"China Beach" Complete-Series DVD in Early 2013 ("Almost All" Music Intact)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Planbee, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

China Beach has always been one of my favorite TV shows. The time period covered the late 60s, when I was in college. I bought the Time-Life series when it came out. It was expensive, but there are some nice extras with the boxed set.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Nor do I, which was my point.

Harry

3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Back to China Beach...

I picked up the season 1 DVD set, and have watched about half the eps. PQ is good enough, really, so I'm pretty satisfied. The only glaring omission I've seen so far is in the episode "Hot Spell" where they pretty much cut out Laurette's (Chloe Webb) entire singing performance. The scene cuts from the dressing room before the performance, to Laurette and Boonie on the beach later that night. It's really obvious, and pretty brutal.

It took a bit of sleuthing, but I found one thread in the Home Theater Forum that mentions the missing scene. It was due to the song (There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover song having to get chopped. Bummer.

4. HGN2001

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to save my old VHS-to-DVD episodes for cases such as this.

Harry

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They couldn't clear the publishing on a 1941 song? How in the world could this be expensive? I'm baffled.

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Believe me, you aren't alone. It's weird.

7. HGN2001

Could it possibly have been a hold-up in "performance rights" versus "publishing rights"?

8. jenniper

jenniper New Member

Season 1 is available on Netflix (DVD, not streaming), I have been dying to show it to my teenage daughters. It's been so many years but I remembered the scene and was shocked not to see it there.

I am amazed a song like White Cliffs of Dover was a song they couldn't get. I really wanted to see, it, I too thought the cut was brutal, Laurette all of a sudden in Boonies arms doesn't quite make sense. It's a shame but of course I would want to with hold the show from DVD release over it. I wonder about any other changes... and if I can continue to spot the difference with a show I haven't seen in 20+ years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.