Rolling Stones: From The Vault LA Forum 1975

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Could have told ya many months ago. Yes, the sound sucks.

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I just can't understand the Brickwalling. There is NO WAY this is going to get airplay on the radio so what the heck is the point??? Even at $15 on Amazon.US it is no bargain if I'm never going to be able to enjoy playing the cd.
    Jagger HAS to know the fans reaction on the 2009 catalog mastering-he can't be that stupid...........Or the powers that be in the Stones organization really don't give a rats-funny thing though is us aging baby boomers, the very ones who spend the bucks on good equipment, are the ones that are getting the short end of the stick.
    So, after cancelling all my pre orders, I pre ordered via 'ImportCd's' the vinyl version of Hampton and LA Forum-I'll be missing the 5 songs their NOT putting on the vinyl version of 'LA Forum', but I'll just make a 'LaserDrop' off the DVD's audio and be done with it.
    Can't get No............
    the beave
    sorry for shouting on the previous post........real drag this is though.

One more thing, the LP versions on ImportCd's site are the cheapest I could find....$31 each!
    Shipped within the US.....exactly $35 each. Excellent price for the 3LP vinyl/DVD set.
    Here's my penance:
    LA:
    http://www.importcds.com/music/4026578/rolling-stones-from-the-vault-la-forum-live-in-1975

Hampton 81:
    http://www.importcds.com/music/3985205/rolling-stones-from-the-vault3lp-d
    can I be forgiven now????

3. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Bless you my son; you are now forgiven.

I played the vinyl when I first got the SSS set and couldn't believe how badly Charlie's drums sounded. Then I played the cds and just cringed throughout. But, what do you want for such a big spectacle of a show? So now I just play the BR and be done with it. Love that amusement park ride in the distance!

Clanceman likes this.
  4. The Beave

Ah, I feel better, thank you very kindly.
    The one thing about the vinyl though is it seems to be pressed very nicely.
    Clean, not that much surface noise at all. It's not 180 gram, at least mine isn't, but who cares, the pressing is still
    years better sounding than the CD's.
    Now with Charlies drums.......I still think that Glyn Johns and Jimmy Miller knew HOW to record Charlies drums.
    They had it nailed and after their stint with the Stones his drums never sounded like that again.
    Ah, the memories............
    the beave
    it's friday
    let's rock out!

5. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

We all know with the Stones, its never about great recording "quality" in studio or live from an audio point of view. The live show is never about perfection. We love the Stones because of this and they are like a garage band that went huge.

Pour a bourbon, put it on, settle in. 10 minutes later you forgot all about "quality" :)

mestreech and footlooseman like this.
  6. The Beave

'Garage Band that got Huge'.
    Very Well Put!! In fact that's a Perfect way of categorizing them in terms of the sound quality of their records.
    BTW, I was listening to some early Beatles LP's last week and it struck me how Bass Shy their early records are when compared to the Stones, who's early records had very good sounding Bass on them.
    the beave

pool_of_tears likes this.
  7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Have a little cocaine on a dentist chair.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

:tsk:

I'm gonna get high
    Gonna get high just as sure as you know my name.
    Y'know I'm gonna get so high this morning
    It's going to be a cryin' shame.
    Well you know I'm gonna stick with my reefer
    Ain't gonna be messin' round with no cocaine

footlooseman likes this.
  9. The Beave

Muddy Waters aka McKinley Morganfield
    R. I. P.

the beave

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Amen.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Beave's rant about the Sweet Summer Sun set in the middle of this thread is a bit confusing.

12. The Beave

It's the way my A.D.D works dr. bryant.
    I've had the Vinyl version of SSS for months but just cracked it open last weekend.
    I dug it so much that I ordered the CD/DVD version last week.
    When I got it and popped in the CD and heard and saw the brickwalled sound (My current cd transport is a Tascam Pro cd recorder so it has level meters on it) my heart sunk and I got upset that I just basically threw away $24. Hence posting in this thread as I can almost guarantee that the upcoming CD's for both Hampton And LA Forum will also be brickwalled Since Jagger is still using the bum that ruined the 2009 catalog with brick walling every tongue title.
    Remember though that I found the Vinyl Versions of both titles for only $31 from ImportCd's and provided a link.
    the beave

footlooseman likes this.
  13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Again, you're forgiven.

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Beave, I'm assuming you just wanted CDs for on the go? I admit that I purchased the iTunes limited early release, but when the packages were released, I went with the lps only, since they came with the DVD.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I've found the blu-ray for Hampton on Amazon, but is the LA Forum one DVD-only? That doesn't really make sense...even the SD blu-rays look much better to me, simply because the player doesn't need to try to up-convert or anything. (plus, higher-res audio, which is the important thing)

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Anyone know where I can order these both together (LA & Hampton) Vinyl + DVD?

cc-- likes this.
  17. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.

18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I'll bet it has more to do with the quality of the source material than anything else.

19. The Beave

George Blair likes this.
  20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Hampton one is well-labeled on the cover as a standard-def DVD. I just don't buy enough blu-rays or DVD's anymore to justify buying a better player than my PS3, whose DVD upscaling is...unimpressive. The SD-blu-rays I have look as good as the source material will ever allow (The Freddie Mercury tribute and Queen @ the Rainbow) though, so I'm hoping that will be the format for any of these Stones archive releases, whatever the source is.

21. George Blair

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The dvd is looking spectacular, despite some glaring lighting. A pleasure to hear the ancient art of weaving. Sh@t hot versions of All Down the Line and Starfu*ker. Laughing at the Jag's heavy blue eye shadow. The guitars are mixed up nice and Charlie, as always, doesn't disappoint. Hope they do this in BR for a comparison but, man, I'm enjoying the balls outta this!

rstamberg, Clanceman, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Nice man! Yours is delivered already?

24. George Blair

Doesn't this come out in mid November?

OldSoul likes this.
  25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Not if you ordered from Japan, apparently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.