Steve Hoffman has remastered BS&T's "Child Is Father To The Man"(1967)for AF hybrid 5.1 SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukejosephchung, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Got my copy of this today. I have only listened to the 5.1 of this so far, but IMO it's a winner.

Great fidelity, really nice 5.1 mix -- especially considering it's from a 1967 8 track recording in which the guitar and bass, according to the liner notes) were apparently recorded onto the same track! I would say the 5.1 mix fits the music -- appropriately immersive much of the time, but for those who like stuff coming at them from all directions, there is plenty of use of discrete elements in the front and rear speakers when the music calls for it (although perhaps Al Kooper went a little overboard with the moving elements in the mix...to the point where it's a little gimmicky at times -- but that's a minor quibble).

Oddly, I'm not very familiar with this LP even though I think I have a copy on vinyl somewhere (and listening to the album now, I'd say I enjoy it, but don't love it). So perhaps those of you for whom the original stereo mix is embedded in your DNA, you'll have a different view of the 5.1 mix.

Given how much I enjoy this mix, it's funny how Kooper praises the Pet Sounds 5.1 mix in the liner notes -- because this 5.1 mix is light years better than the Pet Sounds 5.1 mix IMO.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This album is in my DNA. Since 1967 in fact. I'm really excited but have to wait, Bull Moose won't have my copy until 11/10, but I can wait.
    Thanks for the review. Enjoy !

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I love this album too. I am right there in the waiting boat. Since I dropped Amazon Prime, it seems like things take forever to arrive.

Myke likes this.
  4. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

I received my copy yesterday via the Audio Fidelity drone. I listened to the Redbook layer in the car last night.

The mastering by Steve is excellent! There is more mid-range information on this mastering as compared to other masterings I have. Upon first listening, I was a bit shocked by this tonality difference. However, after I settled in sonically, I began to hear nuances and detail I have never heard before on this album. The instruments sound more like real instruments, especially the horns and strings. The sound is more intimate because of the mastering choices. The low end is solid but not too heavy. The tonality is nicely balanced through each track. Highly recommended!

Most of all, it was treat to listen to and enjoy this album again!

Bob

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It has nothing to do with Prime. Amazon simply gets Audio Fidelity discs a few weeks after Audio Fidelity or the audiophile music dealers ship them. I have Prime, and Amazon shows a release date of November 11th but is not showing a delivery estimate yet.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As for the music, to what are or will be folks comparing the stereo SACD track? It seems that a lot of people like the MasterSound gold CD, but I never picked up that one. I have the MFSL gold CD, Impex gold CD, the remastered Sony CD, and a couple early Japanese pressings. The MFSL disc is good, so that is probably the one I will use for comparisons.

7. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

I might have to check this one out.

8. Kliph

Kliph Senior Member

I just ordered from Amazon Canada - It will ship on 11/11. I recall hearing this album for the
    first time when I was in High School. It was so different and refreshing from the current
    crop of late 60's music.

Can't wait

.................Kliph

Myke likes this.
  9. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Anyone compare the Stereo of the AF version to Kevin Gray's mastering?

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Heh

11. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Excellent 5.1 mix on this one, and great sound. Stereo mix up next.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

Hope mine comes soon!

13. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I got this and Pilgrim today. I've never owned either album before. The BS&T is good stuff!

14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

My copy arrived today. The 5.1 mix is great.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I hate you.

Nah, but I wish mine would ship.

16. aoxomoxoa

Amazon says mine will arrive Friday. I overpaid for it too. A cool $30. I could have got it on import cds for like $12 less. It was too late to cancel once I figured it out. I contacted Amazon and they basically told me to pound salt. I am really not liking Amazon these days.

17. If you can catch the delivery person, you can always refuse the Amazon package. It will head back to them and you should get a full refund.

Myke likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Lost me when they raised the free shipping threshold to $35 and stopped discounting music. Bull Moose and ccmusic are my new go-to mail order companies. So long, Amazon.

ti-triodes, Bill Mac and aoxomoxoa like this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

But then I have to reorder it and wait for it so I may just listen to it and chalk it up to paying more attention to my preorders. I actually thought they were all done for now!

20. DreadPikathulhu

You could always order one from Import CDs and return it unopened to Amazon once it arrives, assuming it is in Amazon's 30 day window.

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

This might explain partly why Amazon is closing accounts due to frequency of returns. :)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

I ordered mine from Amazon quite a while back, but I've noticed since then that even my local Indy store has better prices on MFSL and Audio Fidelity SACDs. This will probably be my last pre-order from Amazon for music.

Their book and video prices still seem competitive.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

OK. Dumb question because I should know. How do I get my Sony player to play the 2-channel SACD layer?

24. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Which Sony? Remote?

25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Should be a button on the remote and player to change between surround or stereo.

My Sony remote has "Multi/2Ch right next to the SACD/CD button.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.