Venus & Mars Deluxe McCartney Archive

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Arnold Grove, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Tug of War - yes

Pipes of Peace - no

Chris from Chicago, Remy and Mazzy like this.
  2. Yeah because people lie about what they read on their card !?!?

3. gswan and Daniel Plainview like this.
  4. Or just stick them together in one deluxe set.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member Thread Starter

When my mental health is teetering on the balance with regard to these "Coming Soon" cards, I have to be cautious and take care. ;)

Arnie

Mazzy likes this.
  6. As long as the coming soon card doesn't say NEW is next. :tiphat:

daveidmarx and mrjinks like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Just 2 or 3 Beatles related threads.

I hope that it didn't bother anyone.

JimC, DmitriKaramazov and Mazzy like this.
  8. I may try this from now on.....

I hate Billy Joel and McCartney's NEW :tiphat:

9. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

It's not a problem at all. You put an amazing amount of work on that thread and it deserves to be advertised.

It's not like this message board is running out of room or anything.

warewolf95, JimC, mindgames and 3 others like this.
  10. downer

downer Senior Member

E

Exactl...
    WARNING!!! YOUR MESSAGE BOARD IS NOW FULL!!!
    PLEASE DELETE ALL IRRELEVANT CONTENT AND DUPLICATE POSTS!!!!

theMess likes this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

Maybe Pipes will have some good bonus material. If not I will sit that one out.

12. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident

The coming soon card wasn't in the advanced promo copies of the 2 cd 1 dvd sets which is a bit weird.

13. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

Flowers and Off The Ground already got the deluxe treatment shortly after their original release. I guess I can take 2016 off. I can't imagine (see what I did there) them adding anything to the bonus discs that already exist. Actually they may be too long for this series and will need to be edited.

14. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I'm with you. I bought it twice (vinyl and CD) - never again!

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Those cards are printed to perfection. They've discarded 1000s of them just because of the slightest of flaws. But now hopefully they are just right.

I guess that was the so-called "production issues" that caused the delays of these sets. ;)

Arnie

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Please... stop this madness.

JimC likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Which "madness"? We seem to have a lot of madness going on throughout this thread. Which particular one are you addressing?

;) Arnie

theMess and Chris from Chicago like this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

I think the madness in general was what Chris was referring to.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  19. Chris from Chicago

Yep. Just the indefinite impossible never ending wait.

When an album is supposed to be released, we're given a release date. Excitement and anxiety, aside, every time I get a new album is like Christmas for me. Even a remastered re-release. But with push back after push back, it's as if we're getting ****ed with.

20. Arnold Grove

Well, all I know is that Mark Lewisohn's next 2 Beatles books are scheduled for 2020 and 2028 --- so whatever waiting we're doing for these Archive sets is nothing compared to that. In fact, it's good training to get in shape for the long haul....

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  21. brettb33

brettb33 Forum Resident

Did I miss something? It's still coming out on the 4th, correct?

22. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Tug of War and Pipes of Piece - NO and NO. I've lost McCartney there.
    Earlier stuff - YES

sunking101 and Frank like this.
  23. Chris from Chicago

I think it is. At least, according to Amazon.com, it should be. But it's been pushed back before. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were pushed back again.

There's been a Tug of War is next thread. And I would love that. Probably by fave Paul album of the 80's. But I can't even begin to get excited about that one until this one is in hand.

Sorry guys, just getting frustrated.

24. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Call it the McCartney Compromise. Instead of a "Coming Soon" card and rather than no card at all, he should aim for a "Coming Eventually" card, listing all the other albums he seeks to re-release by the end of the program. Something for everyone and no timing promises to regret later on.

heatherly likes this.
  25. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

I can see truth in these statements. Paul H's overview also makes a lot of sense. The fact that Tug of War and Pipes of Peace evidently are next up to bat doesn't mean that the remaining Wings titles won't be released. We know that Laurence Juber participated in work toward a Back to the Egg rerelease -- so he said, and he has no reason to lie about it -- and Denny Laine has stated publicly his belief that all of the Wings titles will be reissued, not least based on the interviews he has given for them already and (hopefully/presumably) items from his personal archives he has loaned to MPL for that purpose. Why would they go to all the trouble if they had no intention of releasing them?

Beyond the fact that Tug and Pipes likely have more commercial potential (as Paul sees it) than the remaining Wings titles, perhaps he simply likes them better and has fonder memories of making them, thus he wants to see them through first. It's his prerogative. I can easily see that being the case.

I do strongly hope, though, that future releases will not go over just to an app format. Lots of people don't do apps and don't want to -- it would be an exclusionary approach to a re-release, and to a target market (older) that is less likely to buy in that format than they would purchase a hard copy. Plus, there is a warmth to holding the deluxe editions in your hand that no app ever can replicate. Why do away with that, especially if making a stash of cash on these reissues isn't the sole or even primary objective?

Let's also hope that if/when the "rarities" box(es?) show up, they won't contain a lot of stuff that collectors already have from existing underground releases. Given the often skimpy amount of extra material on most of the Archive Collection releases to date, in both quantity and scarcity, I'm fearful that we won't get a lot there that breaks truly new ground for the hardened fan/collector. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. But experience to date tells me to be wary and not to get my hopes up too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.