Britney Spears "…Baby One More Time" - help identifying or locating a 1st pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrRom92, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

I'm seeking out an original issue of this classic 90's pop album. It doesn't seem to be documented extremely well on the web but there are a few mentions that a different master did exist, and there are even sound clips of the cd rip uploaded on YouTube - so it is out there.

Supposedly the initial US copies of the album included a spoken message by Britney thanking the listener for purchasing her first album, and also a preview of the upcoming album "Millennium" by her label mates, the Backstreet Boys.

The additional audio is tacked onto the last track, "The Beat Goes On" causing it to run for 5:52 as opposed to the 3:43 printed in the booklet. All other copies of the album have that track run for 3:43 as printed.

Discogs turned up nothing I could find. How can I identify one of the discs with this content?

Marble Index and jfeldt like this.
  2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I couldn't find any details online, but someone did post the audio on YouTube. Maybe you could post a message to that video or send the poster a message asking him to describe the cd from which he ripped that audio.

3. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

The only difference is just the spoken message at the end?

4. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Is this thread for real?

5. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

She attached her name to some catchy pop records. The people who put those records out new what they were doing.

DawnBTVS, 2xUeL and MrRom92 like this.
  6. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I like this thread. Calling Oatsdad on line 1...

hvbias and Peter Pyle like this.
  7. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Spoken message and some clips from the then new Backstreet Boys album.

8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

This.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I like some of Britney's music. I'm not saying she was a major creative force or that she was a particularly good singer, but she recorded some good material that was well produced and her vocal ability suited those songs and production well. And she made some sexy and funny videos.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Probably not, since AFAIK she covered the Rolling Stones, not the Beatles. :D

10. MrRom92

Not a bad idea. None of the accounts seem active but it's worth a shot.

As far as I know, yes although I'd be interested in seeing if there were other differences in the master. There were other changes made between the production of promos/advance copies and the released product.

I apologize, I must have misspelled "The Monkees"

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

12. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

Maybe this video will help everyone.

Zack and MrRom92 like this.
  13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

:laugh: Let's talk about Foghat, the greatest band to ever play the blues before all their ideas were stolen by the black man.

Jack, Sandinista, dustybooks and 3 others like this.
  14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I was completely against you until I read this post. Bravo.

Marble Index, agundy and MrRom92 like this.
  15. MrRom92

I posted a couple of times on the breathe heavy forum but have yet to get any real response. Anyhow I find it shocking that so few people here have a copy of this cd in their collection? It's not like it's uncommon or unpopular

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

17. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

I remember that video like it was yesterday...but it was 16 years ago now! :eek:

MrRom92 likes this.
  18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

19. nbakid2000

Pretty sure I have a physical copy but I've never heard the version you're referring to.

MrRom92 likes this.
  20. MrRom92

I've asked so many ebay sellers that I've actually been temporarily banned from sending messages :sigh: some say it's super common, yet every person I've asked says the last track on theirs ends at 3:43... eh, the search continues.

I originally heard it back in the day on a friends copy but that was, well... back in the day.

Marble Index likes this.
  21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

whelp, he hasn't gotten an answer here. it seems like a pretty legitimate suggestion.

should this forum be judged by its worst thread possible?

BluesOvertookMe, Malina and MrRom92 like this.
  22. nbakid2000

Any idea on *when* exactly the secret reissue happened?

23. MrRom92

One user there just commented with a picture of the cd rip they made, no longer had the disc but it was one of the ones with a pink flower on a blue background, so that at least narrows it down a bit and that was helpful. I'm sure that forum is a good meeting ground for the collectors as well as the obsessives :crazy::whistle:

My best guess - the changeover probably happened around April or May of '99, Millenium came out in May I think, and we all know the boatloads that managed to sell. One of the biggest selling albums of all time, no promotion needed :) the message was probably removed when it was no longer "coming out soon"

Britney reportedly wasn't too happy about the promotion herself and didn't know it was being recorded for inclusion on her own record, that could be a contributing factor.

phish likes this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

If I ever run into it on my thrift searches I'll grab it for ya

MrRom92 likes this.
  25. nbakid2000

There's probably around 2 million copies of that version floating around in the US alone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Baby_One_More_Time_(album)

MrRom92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.