Talk to me about Audio Note AN-E speakers please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

As seductive as the Shindo and Audio Note stuff might be, if I were you I would keep the Harbeths and get this to power it. It would be a mind-blowing combo.

[​IMG]

2. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

That's purdy. I'm in the process of acquiring a vintage Luxman turntable (fingers crossed, knock on wood)--I love the Luxman aesthetic.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  3. Quiet Earth

Quiet Earth Forum Resident

It's easy to get confused with the all of the models and options in the Audio Note catalog. There are almost too many choices. I hope raferx can listen to the E and the J before he decides. Here is some simple advice :

While you are waiting for the demo speakers to arrive at your dealer's place, ask Audio Note which speakers are the most appropriate for your particular amplifier. Dont ask more than that one simple question though because Audio Note will only answer the first question you ask. However, they will answer your question sincerely and that is usually your best bet. This has been my experience with them anyway.

Couple of thoughts. I agree that getting the E HE SPe is the way to go and it is good to "be done with it". I also think it would be fine to use Lexus to wire HE SPe with the Oto. However, I think all of that is slightly out of his budget. Maybe if he gets more credit for his trade in? I would not over buy in speakers if the Oto were the amp that I was keeping in the long run. I would save the money for records and CDs because he is going to be buying a lot of those....... :agree: He might even want to upgrade a source component.

With their cabling I think it is a better use of money to use AN-Vx (or their best silver that you can afford) everywhere that you need an interconnect, and then drop down to copper lexus (or ISIS) at the speakers to save some money. This always seems to sound better than just putting Sogon somewhere near the end and not having the best interconnects that you can afford. This is just my opinion based on what I have heard so far.

Hi Larry,

It's good to speak to you again and I understand what you are saying about the efficiency of Audio Note speakers. But in the end none of that really matters if you are using an Oto to drive them. In other words, it's a sure bet that an Oto can drive all of the Audio Note speakers and drive them well. After all, Audio Note makes their amps to drive their own speakers, not someone else's. I wouldn't sweat the published efficiency numbers.

jsr and raferx like this.
  4. finn

finn Forum Resident

I figured Raferx was having a "love in" with Audio Note and best to buy a speaker that could withstand considerable changes in the upward path of component changes and though by spending more now, would save significant amounts in the future. Once you drink the AN coolaid then it's hard to go back to fizzy water, just saying. Your information Quiet Earth is spot on so no contradiction from me, I'm off to rebuild the output board of a DAC 4.1 Balanced with 2 watt non magnetic tantalums. Cheers.

raferx likes this.
  5. Quiet Earth

Quiet Earth Forum Resident

6. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I'd second the Devores

7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely agree.

8. raferx

I haven't heard Luxman personally, but I have read a lot of good press about them. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm set on my Audio Note amplification for the long haul (for many reasons, not the least of which is having just waited more than four months after ordering it for delivery).
    :)

triple, utahusker and T'mershi Duween like this.
  9. raferx

In the long view, I can see going to an Oto Signature, but I'm firmly in the integrated camp; I'd not go to a pre-amp/monoblocks set-up for a number of reasons, a big reason being space and room integration.
    I'm running AN UK silver banana plugs with custom shotgun-runs of 12 gauge, high-purity OFC speaker cables that were built by my AN dealer, and Lexus interconnects for the phono/SUT.
    If I did a speaker cable upgrade down the line, it would most likely be Lexus as well, as my dealer (and several other AN owners) have said that in their opinion the Lexus ICs and speaker cables are the sweetest spot in the AN cable range for price/performance, and that the smart money is on better source components first, cabling second.
    Which, in all honesty, I can't argue with.

10. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

As an Audio Note dealer, I have demo pairs of AN/E-Lexus HE and AN/E-SPe, which I have heard in many different rooms and with a few different amplifiers. What I've heard is greater "articulation" of low-level details with the SPe internal wiring. But with an 8 or 10 wpc AN amplifier (such as the Oto), I would not choose this benefit in favor of the greater dynamics and liveliness I hear from the Lexus HE. The more powerful AN amps bring out this dynamic character from either speaker, but the Oto benefits from greater speaker efficiency, as you know from your experience with the even lower efficiency Harbeths. I would definitely choose an AN/E-HE model, with its silver voice coils and higher efficiency, first and foremost, to fully enjoy your Oto SE amp. Since you do not intend to spring for silver speaker cables, I think paying more for silver internal wiring will only bring you half-way to the subtle (but beautiful) benefits of AN silver.

SandAndGlass, raferx and kfringe like this.
  11. raferx

Thank you for the insight Warren, much appreciated.
    Your nod to the HE's greater dynamics with an amp like the Oto echoes my dealer's sentiments in previous conversations as well.

12. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

I am in the same camp as Rafe. In fact I have visited Rafe and enjoyed playing music at his place. There is no question that the OTO SE has some magic going on in regards to the texture and feel and musical enjoyment. It could use more power to drive the Harbeths, but that will be taken care of by the AN-E SPE HE speakers that he is considering.

I enjoyed myself enough to drop in again at Sound Hounds and listen during a quiet period to a dedicated Audio Note system. The manager, Don explained that they had sold almost all of their AN gear to keep their clients happy and ordered more gear to demonstrate with. He had an unusual pairing of Meishu Silver Signature integrated amp with an older model of AN-K speakers and TT-1 turntable. Not a normal matchup, but I appreciated the effort to allow me to get to know the Audio Note house sound. I played records for 3.5 to 4 hours in the back listening room and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The AN-K's are 90 dB efficient, but with the Meishu they had much more punch and impact than I expected. The OTO SE has 10 watts and the Meishu has 9 watts. When you up the efficiency of the speakers to 98 dB from 90, I think that will give Rafe the volume and punch that he is looking for in his music. The M1 phono stage should gel perfectly with those components.

Having heard a couple of Audio Note systems now, I am going to switch from a very nice solid state system to an AN tube system..... Well, the amp and speakers at least. I quite like my VPI Classic 1 and my Meitner MA-1 DAC, so I will keep those.

I didn't mean to derail Rafe's discussion. More to support the decision to buy AN-E SPE HE speakers. I'm convinced that you will really like them Rafe!

raferx likes this.
  13. raferx

I guess you did have a good time at my place after all ;)
    Let's catch up, I want to hear about what you ordered!

14. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Rafe.....firstly, damn I wish I lived closer, I'd relieve you of the M30.1's in a heartbeat!

If it were me, I'd definitely want a listen to a pair of Devore speakers before choosing. They are hard to come by over my side of the pond, but the regard in which they are held by owners of Shindo & Line Magnetic low powered amps across several forums makes me think they must be doing something very right! Whether it's enough to better an all AN setup, I don't know, but given the cost hike involved when products cross the Atlantic you might get more bang for your buck with Devore?

Alternative suggestion ....keep the Harbeths & track down either a Leben cs600 or a Line Magnetic 518IA!

Either way, all the best with the search, there's magic in tube amps that imho makes it all worthwhile :)

Don Parkhurst and raferx like this.
  15. raferx

Thanks very much Magoo6, Devore keeps coming up in most conversations I have regarding high-efficiency speakers.
    I think in the end, it will come down to what sounds best with the Oto that I am able demo.
    If I can hear O/93s or O/96s than I will definitely make time to do so, but it seems (based on all the great, and educated feedback here and from my dealer) that matching the Oto with a speaker closer to 100 dB will pay the biggest dividends.

16. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

FWIW, I have a 40 watt (the difference between 10 and 40 not being cavernous) valve amp driving 92dB speakers. At this point, I have to drive the volume control very carefully. Not sure I would be happy with a stepped attenuator. Seems a good match, with lively low-volume listening.

17. Don Parkhurst

I bought a classic rosewood cabinet Luxman system when I was in high school and loved it! It wasn't in the same league as Audio Note amps, but the latest top Luxman models look promising.

I think Rafe is using the OTO SE and his RP-6 as the building block of his 'new' system, so either of them are the least likely to be replaced.

I too would like to hear that amp driving his Harbeths or my Proacs.

Don

raferx likes this.
  18. Don Parkhurst

I haven't ordered anything yet, but I will after my Proacs sell. I sure wish that they were more efficient because they are wonderful/gorgeous/addictive. To drive them with great tube power would be quite pricey and I like the smaller and simpler approach of an Audio Note integrated with high efficiency speakers.

I will probably order a Soro SE or Soro SE Signature to go with AN-E SPE HE speakers. I will borrow my daughter's Epos M12 speakers (with Target stands) while I wait for them to be built.

raferx likes this.
  19. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Is that right you have only had the Audio Note a few weeks? If so I would talk to your dealer to see if he can exchange . I have heard the Luxman/Harbeth combi myself at a HIFI wigwam exhibition and it sounded EXCELLENT (pure music , if it wasn't for the fact my own system sounded as good as it does I would go in that direction. Luxman are quality.

20. raferx

Thanks, but not interested in exchanging the Oto at all... I love the Harbeths, but tubes/high-efficiency speakers are the direction my ears are leading me.

kfringe likes this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think you are on the right track.

IanL, beowulf and raferx like this.
  22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Rafe,

With the Oto, you probably have enough power for any of the Audionote speakers. But, your comment about suggests that you think the DeVore Orangutan 93 and 96 are LESS efficient than the Audionote speakers when they are probably more efficient (at least the O/96). The Audionote line, when measured using standard measuring protocol are far less efficient than the rating given by the manufacturer. As to which speakers are the easiest to drive that is a different matter and has to do with other measurements, particularly the impedance curve of the speaker (relating impedance of the speaker with frequency) and a curve showing the phase angle of power and current vs. frequency (curves shown in Stereophile reports). Being easy to drive (having a fairly flat impedance curve and low phase ange throughout most of the frequency range) can be a more important determinant of a speaker being tube friendly than efficiency. This was brought home to me by hearing the old Rogers LS3/5a monitors playing in a large room with low-powered tube amps. The sound was very good, and with no sense of dynamic compression even though the speakers are rated in the low 80s for efficiency.

I don't know about DeVores in that respect, but, I do know from listening that Audionote speakers are quite easy to drive. I have heard AN-E and AN-Ks with one of the set of amps I own (Audionote Kageki), and those amps put out less power than the Oto. I have only heard the DeVores with Shindo and Line Magnetic amps, but I suspect that they are also quite easy to drive. In addition to the other suggestions I have mentioned above, I would also put Edgarhorns on the list of nice sounding candidates (probably around 100 db/w). I am personally going to give a serious audition to the Surreal Sound speaker that has a built in bass amp, but is driven over most of its range by whatever amp the buyer supplies (the midrange/tweeter is 99 db/w efficient); I was most impressed by their demonstration at the Capital Audiofest this summer.

raferx likes this.
  23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Larry brings up good points. The manufacturer's rating is often a suggestions of sorts. My old speakers were rated @ 90dB, but everyone says 87dB is more like it. And, when working with tubes, do look at the impedance curve. Look at the lowest dip. That is where your amp will struggle the most. Not bad to be able to drive them from the lower Ohm tap.

24. raferx

Absolutely correct, I was strictly referring to spec'd dB ratings.
    Speaker impedance curves and the load presented to an amplifier is far more telling of how a system will work together.
    Case in point being my Harbeth M30.1s; spec'd 85 dB rating, yet my Oto SE can drive them quite respectably.
    If I can listen to DeVores I will, but if the AN-Es sound as close to the M30.1s as I've been led to believe (slightly warmer in the mids was what I was told), I'll be going that route.

25. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Rafe,

I agree completely with your approach. While it is nice to hear a lot of alternatives, it is impossible to hear all candidates, much less hear them under reasonably controlled and uniform circumstances. It makes a lot of sense to just go with what you hear and like and not worry about whether you passed up something even better.

raferx and jupiterboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.