So I am going to play every 45 in my collection....(Pt. 2!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Here's to the next 550! I love all the Breakfast Club and Breathe stuff. That first Breathe album is a nice slice of sophisticated pop - hard to believe their first album had 3 top 10 hits but the second album barely registered. I don't know if it was released initially in the USA, but in the UK the first single from the first album was "Jonah." A fourth single was released in the US, "All This I Should Have Known," but it didn't hit. I have a ton of their import CD singles, but the Cherry Red reissue from about a year ago collected all of that stuff up nicely. The album also has 3 different covers; the last one issued after the bassist left. I have a VHS home video release from the first album as well where their videos are interspersed with interview clips with the band. Sad to say the drummer died a while back (I believe it was drugs and/or "hard living"). Guitarist went to work in the tech field, and David Glasper, I think, moved to Turkey or Thailand or something. What a voice!!! Too bad you don't have the singles from their second album - "Say A Prayer" is kind of meh but "Does She Love That Man?" is a wonderful pop song with a holiday theme, and UK 3rd single "Say Hello" has some great lyrics about being too shy to talk to a woman. I could relate when I was a single guy!

I love "Right On Track" by Breakfast Club but also love their second single, "Kiss And Tell" just as much. Should have been a hit!

c-eling and Juggsnelson like this.
  2. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

I learn so much from your posts! Yeah I am kind of shocked that someone with a voice as good as Glasper's (not to mention the songwriting talent) was never really heard from again in a big way. A shame!

3. Juggsnelson

Brilliant-That's What Good Friends Are For/Push UK COPY
    Interesting band here......Youth quits Killing Joke and forms this ensemble which at certain points features Jimmy Cauty from KLF and later on is produced by S.A.W. This track, their first single and a swipe at his former band mates in Killing Joke, is a bit of a punk/alternative/pop hodge-podge. This one grows on you quite a bit.
    "Push" is also a blending of sounds..a pulsing bass beat with some interesting keyboard flourishes.
    [​IMG]

Surly likes this.
  4. Juggsnelson

Johnny Bristol-Hang on in there Baby/Take Care of You For Me
    I love me some good old fashioned soul! One of my favorites from this period, I love it when the grls take over at the end and Johnny drops some great asides over them.
    "Take Care...." is another really good song. This 45 is a winner for sure. I love Johnny's voice.
    [​IMG]

Dan Steely and Mr Bass like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Johnny Bristol-Go on and Dream/Love Takes Tears
    A slow, string soaked jam. Johnny really brings his A-Game on these smokey ballads.
    "Love Takes Tears" has a little bit of a disco flavor to it. "Love takes tears, and my fear is that you haven't learned to cry".....cool lyric and a neat twist on the proverbial "young love" song. This one is always in the 70's R&B rotation at my house.
    [​IMG]

6. Juggsnelson

Johnny Bristol-I Sho Like Groovin' With Ya/You Turned Me On to Love
    Some really great rhythm and lead guitar guides this track. The strings are just a touch overbearing. I would love to hear a version without them.
    "You Turned Me..." has more of an intimate feel and the mix let's Johnny's vocal take the forefront. Not one of his better ballads but it sounds great!
    [​IMG]

7. Juggsnelson

Johnny Bristol-Do It to My Mind/Love to Have a Chance to Taste the Wine
    Johnny's got the fireplace going but he wants to open up about his feelings before he gets down and dirty. Bristol is quite a talent....he wrote, sang, and produced the majority of his catalg and the production on these 45's is nothing short of spectacular.
    "Love to Have..." finds Johnny offering up his desire to reconnect with an old flame. A great front to back single.
    [​IMG]

8. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice to see Breathe get a couple mentions, big fan, thanks for posting Juggs!

Surly and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Bronski Beat-Why? (special version) PROMO
    I really dig most of Jimmy Somerville's work , especially with The Communards, and this is no exception. The opening synth figure grabs you right at the start. I'm sure there is an extended 12" mix of this out there....this is a song that would benefit from an extended workout because the music is bouncy and upbeat and fun! This belongs blaring on a dance floor at the club.....Shame I only have the one 45....
    [​IMG]

HiFi Guy 008 and Dan Steely like this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Those singles are all gems!!!

11. Juggsnelson

Gary Brooker-The Cycle (let it flow)/Badlands (non LP) UK COPY
    Procal Harum's Brooker carved out a nice slice of adult pop with this single. Mellow and soothing...
    "Badlands" is a bit repetitive but still a nice track.
    [​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  12. Juggsnelson

The Brothers Johnson-Strawberry Letter #23/Dancin' and Prancin'
    Produced by Quincy Jones and it sounds awesome! I have always liked this song but I feel it had another level to get to but it never does.
    "Dancin and Prancin", as the title implies, has a party goin' on through the track. A nice horn workout but nothing special.
    [​IMG]

13. Juggsnelson

The Brothers Johnson-Love Is/Right on Time
    An acoustic love ballad! I usually expect something a little more funky from The Brother's but this is a nice change of pace.
    "Right on Time" brings the funk! Some intriguing vocal effects but the music is sweet.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  14. Juggsnelson

The Brothers Johnson-Dancin' Free PROMO
    A lot of singles from 1981 are tough to call...a lot of them sound like 1976 to me. This tune belongs in that category. Goodbye 70's, we're Dancin Free into the 80's!
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Juggsnelson

James Brown-Super Bad (Parts 1 & 2)/Super Bad (Part 3)
    The band lays down a tight groove on this one. "Watch Me"!!! I wish I was James! The guitar line flowing underneath the bass and the horns really makes this track for me.
    [​IMG]

16. Juggsnelson

James Brown-Escape-Ism Part 1/Escape-Ism Parts 2& 3
    I miss seeing James' face on the label. A nice rap between James and the guys in the band.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot, Dan Steely and Mylene like this.
  17. Juggsnelson

James Brown-There It Is (part 1)/There It is (part 2)
    There's James' smiling mug on the label! These sdo their thing.ongs lose a little luster for me without the added visual impact of watching James and the gang do their thing.
    [​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Dan Steely like this.
  18. Juggsnelson

James Brown-Get on the Good Foot (part 1)/Get on the Good Foot (part 2)
    James lets out some of those trademark screeches that Prince would expertly adopt later on. The guitar melody reminds me of The Sesame Street theme slightly sped up.
    [​IMG]

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I got the 12" version of "Why" - all 7:46 of it. Got it a few years ago, but just played it the other day for the first time. I don't even remember where I got this record. But I love it. Never heard Bronski Beat before until now. Good stuff.

I'm in the midst of needledropping my 12" single collection. At the rate I'm going I should finish up in 2016.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

James Brown-Rapp Payback (part 1)/Rapp Payback (part 2) MADE IN SPAIN
    James looks smooth in that hat!! James may have been a man of few words sometimes but he always had a part 2 or part 3 of his message all lined up to hit you with on side 2.
    [​IMG]

Dan Steely likes this.
  21. Juggsnelson

I don't have that 12" but I bet it's great! 12" singles are so great. They sound phenomenal and some of those extended mixes are just superbly done. Yeah it takes awhile but at least you get to hear some great stuff you haven't heard in a long time while doing it. I'm finding quite a few gems while playing these.....songs I totally forgot about or just never even knew in the first place.

22. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The pessimist in me says "I'll never get through all these records"

But the optimist says "I have the rest of my life to enjoy this music" :thumbsup:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. Juggsnelson

James Brown-Living in America/Farewell (Vince Dicola)
    I never knew Dan Hartman co-wrote and produced this! This was featured in the wildly successful Rocky 4 and humorously redone by Weird Al as "Living With A Hernia". I still blame James Brown and this catchy pre-fight tune for Apollo Creed's death to this day.......
    [​IMG]

Dan Steely likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

I always tell myself that I will get to enjoy all of these once I am retired! I think I would still need to live to about 120 to make it through all of them though!

25. Juggsnelson

Miquel Brown-So Many Men, So Little Time/Instrumental
    An early 80's dance club classic. A sequel of sorts to"It's Raining Men"......Miquel's got a strong voice....
    [​IMG]

Dan Steely likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.