Jeff Lynne /ELO Live Hyde Park 2014 Complete Show Streaming BBC Radio 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LSP2003, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Perhaps we have a different sense of what constitutes good direction for a TV concert. I basically want the cuts to happen right on the musical phrase, the cameras to cut to the singer when he or she sings, and to be able to see a soloist when their part comes up int he song. We didn't get that here.

evh5150 and kwadguy like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. And I want direction that doesn't reflect the half second attention span aesthete in the post MTV era...I want the camera direction to be my eyes, assuming I'm of sound mind, not my eyes riddled on speed.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there's a happy medium where they aren't cutting to a new angle every two seconds and making the viewer dizzy. As one example, look at the editing on the Rolling Stones' Shine a Light (which I worked on for 4 or 5 months), which was really brilliantly edited. But in that case, it wasn't a live TV show -- they had months to carefully hone the edit. Still, it's possible to cut a live show and do it well, provided the director knows the music well, the cameras are in the right positions, and you have a lotta cameras. What I mentioned earlier, the Oscars, the Emmys, the Grammys, and the Tonys do live music every year and it's generally stellar.

The Brian Wilson SMiLE concert was also extremely well done -- though again, they had the benefit of a lot of post. Live TV is very hard... but you don't sit on wide shots of 50,000 people in a park for 20 seconds. That ain't good TV.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

To the OP -
    Thanks again for this post - I woulda missed the broadcast a few weeks ago.
    Can't wait to see him play...hopefully this has given him the urge to tour stateside.

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I just watched this on BBC iplayer and thought it was fantastic, what a great show.

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The version showing on BBC4 the last couple of nights is re-edited & remixed from the original stream and has interview footage in between some songs. It's a much slicker version than the original and well worth checking out.

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That is the one I watched, fantastic, and I am not really a fan of ELO.

edenofflowers likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, they proved that in the documentary released a couple of years ago, showing Jeff recording in his Hollywood Hills living room. Even raw vocals on one mic sounded fine. I think people understand what a great range Lynne has with his voice; he's one of the rare singers who seems to have three different voices: the "normal" lead vocal, his background vocals, and his falsetto, each surprisingly different but blending together very well. His understanding of 4 and 5-part harmony is really amazing.

9. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

It would be great if the BBC released this Hyde Park show on DVD/CD. It's too good to languish in the vaults.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Yes I agree. It was a stunning show and the sound was fantastic.

11. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Unfortunately, "much slicker" means that Jeff's voice has been completely drowned in auto-tune for much of the show, to sometimes quite hilarious levels. The start of "Turn to Stone", for instance, is ridiculous.

Still enjoying it, but it does make me suspicious about everything I'm hearing and how much of it is really live.

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

God I'm glad I am not an audiophile freak. Just give me a great concert to watch were the songs sound about the same as the records and I am happy.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, much higher quality video now up on YouTube:

They also went back in and did some editing and color-correction -- and some fans are complaining in the comments that there may be some AutoTuned vocals in spots. But it's much, much better as a TV concert now. Very good mix, too. The strings in particular sound really good.

Comet01 and Tord like this.
  14. ELOfanatic

ELOfanatic New Member

Actually, Jeff did a PBS concert in 2001 with Richard Tandy playing piano.... I have the DVD

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  15. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Has there EVER been an ELO show without Richard Tandy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.