Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

What are those? A new type of headphones?? Cool!! Let me try them!!

;) Arnie

2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I've used those headphones. They just make the music pump like mad.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I believe it s the truth. And this time the coming-soon-card will be even more collectable than the previous one

4. JLPMacca

JLPMacca Forum Resident

What a letdown, if it's true. They SHOULD/MUST reissue the remaining 4 Wings albums...

5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Why oh why are you all so impatient? The man is obviously taking care of his product and we should grateful that McCartney supervises his own discography.
    There WILL be deluxe editions of the remaining Wings albums, why should they skip them? There is no reason to skip those.

Easy now people. Take your time and ENJOY the deluxe editions as they are slowly coming your way.

That he chooses to release Tug Of War and Pipes Of Peace before the remaining Wings albums, is probably because he wants to shift focus. Maybe there isn't any logic in this, but there wasn't any logic in releasing Band On The Run first, followed by his two eponymous albums and then RAM and Wings Over America.
    Once they are out there, we will enjoy them and in 10 years time, we will have them all and it's forgotten that they didn't follow the chronological orders.

6. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

He's basically following a pattern of his best sellings records, isn't he? McCartney II was an exception, but it was a great tie in to McCartney, which sold very good. And Paul knew the time was right for McCartney II, after many DJs spinning Temporary Secretary.

Will Harris likes this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree that it s a bit early to start feeling angst and compaining about what one believe not will be released. Unless of course- one wants to complain and dwell in negativity. To each their own

MHP likes this.
  8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I agree entirely with this sentiment, but I don't agree with the highlighted part: I think there is a logic (I'm not suggesting you were saying there isn't: I take it you were just flagging up the possibility/perception). The logic is simple: pick the albums you think are the best ones/most likely to be positively received, and put 'em out.

Band On The Run: no-brainer for first up. It's important in any long-term plan to get off to a good start. Putting out a couple of albums that no-one responds to is the best way of scuppering the thing before it's even started.

McCartney/McCartney II: two albums that appeal to the low-fi/experimental indie aesthetic and are likely to be well received as a result.

Ram: obviously a great album that was likely to be bolstered by reappraisal.

Wings Over America: two parts to this. Firstly, it might have been considered redundant by some if it had been reissued after Venus and Mars and Speed of Sound. Secondly, many of the performances on it better those of the studio albums. Getting some good publicity for those tracks is an excellent way of preparing a wider audience for a level-headed re-evaluation of the studio albums.

So, what next? Personally (and I know there will be dissension when I say this) but I think Macca is better off switching attention from low-scoring Wings albums to the best of his solo work. I know Wild Life et al have their supporters (I'm one of em) but I can also see that they'd be a harder sell to reviewers and the general public.

Tug of War is bound to be well received and Pipes of Peace may well benefit from a piggy back a la McCartney II.

What after? I suspect we'll see Flowers in the Dirt coupled with Off The Ground. Then, maybe Flaming Pie as a stand-alone. Then, perhaps, we'll go back to Wings to finish that era off before rounding out the programme with Broad Street and Press To Play (I hope).

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I agree -it makes sense

10. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Is there a picture of the card somewhere?

11. etcetera

etcetera Forum Resident

Tug of War and Pipes of Peace contain 2 enormous hits & the fact that they have duets with Jackson, wonder and perkins will be a big plus for the re promotion . The press to play preproduction has been started and will contain a day in the live aid 45 mn film ( 24 hours following Paul during the live aid day, shoot by John Hammel, from Sussex to wembley ) The edit is said to be superb : another commercial plus for a nadir LP. The other wings ops are ready to be released at anytime, but probably more on a digitalised form, as an apple app . Some re edits are made too on the rushes for broadstreet . And the box set full of outtakes is planned for the next couple of years ( sic ). Enjoy the 2 new great box sets next week

12. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Wino-
    They are in the (2) cd set of both titles. Concorde sent us several of each to give away. I will try and get a photo to post, but, being a luddite, I am still having difficulty. They are exactly the same as the previous cards, with an ad for the previous re-issues on the flip.

heatherly and winojunko76 like this.
  13. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

I know this goes against conventional wisdom but, if it's true, I personally find this very exciting.

JimC likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You've made a lot of people very happy today!

15. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ecspecially the undisputed emperor of comings soon cards Arnold

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The Live Aid footage sounds very interesting; I didn't even know that it existed.

Do you have any info about what will be included in the outtakes box-set?

Yorick likes this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

19. Meddle

Meddle Forum Resident

Is tug of war and pipes of peace really coming next ?

20. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Because I'm 62 dagnabbit! I'd like to be able to get these while I can still hear! (Dern kids, lawn, etc.)

(All kidding aside - I'm interested in these 2 titles. I've never owned Tug Of War. I was out of work when it came out and I guess I never back-tracked. As for Pipes Of Piece, I have the vinyl, but haven't listened to it in ages, so I'm OK with these choices. But it's OK with me if he speeds this up just a tad!)

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

That's the RUUUMMMOOOR, according to someone who has received advance copies of Venus & Mars / Speed of Sound with a new "Coming Soon" card. We're still awaiting an uploading of an image for verification.

Arnie

22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

The fact Tug of War/POP (yay) are coming next doesn't mean we won't be getting any more Wings albums. This campaign hasn't exactly run by chronology so far. Expanded TOW will keep me happy long enough to wait for the other Wings sets.

23. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

I kind of hope TOW and POP are coming out next. I was never happy with the sound of any of the releases of these two albums. Plus having "Ode to a Koala Bear", "Rainclouds" and "I've Give You a Ring" would be very nice. I do hope we see the rest of the Wings records sooner or later. I just hope the bonus material stays solid like it was with V&M and ATSOS as well as the sound.

For all that haven't heard the new reissues they sound very good. It's a much more natural sound than any of the CDs that have previously came out.

24. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

I'm thinking that most of us already have plenty of TOW and POP outtakes, plus the original CD's sound great. Bring me some Wild life....

Frank, Grunherz54 and Mazzy like this.
  25. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Great news etcetera, but let's hope the remaining Wings albums get more than just a digitial-only release. That would be a shame and a slap in the face to collectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.