The Grateful Dead + "Hey Jude"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RayS, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Going through the box my favorite little moment is the Caribbean-flavored jam that connects "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" and "Drumz" in Landover. It's unique (to me, anyway) and just a cool little nugget. They also went "MSWS" into "Drumz" in Albany, but that one essentially stops dead with no jam at all.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

True.

I was at those Hamilton shows. The place went nuts when "Hey Jude" started, and it was great to see it in person.....even though the first 2 verses turned out bad.

Crispy Rob and musicalbeds like this.
  3. JBNY

JBNY Forum Resident

The Dead also performed Fantasy/Hey Jude at a live show in '88 at the Garden that I was at. It was fun the crowd had a good time.

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The outtake version of I Saw Her Standing There that was a bonus track with the All Good Things box is much better than the slower one that made the cut for the Run for the Roses album (which I agree is no great shakes).

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I really enjoyed that jam when I listened to it last week as well.

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That was the Hey Jude "coda" only, not full song. That was much more common - they did it in Red Rocks in '85 and then by '87 or certainly '88 it was a common occurrence. The Hamilton '90 show is the only time post-'69 that they played the entire song.

musicalbeds likes this.
  7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Here's the first occasion where Brent joined Bobby for an acoustic version. There were several more in 1988:

5/15/86 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA (Thu)
    Festival, My Blue Tears*, This Time Forever>Victim>Throwing Stones, Hey Jude^
    (* = w/ Kat McLean and l.t.p. was 4/29/76; ^ = w/ Brent Mydland and first time played)
    (Wavy Gravy 50th Birthday Bash and "benefit for just about anything")

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

This also applies to their entire catalogue - they generally took chances and for that, they get major props. They are, at one turn, the best rock band ever and at another turn, the worst rock band ever. But their great stuff is so far above anything else in the rock idiom that they have to be in my top 2-3 rock bands of all time. I've long had trouble describing all of this, but I think I got it right this time.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Sluggish tempo really kills the Pigpen version.

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I must say the 3/1/69 version is interesting with Pigpen goin "why don't you try walkin on the water". what's that about? Who cares?

That one from 3/22/90 though, OMG yikes

Seriously, yikes

11. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

the Pigpen version kinda sucked too, but the rest of the show was great...

12. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

i always liked the 2/11/69 version from the fillmore east show. but maybe that fantastic lovelight before it makes it just a little bit better

it's pretty sluggish though

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i agree hey jude didn't work for them

14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I caught a couple odd ball ones in the eighties - Get Back and Blackbird - and they were both bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.