Iced Earth - Metal fans ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baron Von Talbot, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stealth

Stealth Forum Resident

My favorite Iced Earth album is Horror Show (It has 11 songs about different horror stories / horror characters.) Also Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle-Earth is an amazing album (Its about Lord Of The Rings.). Also try The Human Abstract - Nocturne (Or any of their other 2 albums!), and tell me what you think!

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Which album is their most "progressive?"

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I have everything by Iced Earth (all singles, all box sets, all albums, all DVDs - a new one is being released in a month.)

Most progressive is probably their last studio album: The Crucible Of Man: Something Wicked Part 2.

If you like Iced Earth, check out Jon Schaffer's other side project Sons Of Liberty - Brush-fires Of The Mind. If you can get by his right-wing "nut job" messages, the music is quite good.

Also, another band to check out is Jag Panzer. They are old school Heavy Power Metal, similar to Maiden, Judas Priest, and Iced Earth.

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all these tips. Guess I fo for Halford, Symphony X and more Iced Earth, then check out another Opeth album (I did not say I don't like them, just that the album I listened to had way too many Black Sabbath elements down to the track titles). Maybe I'll even give Helloween another try. They sounded like they had heard Paranoid one time too often (like most Metal bands..)
    Finally I even like Guns n Roses - it all depends how the music sounds on my Stereo bow and how this relates to my mood.

5. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

No shame in liking GNR.

What Opeth album have you heard?

6. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Indeed, Days of Purgatory was remixed with Matt Barlow`s vocals added on. Most fans prefer these versions. I do mostly, however John Greely on Night of the Stormrider gave a commendable performance on Stormrider making it worth hearing. In my view though Matt Barlow is the voice of Iced Earth, and one of the best singers in all of music. I think he is THAT good. He can do anything with unparalleled passion in his voice.

Something else to consider about the first three albums currently available (and the Dark Genesis box set mentioned on the previous page) is that they are remixed and remastered. In some cases vocals have been completely removed. IMO the originals are the ones to get, especially in Stormrider`s case. The original is just oozing a creepy atmosphere and sounds like a classic metal album. The remix sounds like a hybrid of new and old. They REALLY smoothed it over and added a lot of bass, killing the atmosphere of the original. Also, lead guitarist Randy Shaw is turned WAY down in the mix, which is blasphemy IMO as he was a huge part of the early sound. I strongly recommend you get an original copy. As for the debut, I really don`t know what to say. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. Original dull, remix loses the charm of the original etc. Try both if you are a fan. I don`t recall any major differences between the two CD's of Burnt Offerings, though I only heard the original once so maybe someone else can contribute there.

Lastly, The Dark Saga is an amazing little album that was originally written for that Spawn movie in the mid 90s (don`t worry, aside from being based off the same comic book they share no other similarities). The long jams of the early days are gone, but it is a very well written, tightly constructed listen at only 45 minutes. My personal favourite.

So, overall, if you like Iced Earth, do check out their other albums. Some will tell you they are derivative, but I`ll let you decide that for yourself.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  7. Baron Von Talbot

None, I mixed them up with a Sabbath clone with a goat on the cover..

ORCHID - CAPRICORN

More Sabbath influence is hard to find; not bad not good ( imo )

just look at the track names ...

01. Eyes Behind the Wall [7:14]
    02. Capricorn [4:40]
    03. Black Funeral [6:28]
    04. Masters of It All [6:38]
    05. Down into the Earth [6:25]
    06. He Who Walks Alone [6:49]
    07. Cosmonaut of Three [5:44]
    08. Electric Father [7:20]
    09. Albatross [5:57]

Attached Files:

8. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I love the Days of Purgatory 're-recordings' with Barlow on vocals.. possibly because I was introduced to the band through their Alive in Athens live release (which is fantastic, by the way). Looking back, I kind've wish Schaffer would've handed a few more songs on lead vocals as his voice on Stormrider's pretty strong for that style of metal.

Also, as someone else pointed out.. pay attention to which apressings you're getting with their back catalogue as the remasters are inferior in SQ.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  9. Ramesh Gill

Ramesh Gill Forum Resident

'Burnt Offerings' is superb, especially the epic "Dante's Inferno".

'Something Wicked This Way Comes' and their self-titled debut album are also first class.

Do check out their DVD "Alive In Atherns"...amazing how tight and accurate they played their complex material in a live setting.

Personally I rank Jon Schaffer as thrash metal's finest rhythm guitarist.

Jon's collaboration with Blind Guardian vocalist Hansi Kusch in their side project "Demons & Wizards" is great. The song "Fiddler On The Green" is the eeriest song I've ever heard, especially when you know the story behind it (see http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/37926/#73014629845).

If you get the Japanese CD release, it comes with a wickedly heavy version of the old Cream / Clapton classic "White Room" as a bonus track.

As for Opeth, I really want to like them, but simply cannot relate to them in any way whatsover...YMMV.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I initially had a hard time getting over the growling on Opeth. The lead singer does have a great voice when he sings "clean" vocals. Their musicianship is wonderful. I would try Blackwater Park or Still Life. If you don't like either I wouldn't go any further. They have a more acoustical clean vocaled album called Damnation. I'm not sure that is what you might be looking for either. It is good though.

11. Baron Von Talbot

Just yesterday I came across that WOLF album listed above and was pleasantly surprised, even delighted ! Great guitars, the usual drumming and decent vocals. Good songwriting as a plus. Not so diverse with all those acoustic interludes like Iced Earth but solid metal all the way !!
    Thanks for the tip Atari !

12. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

I love Iced Earth. Ripper is really awesome, but Barlow is the man! I think he's one of the finest singers ever.

A band that I enjoy listening to is Canada's Three Inches Of Blood. They have this classic metal sound, and two singers; a guy with growling vocals, and an old school vocalist. I'd check out their first two albums: Battlecry Under A Winter Sun, and Advance And Vanquish. They're hilarious at time in paying homage to old school stuff, but it's a lot of fun. I was lucky to catch their one show opening for Maiden back in 2006 I think.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  13. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

I've REALLY been getting back into Iced Earth lately. First heard their Horror Show and Glorious Burden albums. I decided to give their latest live release a listen Live In Ancient Kourion. Holy crap that guy can sing! It's their new lead singer Stu Block. He sings songs from 4 different lead singers plus his songs. Amazing album. So I dug into their back catalog. EVERYTHING is good. I have yet to be disappointed. The earlier stuff is more galloping/thrashy. The newer stuff is just flat out Power Metal. If you are looking for a metal band with 25+ years of musical consistency then this is your band (consistency in their sound, not their lineup).

14. silver.bullet

silver.bullet Forum Resident

I wanted to say "yes dear?" but i think i'm too late. :)

+1 on Horror Show, amazing album. Since you liked acoustic passages, you'll love Dracula. This one is live though:

Barlow is the man. Also, +1 on the Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Amazing album.

15. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Well, you can't go wrong with Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes. It's downright criminal that this band is not bigger. I guess line up changes will do that.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  16. old school

old school Senior Member

Opeth does not sound anything like Black Sabbath! You must be new to Metal. You're way off target with that.

17. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

Night of the Stormrider is a metal classic.

abbeyroad2 likes this.
  18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

I've really enjoyed the new Opeth album. A very interesting album.

I also recommend Graveyard's Light's Out.

I like lots of old school metal and hard rock. Some grunge, but...lots of modern metal is not for me.

19. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

I figure if Iced Earth would've come out 5 years earlier they would be a household name by now. Their big break came when hair metal was at it's peak and grunge would soon be taking over. Bad time to be a metal band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.