Price watch - Bob Dylan and The Band Complete Basement Tapes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gottafeelin, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I want to buy it in a store, I don't care if it's cheaper.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

And thanks, MYKE!

The fact that they list it online seems encouraging that it will appear in stores.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not really George, they list a LOT of things that are only found on the website. Every album, CD, and Blu ray I've gone after for the last 2 years hasn't been in any store in this state !!!
    If you really prefer trying to pick up in person, I'd suggest an Independent dealer near you.

PhantomStranger and aoxomoxoa like this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Exactly what I was thinking. Support a music store instead of best buy.

5. Myke

If I just had to pick up in person here, Grimey's would be almost guaranteed to have it, while Best Buy would not. At all.

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Best Buy's website is also notorious for mislabeling what is actually in stock at any given time. They list items as in stock when they are not, and vice versa.

Myke likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

When Best Buy does sell the same product in store, is it the same price as online?

8. Myke

It was many years ago, but yes. I remember reading warnings of scratched discs in the then-new Roy Orbison box, due to shoddy packaging. After determining they had the best price, I ordered online, but chose pick up in person, where I opened the box at Customer Service, inspected the discs, then paid and left.
    Think that was 2008.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, MYKE, but that sounds like an online order. I meant if they sell the same set in store, will it match the online price?

10. Myke

I don't know, it's been so far in the past for me.

George P likes this.
  11. I would guess there is little chance that Best Buy carries it in their retail locations. A few stores in high-value areas might get a single copy. As someone suggested, this set will either have to be purchased over the Internet or from an independent music retailer.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Can someone please tell me if amazon will get this set to me by release day if I pre-order now and choose free shipping?

13. Myke

Highly doubtful, only Prime members seem to get our items on release day. Non Prime can wait up to what, a week at most ?

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, MYKE.

15. Myke

You're welcome George. I personally am rolling the dice on the $99.00 set at Collector's Choice, with the 25% off code. I know they use DHL, and it'll be slower than a turtle on Heroin, arriving here, but that's a great price, so that's what I'm going with.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

My first choice would be to find a local store where the lady behind the counter is named Mrs. Henry. Then I could say "please Mrs. Henry, Mrs. Henry please!"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    paulg61 and Myke like this.
  17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

They got my Zep CDs to me yesterday. That was faster than I expected.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask folks who are familiar with amazon's pricing for new releases to please tell me when they seem to make their last price drop? A few days before? A week before? A day before?

19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

For most of the recent big deluxe items that I've ordered from amazon.com this year there has been very little price movement from the initial listing and I don't think anything close to the release date. This includes Beatles Mono, Led Zep Super Deluxes, Beatles US CD Box. In fact, for all of those amazon.com didn't come close to having the lowest online pre-release price so for most I ended up canceling the order and going elsewhere (amazon.ca even!). I think there have been a few price drops in the week's after release, but that's not really an option for us now is it? :)

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Not for me. :)

Many thanks for the info! :wave:

21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Amazon.de delivery has been delayed to around the 15th. Do you think that estimation is based on the fact that it's coming overseas, or should I expect an even longer wait?

22. voles

voles Forum Lurker

I think that's the arrival date - mine has been delayed till 8-10th November (in the UK). The 8th is my birthday so I hope that sticks :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  23. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

If Amazon ships the box set tomorrow, to arrive by Tuesday as promised, I'll be relieved. If they do a final price drop, I'll be ecstatic, but at this point that probably won't happen. (At least they DID make it an AutoRip item once again.) But if they drop the ball on this one, they can say goodbye to me as a customer for anything other than cheap auto parts and ink cartridges.

I just looked at ImportCds, who are already shipping the Basement Tapes box, and their price is now $96 + S&H. What about that, Mr. Bezos?

24. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

The one positive to the Amazon.de delay is that it might allow me time to cash in on some release day deals....must....stay....positive....

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Guys, which of the online sellers consistently get you your pre-order on or before the release date of the item?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.