How is it that different radio stations play the same song at the same time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rhett, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident Thread Starter

This afternoon I'm scanning the radio stations in my vehicle - I have 5 different preset stations - they all play classic rock (basically) with some 80's hits and one station plays a couple more modern songs from the late 90's and i believe I've heard some from the 2000's.

So you see what I'm working with here - basically it's all classic rock stations on the 5 presets.

Ok - so roughly at around 1:00 pm I'm scanning through the presets to listen to a song that I've heard a million times already but that I can still stand to listen to (still).

So I land on preset #4 and it's Billy Joel - 'Big Shot' - I'm not into that song so I hit preset #5 (the last preset since I've exhausted my choices of 1 through 5).

Preset #5 is strangely Billy Joel's 'Big Shot' and it's roughly 2 or 3 seconds behind preset #4!

Don't you just hate that?!?

What are the chances of that happening? This is not the first time this has happened to me but why does this happen?

I mean the playlists of these stations are rather shallow of the classic rock genre but how does this happen that they would play a song at almost the exact same time as another competing station? Weird huh?

This thread is not for those chiming in with these remarks so i'll spare you the typing by doing it for you:

"That's why I listen to XM..."

"I play the CD player..."

"I play my mp3 player in the car..."

"I listen to vinyl in my car..."

"I listen to 8 tracks...."

"I still play cassettes...."

"I carry a portable boombox in my front seat..."

So is there someone at the station getting a laugh by copying another station to see if people notice or call in to complain?

drumzNspace likes this.
  2. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

It happens more frequently that you may think, especially with "seasonal" hits, especially summertime.
    An exception had been during the full Saturday Night Fever era (77/78)... you just couldn't escape Stayin' alive or Night fever anytime... these were always somewhere at least in two station.

BTW, two addition to the list:
    "I play my cell phone"
    "I carry a Tuba player on the backseat of my Cadillac" :cool:

old4mat and Rhett like this.
  3. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Many stations pay for pre-programmed playlists. One central location can be feeding multiple stations, especially those with the same format such as "Classic Hits" or "Classic Rock". But usually not in the same market area. One location I know of...let's say San Antonio...programs stations throughout the country.

Aftermath likes this.
  4. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

Nah, it's just the narrow playlists. Years ago when this happened it was a near-cosmic thing. Now, not so rare.
    My car only has an AM/FM and I play a game with the radio where I'll name a 70's mainstream rock artist (Heart, Styx, Fleetwood Mac, Boston, etc) then turn on the radio and scan the presets. I nail it quite a lot, but then three stations here in Portland do have slightly similar formatting.

forthlin likes this.
  5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

This is why I always have a live band in the backseat of my car.

6. Rhett

You do that game too? I do that all the time - I try and guess it by landing on it and calling out the name of the song and pressing the next preset button right away - only hearing a millisecond of the song. It's a fun game to play - well sort of. :sigh:

7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

It's a huge conspiracy supported by the Keebler Elves...

8. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Once in early December I was in Florida and "Feliz Navidad" was on four stations at once.

9. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

There's a decent chance a couple of stations are playing "Hotel California" on my dial right now.

10. Rhett

are they an auspices of Halliburton?

Brother Maynard and MonkeyMan like this.
  11. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Over here we have franchise stations that play the same playlists but with regional presenters all in sync from a common playout
    As you drive the M4 to London the stations change but the music does not
    Sad indeed.

12. Rhett

awesome! That's some serious bonus points there!

13. MonkeyMan

No, the Keebler Elves went rogue in the mid 1980s...

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

And now that you've made this public, they're going to kill you. Tonight.

Royce and MonkeyMan like this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

You forgot "my car is manufactured by Pandora and/or Spotify" :)
    Having said that, the amount of songs radio stations play nowadays, the odds are much higher than they used to be that this could happen.

16. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"Synchronicity"*

my fave, which i've postED on this fabulous forum B4:
    "Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Sprit"
    on
    KSAN "Rock" station
    KITS "Modern Rock" station
    &
    KMEL "Hip Hop"
    at the same time!!!

* not really, cause i imagine songs like "Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U" when they were hot were on multiple stations in one area at the same time as well.

EndOfTheRainbow likes this.
  17. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

I play that one with a variation: I hear the song, recognize it, say "no", and then hit the next preset.:)

18. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Cosmic Coincidence

19. MonkeyMan

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And everything under the sun is in tune
    But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. ;)

Aftermath likes this.
  21. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Yup, and it is even more endemic with hit radio (I have two kids addicted to top 40 radio and Hits 1 on satellite) when songs cross over into light rock, mix and easy listening.

22. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Eagles songs are so omnipresent it's only a matter of time before you hear Tequila Sunrise playing at the same time on another part of the dial.

notesofachord likes this.
  23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Funny how some of these classic rock stations are so predictable in what they play that number of songs in rotation actually seems to get smaller over time, even though it probably doesn't.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This just happened to me last night about 2am as I driving back home to DC. I would guess the 2 stations are at least 100 miles apart. As the song was ending, the first station was fading and I changed to a DC station and that song came on.

For the life of me, I can't remember the song now, but it was not one you here often on radio.

25. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

In @2001 I had a work placement in an office that had BBC radio 1 on in one room and Radio 2 in the other Walked out of one room to whatever Westlife were covering that week, just in time for it to start on the other station.

Not quite on topic - back in the '90s when Virgin Radio massively overplayed The Lemonheads cover of Mrs. Robinson, I remember going straight to the opposite end of the dial to find a local radio/local gold or oldies station playing Simon & Garfunkel's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.