Pink Floyd albums you would love to hear in surround sound

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

#1: Animals
    #2,3: hmmm, tough. Toss-up between Momentary and Atom Heart Mother (mostly for the title track).
    #4: Meddle

I'm not counting the ones already released in surround…I forget, does that include The Wall by now?

3. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I saw Pink Floyd twice in the 80's and both times they played Stereo, certainly no discrete quad PA system

Are you referring to the 70'e where quad was popular for a couple of years?

Even the most recent reissue of the the division bell I have not heard David Gilmour talk about surround sound at all, outside of milking every known format to maximise $$

4. botley

botley Forum Resident

They used sound effects on the Lapse tours with Quad outputs (radio dialogue in "Learning to Fly", clocks in "Time", cash registers in "Money", etc.) and even routed guitar and keyboard solos into the Quad channels using joysticks. It wasn't at EVERY show in the 80s but it was certainly at every Wall show (the orchestra backing tapes were definitely Quad).

TDB was even more ambitious with its Quad effects; they brought the original digital sequencer programming on the road with them to have four discrete channels of audio effects on tracks like "Keep Talking", "High Hopes" and "Poles Apart". The 5.1 remix that just came out is actually Quad with a bit of reverb in the centre.

Tristero likes this.
  5. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

Not to forget "Run Like Hell" 16:00

botley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.