Are major retailers just ignorant or just plain greedy when it comes to bootlegs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by davmar77, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'... Thread Starter

this is more about unreleased live concerts or studio bootlegs as opposed to pirate copies of officially released stuff. spin cd's and amazon have so much of this kind of thing. do you think they check or even care? if a typical consumer can spot it, you'd think they might consider checking unless they just want the cash and worry about it later.
    thoughts?

2. davmar77

no thoughts on this, eh?

3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Maybe it's the "are they stupid or just jerks" attitude of the thread title that's off-putting. You're asking people to defend the indefensible.

Also, if there is so much of this on Amazon, half a dozen links to examples that bother you would be nice. It's hard to have a discussion in a vacuum.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's against Forum Rules.

" Bootlegged or pirated materials and how to acquire them. We do not allow links and/or requests for links to sites that sell, trade, or contain bootlegs or downloads of copyrighted material. This also includes requests for artwork that is copyrighted. "

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

MYKE, I never thought about that. I agree with the board policy not to promote bootlegs, and haven't bought one in decades, but the OP's point was so obviously anti-bootleg sales, I didn't make the connection.

Without knowing specific examples of what he's talking about, it will be hard to discuss, at least for me.

Myke likes this.
  6. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

How about option three. They don't care.

7. davmar77

i'm not condoning the practice. quite the opposite. i find it disturbing that an individual is prosecuted for a single download by the big publishing houses threatening jail time and huge fines while the amazons of the world are selling material that artists are not approving. i won't link any examples just in case my actions are misinterpreted as a way to find this kind of thing. why don't the big powers go after those retailers? you would think they should be looking into that aspect. i don't want to get into specifics but there's a member here who is a well known artist. when i informed him of a listing of a live concert on one of those retail sites he said he would hope that it would be looked into and removed. as of today it's still listed for sale there.

Myke likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I gotcha Dave, I was responding to the other guy's asking for links. Which he has since addressed.

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The truth is probably that Amazon can't really be bothered to invest any effort ($) to monitor all of the junk that may pass through the pipeline through marketplace sellers. In the end they probably just do a cost benefit analysis and come to the conclusion that any liability they may face for willful ignorance of questionable content is cheaper than the hassle of playing hall monitor. They probably just shut down any sales that attract noise from any pesky lawyers that send out cease and desist requests. Pretty safe bet that you won't find a lot of blatant bootlegs from certain artists. The same condition used to exist on ebay years ago. I can name a few artists that would be a concern. I know they certainly made life difficult for the folks that tried to run record shows back in the early 90's. I think they also initiated the demise of at least one major seller of concert tapes back in the 90's in NYC.

10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Are you talking about bootlegs in the "traditional" sense or the European live cd's and lp's that originate in the Netherlands and Italy, that are freely available in stores and online in Europe?

11. davmar77

i'm talking about unauthorized live and studio recordings on sites like amazon and spin cds. even if those site won't check the content since they are making money on it, you'd think the riaa would be looking.

12. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You didn't really answer my question, these albums are not necessarily unauthorized due to the copywrite laws in the countries that they are manufactured.

I believe that Bowie for example tried to take the manufacturers to court for one of these releases and was unsuccessful in getting it withdrawn from sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.