Boardwalk Empire on HBO (pt2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Well, at least this time Omar got done in by an adult...

2. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

:sigh:

artfromtex likes this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Nailed it...:laughup:

artfromtex likes this.
  4. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

I thought Doyle was going to make it also.

5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

That charming ditty Bugsy sings was an actual hit in 1931. Just search for Harry Roy and, um, another word for kitten.

Captain Groovy and artfromtex like this.
  6. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

I fell on the floor when Bugsy started beltin' that one out! :bdance:

7. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Bugsy is a great character. To bad he showed up so late in the series.

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

?? They introduced him at the beginning of the second season, and he's showed up now and then in each of the following seasons.

9. CusBlues

Thanks. I must have forgotten him. Maybe he isn't as good of a character after all.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Did he really? I couldn't remember if he had appeared in Boardwalk Empire or I was confusing it with of the recent show "Mob City".

11. CusBlues

I don't remember him, but I don't remember everything from the first 4 seasons.

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Stunning final season [NO SPOILERS].
    Loved how the story line flowed, back and forth, and explained the original relationships among the principal characters as well as advancing the contemporary narrative to its conclusion. Also loved the Norah Jones cover of the "If You Want the Rainbow, You Gotta Like the Rain.'
    Just superb.

13. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Very interesting- it's like Nucky's first evil act as a young man came back full circle to haunt him ( I won't go into more details )

Bill Hart, vinnie and stumpy like this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Looking forward to discussion on this because they lost me. I'll leave it at that for now.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I

Never mind. Had one of the characters mixed up with another. I get it.

16. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

What a great, great show.

The only thing I didn't like about it, was how they jumped ahead so far for this season. They EASILY could have kept it going for another three.

I don't know what I'll watch now! Boardwalk and Breaking Bad were my two favourite new series.
    I'm into 'Hell on Wheels' but the aformentioned are in a different league.

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think of Hell on Wheels as Deadwood on Wheels. Did you watch Deadwood?
    How about True Detective?
    Homeland, which lost its mojo, is totally kick-ass in season 4.
    To name a few suggestions.....
    It is a relatively newly recognized syndrome though- post-episodic TV series depression. There are variants, when the show isn't renewed, or when it goes on past its shelf life. Or when the ending is inexplicable. (Read: Lost).
    I think this show was just about right in that respect, and the last season didn't feel rushed; in fact, by being forced in some ways to compress everything into 8 remaining episodes, it took on an almost otherworldly quality- rather than just a literal narrative track, it had a dream-like quality and the constant flashbacks really fleshed out the characters, at least for me. (I also thought the casting choices of the younger versions of the characters were pretty spot on, particularly the Gretchen Mol character).

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think the last season felt rushed. (Though the Capone tangent could have been a bit better fleshed out), I meant they could have fit a few seasons in, instead of jumping ahead. My wife is interested in True Detective, so we might start on that. (I'll tackle DeadWood once HOW has finished I think) :)

19. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I certainly didn't see that ending coming. I'm not sure if I liked it; it seemed to lack convincing motivation.

20. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Well, when you do hit Deadwood, let us know how you like the Sweringen-Wu interaction over the missing dope. It's a classic.

Geoff, Rufus McDufus and agentalbert like this.
  21. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Great final season. I didn't really like the "jump ahead". But if they wanted to wrap up the historical aspects (Capone, Luciano, etc), and they had no more seasons, then they had to jump forward.

I don't know how to do the "spoiler" thing, so I will reserve comments for a day or two so people can catch up. DVRs are a wonderful thing.

22. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

And they would have to jump forward so the ending could occur

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, the Norah Jones cover was great. And I especially like how the Gillian/Commodore meeting called back to a scene from (maybe S2?) where she was doing a routine for him from the King Neptune parade. Anyone remember what episode that was? I want to re-watch that scene.

24. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't remember that scene, but the way this last season sort of pulled the story threads and characters together historically was far from contrived- I found it enriched the story, and made it more than just a series of interesting events happening to colorful characters- there was an underlying theme of 'what you do in life comes back to bite you in the ass' that was beautifully, tragically wrought- and everything, or almost everything came full circle. To me, this last season actually elevated the whole thing.

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I agree. Nothing contrived. Even the parting of Capone and his son was well done. And I didn't see that ending. More to the point, my wife, who invariably figures things out way early, didn't see it either. I guess it is nice to see a show that went out on top. Sopranos last season was a bit contrived, and don't get me started on Dexter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.