Tell Me About Your All-REGA System!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bhazen, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB Thread Starter

(... particularly w. CDP or DAC as source ...)

I'm pretty happy with my current motley rig; but have occasionally thought that, if audiophilia nervosa strikes me again in the middle future, I might bundle it all up, withdraw some funds from the Roth and drive to my dealer and exchange it all for a source-to-speakers REGA system and be done with it!

So, my SHF Rega pals, tell me of the glories of your ALL-Rega setup (there must be at least a dozen of you!), particularly if CD or DAC is your source.

2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

it's nice stuff but don't cash in your retirement for this stuff

3. bhazen

Don't worry, there'll be a few weeks' worth left over. :D

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. bhazen

5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My #1 system is: Rega RP6, Apollo R, Brio R, Dac and RS3. Cables are Kimber: PBJ and 8TC. I moved to Rega from Parasound and Martin Logan having lost exclusive use of my living room and moving into a spare bed room. I don't regret this. The Rega is a better all around system and what I have lost in "air" I have gained in dynamics. Where the Parasound and M/L were sublime with acoustic instruments and female voices the Rega plays with more texture particularly in percussion and bass. The minimalist Rega ethos appeals to my belief in "only what you need" and no extra circuits. The Parasound (2100 and 2250) on the other hand have bells, whistles and extras that I never used or needed. Still like Parasound, just like the minimalist approach better.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    bhazen likes this.
  6. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Rega RP3, TT-PSU, Brio-R.. Really enjoy the sound.

Matt Starr, samn and bhazen like this.
  7. bhazen

Diamond 10.1? Great speaker! For the money, gives the RS1 a run!

8. bhazen

My Rega-system-in-a-pinch would be: Saturn R>Elex R>RS1 or maybe RS3 in some glossy finish. I think.

Duelling REGA threads!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  9. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

Yeah.. Really enjoy them and excellent value for money.

bhazen likes this.
  10. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

I have the following all Rega kit: P3-2000 with Exact, Mira 3, Planet 2000, R5 speakers and Ear headphone amp. It's very musical and overall sounds great!

bhazen likes this.
  11. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I have an all-Rega system after years of Naim front end and amplification (and some serious expenditure...). Sold it all, bought all-Rega and pocketed the (substantial) change. Best audio decision I ever made.

I have changed the TT a couple of times from P2000 to P3-24 to the current RP6 with Exact cartridge. My CDP is an Apollo. I have a Mira 3 integrated and RS3 speakers. My interconnects and speaker cable are also Rega. There is a wonderful synergy here...

luckyno13, bhazen, shutdown66 and 2 others like this.
  12. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident

RP 6 / Rega DAC > Rega Brio-R > Rega RS5.

It's fantastic. I love it so much. ahah. Just an excellent sounding system, I feel like I want for nothing.

bhazen, shutdown66 and Dmann201 like this.
  13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Hi Michael. You got your RP6 tracking problems sorted then..? I'm glad you are enjoying it. Rega are a great company with superb after-sales service (and, no, I don't work for them. Would like to though!)

14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I'm inching closer to all Rega. I bought a Rega Elicit integrated online last night. It will hang out for a while with my P9 turntable and Saturn CD player. The Audio Research CA50 integrated isn't yet afraid of losing its spot in the main setup, but we shall see. I have been thinking I at least need a summertime alternative to the tube amp.

bhazen and Ntotrar like this.
  15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I have mostly Rega. But despite their legacy, I prefer the electronics. An original Jupiter transport with new DAC is sublime. Brio-R is the end-all of lower power integrateds (and I've tried many, blows away the Nait).

But I cannot recommend the turntables. I used to like them for what they were. Which back in the day, was a taste of the high-end (low rumble & motor noise with a good tracking tonearm) at a low price for those willing to give up pitch stability, room isolation, and automated features. The P3 was a really nice budget alternative to the expensive stuff if, end of the day, the one thing you couldn't give on was sound quality. But compromises nonetheless./

Today they are selling the same basic compromised design as in the past, but at non-compromised pricing.

bhazen likes this.
  16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The new addition to the little Rega collection - the Elicit on top:

[​IMG]

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nice! Best of luck with it...

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Anyone with the new Elex-R?

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've had a demo unit here for a while. Very, very nice. Good combo of sound b/t the Brio and Elicit.

20. antoniofhowe

antoniofhowe Well-Known Member

If one were to go with a Rega Elex-R integrated amp would there still be a benefit to separating out the phono stage with a Rega Fono MM?

21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Rega will tell you yes, that the stand alone Fono MM is slightly better then the on-board stages of the Brio/Elex/Elicit.

I've truthfully not done a side by side of the Fono with a Elex.

22. bhazen

When I auditioned my Croft amp, I also listened to a new Elex-R. Very nice, and in some ways not what I was expecting: in an a/b comparison (via Harbeth P3's), the Elex sounded a bit rounder/smoother than the hybrid Croft Phono. Still Rega, though ... foot-tapping boogie!

23. WapatoWolf

WapatoWolf Forum Resident

great comments by all. I am planning on upgrading to Exposure 2010s2 amp and eventually a Rega Apollo CD player. Have me rethinking the Brio R (the Elex and Elicit are outa my price range).

bhazen and GoldprintAudio like this.
  24. bhazen

Rethinking as in, trying the Apollo R with the Brio R? Boy, I would. Rega system synergy is a real thing, I'm convinced. And if you can, try 'em with RS1's - that's a fabulous system.

25. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have a Fono MM that I used to pair with my Decware Taboo MK II amp and I also own a Brio-R, if the Fono MM is better they are splitting hairs IMO. I will say that the Decware/Rega Fono MM pairing was better than the Brio-R, but that is just amp preference and not a lot to do with the phono stage in the Brio-R.

As to the OP, I have an almost all Rega kit sans speakers as I could just not get into them, but I did run the Brio-R, DAC, RP6 and even Rega Couple Interconnects. Very hard to fault this system for the price and the fact that it's made in a country where their workers receive a fair wage. It has been surpassed with my current McIntosh/Decware system, but still doing great duty in my bedroom as a second system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.