What Rush albums do you consider to be part of their classic period?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to BluesOvertookMe with his Iron Maiden thread, I decided to do the same with Rush. Which Rush albums would you class as part of their purple patch? I picked 2112 to Presto. 2112 was their first bona fide classic and the one which put them on the map musically. I know that their eighties output after Signals gets mixed reviews but Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire were the first Rush albums I ever bought. Those albums were the part of my musical soundtrack in my late teens/early twenties. Roll the Bones was their first album where I didn't quite think it met the standards of their previous work.

DiabloG, jay.dee and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  2. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Much as I like Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows, it's the run from 2112 to Signals for me.

3. At the time of release I hated Signals so Moving Pictures was the end for me of what I considered to be Rush.

The shows I attended on the Signals tour were still good, as were those on the Hold Your Fire tour but I can't say I liked the direction the material was taking. With hindsight, Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows are fine albums but they are from a different Rush period to those I cut my teeth on. As for Hold Your Fire....

4. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

For me, classic Rush will always be Fly By Night through Moving Pictures. Signals and GUP have grown on me over the years, for sure, but they're not really classic Rush to me (still think of them as the new stuff). Don't really listed to much after GUP.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Moving Pictures.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I went with 2112 through Moving Pictures. You could really make an argument to include Signals at the tail end but IMO it is a transitional album that gets it right part of the time and misses the mark part of the time as well.

7. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

2112 - Signals

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Rush - Moving Pictures. I know no one loves the first record and everyone loves Signals; I'm a maverick, I guess.

Tone_Boss, scottabs and jon9091 like this.
  9. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

For a classic run of albums
    Farewell to Kings
    Hemispheres
    Permanent Waves
    Moving pictures

The best time ever for a young hirsute rocker such as myself

sound chaser likes this.
  10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Tough to say. 2112 - Hold Your Fire at least for me.

marke likes this.
  11. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I was going to say debut through Moving Pictures but stretched it to through Grace Under Pressure.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

2112 ~ Roll The Bones
    After that period, the albums got too long with some unnecessary filler to be considered "classic era" imho.

13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Exactly this. IMO, it took Rush a little while to get off the ground and after Signals it was a very gradual decline although I like everything through Hold Your Fire.

14. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Fly by Night - Moving Pictures.

15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

2112 through Moving Pictures. Signals was a divisive release, at least among my circle of friends. I still enjoyed it, but to me that was the beginning of the synth-heavy Rush.

The band so gloriously killed that sound with Presto and Counterparts. Before that, I was like, "You have ALEX LIFESON in your band. Mix him louder! You're not A Flock Of Seagulls, despite Alex's hair."

Dan

marke and Old Rusty like this.
  16. Debut to Signals. Just last night I gave the 'Grace Under Pressure' LP a listen & that is clearly the point at which Rush lost their Lifeson. No Lifeson? No deal! A damn shame. No interest in their music until 'Feedback' which is a fine return to form IMHO.

17. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Objectively speaking, I'd consider this to be the correct answer, including All The World's A Stage, however...

Guess that makes me a maverick too because this is exactly how I voted! :wave:

In fact, I'm listening to the debut right now, and that thing seriously rocks! [​IMG]

A lot people feel the debut is too "Zeppelin-lite" which I think is overly dismissive, but understandable given that the band's signature prog sound hadn't quite been developed yet (a situation similar to that of Yes, whose first two albums typically are not considered part of their "classic period"). There are more traces of trademark Rush on the next two records, which may not be bona fide classics on the order of 2112 to the general public, but they are hardly slouches, and should be enjoyable to anyone who likes hard rock/heavy metal with a proggish flair to it.

Rush kind of loses me after Moving Pictures, but if your taste leans more toward synth-based sounds, then the 80's albums like Signals and beyond might be part of your "classic period" for the band. The bottom line is, as others have noted throughout this forum and elsewhere, you will find stellar musicianship in the entire Rush catalog. :righton:

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

People always say that first album sounds like Zeppelin, but Rush was far more influenced by Cream!

19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

From A Farewell to Kings through to Moving Pictures.

20. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think there are two periods that could be called 'classic':

1) S/T through Hemispheres
    2) Permanent Waves through Signals

To me, what I am calling #2 is their peak.

I like most of what came later, but wouldn't call it classic.

Holy Diver and marke like this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Debut-Signals.

Holy Diver and Scope J like this.
  22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

First Rush LP I bought was the recently-released 'All The World's A Stage'. From there I went back to '2112', then picked up those earlier releases in a three vinyl set.
    'Grace Under Pressure' was the last one I really liked. Those after felt like already-worn paths. Lost interest after that. Still go and see them when they tour, but I'm always waiting for the old stuff. A mate got me the first-album box-vinyl for my birthday. That was good to hear after such a long time.

23. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

All of them.

24. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

2112 - Signals...a great stretch of music.

25. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have just recently gotten into Rush so I don't have any nostalgia for any of the albums but love them all. In fact I can't even think of a song on an album that I don't like. Wish I could say that for all of my favorite artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.