGD is. Either way, I guess since I'm not the only to experience IGD issues in the same spot on 'Mono Masters', it's probably not likely to do any good for me to exchange it for a 3rd copy, as I would be liable to have to deal with the same thing again. All the same, that's more incentive for me to upgrade to that ever-so-fabled AT-120E in the future. But for now, with the Omega set at a 2.2 tracking force and the anti-skate precisely where it needs to be, I'm satisfied for now.

vadthebad likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There's a thread dedicated to the issues that some have found with the Mono Masters vinyl. Frankly, the fact that this LP was causing me difficulties did me a huge favor.

With so many NOT having any issues with this LP, I never assumed that the vinyl was at fault, but rather that my rig just simply wouldn't be able to track it well. Then, with nothing to lose, I decided to go back and redo my set-up. Voila...problem solved!

I needed to adjust my alignment slightly and decided to add some weight to my tonearm (not VTF) to get better integration with my cart. And the handful or so of other LPs that had tracking issues were now tracking fine (or much, much better).

bluemooze and vadthebad like this.
  18. vadthebad

every cloud has a silver lining :)

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm cranking up Rain right now. I don't have the best turntable but with the help of people like Ben Adams on this site, who led me to the right protractor to align my cartridge, I'm able to enjoy Mono Masters and the rest of this set.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Izak

Izak Forum Resident

Holy crap, I played PPM through BFS last night, in order, on my 1975 SL1500 through my new(ish) Onkyo home theater receiver, played on direct mode. Sadly I don't have the Y cables yet, I'm waiting for someone on the forum to finish making more mono/stereo switch boxes so I can invest in one.

But, to the point, goodness gracious I don't think I've ever heard these albums before! I mean, I've got a number of mono Beatles LP's, though none are even remotely close to mint, cost me good money to get the ones I've got though. There's so much on these new albums that I've never heard before, and that bass! Oh my god that bass! I never heard Paul like that before, and even without properly summing the channels it's like they're in the room with me, singing and playing just for me, it was surreal. I nearly called off work today to continue my listening, but need the money to pay this thing off, lol. I must admit that I'm usually not the emotional type, but I caught myself nearly weeping at the sound of "Twist and Shout" as PPM closed. I could hear the strain in John's voice like never before, it was astounding, truly. I can't gush enough about these, they're the greatest I've ever heard them before, a revelation really, at least to me! I've never been more pleased with a Beatles purchase, I'm so glad these came out. I've only made it through BFS, so knock on wood that I don't have any problems with warpage or wrong labels. Thus far though all four discs were dead flat, centered, lovely labels, and silent as could be! I actually thought I forgot to turn the amp to "PHONO" until the "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!" nearly knocked me down! Well, this got much longer than I intended, thanks for reading if you did!

Final thoughts on the box set: firstly, if you haven't bought it yet and you've got 250 bucks that you can play with BUY THIS RIGHT NOW, YOU'VE NEVER NEEDED A BEATLES RELEASE LIKE YOU NEED THIS! Secondly, the book is lovely, great pictures that I've never seen before, and great writing, though it was a bit dry and I'd read most of that in other books already, my only complaint with the book is the relative lack of information on the mastering and cutting process, that page and a half at the end just isn't enough to satisfy me, at least.

To all that have had problems with anything in this set, I'm sorry and I really hope that your issues get resolved properly and quickly, you need these in all their mono glory!

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

21. on7green

on7green Senior Patron

The release of these records is the musical event of 2014. I never really expected this.

22. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I don't know why I had some distortion the first time I played side 1 of Mono Masters. My turntable is set up about as perfect as can be, and I never have issues on anything else. And then playing it again, it was fine. And I felt fine. Maybe there was some crud in the grooves the first time, or something on my stylus I didn't see. All is well now though.

bluemooze likes this.
  23. Izak

Izak Forum Resident

I don't know if I've ever wanted work to be over more than I do today, lol. Come on clock, hit seven, I've got more Beatles to listen to!

vadthebad likes this.
  24. vadthebad

It very well could be. I had some issues with AHDN of stereo set 2012 which had some light creaking on side two in the tracks only (not in between them). But after I played it a number of times (in a month maybe) they all had gone. I have no idea what it was, but I assume my shibata stylus had kinda polished that "dirt" out until it`s gone. And now it sounds clean and nice!

GreatTone likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Do neither of you clean your records?

Huck Caton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.