Remastered Led Zepplin IV Vinyl - Is anyone planning to buy it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cosmo_Kramer, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Don't the girls get upset when you have to keep jumping up to flip the record? :D

johnny q likes this.
  2. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Got the new issue early. I'm no expert on LZ vinyl, but the drums jump out of the grooves in a way I've never heard on the CDs.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and HAmmer like this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Better, or quieter? I agree any worn used record will sound noisy, but in reality there's plenty out there in between crappy and pristine. I've seen affordable clean copies of all the Zeppelin albums - being 40 years old has nothing against them.

4. I think think these sound just about as good as originals. Yes originals have a slight edge but a perfect original if you can find one would costs over $50 and II much much more. Especially an RL. The first three reissues sound better than my old ones except for my Classics II

5. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Affordable in what regard? Most original pressings round these parts that are in even in remotely decent shape (and even some that aren't) are running nearly what the standard single album remasters can be had for. If I have the choice between a scuffed up non mint jacket and vinyl, versus a pristine new copy for roughly the same price, I'm likely going new copy every time.

I get where you were coming from in your first post, and initially, I felt somewhat the same. (Especially in regards to the bonus material).) Yet that was before I actually heard the remasters. My friend got the first three, and we compared them to my originals, and I was duly impressed enough to reinvest in them, myself.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agree that it's pretty tough in my neck of the woods to find truly clean copies of the original albums at a decent price. I was very impressed with the new pressing of III, and plan to pick up Zoso and Houses just to have nice new clean copies of those albums while I continue the hunt for the perfect original pressing.

7. George Blair

I'm glad these are satisfying to people. I bought III when it came out, fully expecting to like it. It was detailed, it was very clean, the cover was nice, but I had no reason to keep it because my Broadway original "do what thou wilt" Monarch pressing had what the reissue didn't have, namely pure analog magic. My original is not hard to find and may cost as much as the brand new one. It's a personal choice.

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I didn't buy the new reissue of the first album, because I have an early U.S. pressing of that album with pure analog magic. It also has a lot of snap, crackle, and pop. I can ignore that and focus on the magic and the music, but, based on my new copy of III, these new pressings are a great option for people who want to get 90% or more of the way to the magic of the originals, without dealing with the never-ending quest for a perfect clean original pressing.

Rocketdog and George Blair like this.
  9. Cosmo_Kramer

Cosmo_Kramer Member Thread Starter

Can you try to describe the "analog magic"?

10. It t
    It takes more than "pure analog magic". I have 2 Porky/Pecko and 1 80s Canadian reissue and I am still waiting for the magic. I believe in "pure mastering magic". I'm hoping the new one will have a bit more bottom end and punch.

11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was listening to an old Zeppelin IV record on somebody elses turntable,and it did sound awfully flat.Suddenly I`m really looking forward to these new reissues again.I was kind of grumpy and tired a week or so ago and lost interest.Now I`m actually hyped up especially for the companion records.So sure,I`ll be buying the 2 disc editions of both the vinyl and cds.I hope I`m not too busy to get in plenty of listening time next week.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Whether you buy it or not, its nice to have them in print again.

13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Definitely in for IV, and hope it sounds a lot better than my 'Strawberry' pressing...
    (Still undecided on 'Houses..' as I have a nice RL)..

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I've got one coming on Tue. This is one of those bands where I just don't care enough to invest the kind of jack and trial+error it takes to get a listenably clean real copy. I always prefer original pressings to reissues, but in this instance the remaster is, as a friend used to say, "good enough for who it's for."

15. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Nope. Love my clean Pecko/Porky Monarch IV and adore the RL HOTH too much.

16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

After listening to my relatively clean Porky/Pecko cut last night, I have to say, I'll probably skip the digitally remastered vinyl and get the cd....

17. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Strawberry mastering...not something I generally care for. Too often their records sounded mushy and murky, seriously lacking dynamics.

18. blind_melon1

Nailed it! Hahah, I've got Classic's for I-III but still angry at myself for not getting IV!

19. George Blair

Sure. I can't speak for anyone else's playback, but on my moderate system it's something I've come to recognize. First, I should say the re-issue of Led Zeppelin III that I had sounded fine, there was nothing wrong with it. However, I felt that I was hearing a perfect copy of the music, with plenty of detail - much like a good CD would sound. If I had never owned an original early pressing, I wouldn't suspect anything was missing. Yet when playing the original back to back with the reissue, it was clear that the original had more drama, more air in the room, more space between what was happening in the music that just made it feel real. I'm not saying it was all warm and fuzzy vs. cold and clinical - that's not exactly it. The original vinyl sounded exciting, while the reissue sounded precise. That's the best way I can explain it without an actual demonstration. But even if you were to hear both as I did, you may still prefer the reissue! I'm just speaking for myself really.

dkmonroe, ledsox and zbase like this.
  20. Cosmo_Kramer

Very interesting. I know what you mean on certain vinyl, but I find it to be rather hit or miss, all depending on the pressing and recordings.

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

My single disc IV and HOTH are due to arrive tomorrow. The extra discs are underwhelming, to say the least.

22. Cosmo_Kramer

Any more comparisons to the original pressings? I bought a Pecko/Pecko Duck Monarch pressing and I am wanting to know what the difference in sound will be to the remastered edition.

23. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I'v got Classics I & II and I've wished ever since I'd gone for the box set.:shake:

blind_melon1 likes this.
  24. blind_melon1

That box set is a thing of beauty! I thought about buying it upon release, but the shipping to Australia was ridiculous! In hindsight, I wish I bought it too!

25. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Gonna be hard to beat the Ludwig mastering of HOTH isnt it? Curious to hear from anyone who got the hi-res downloads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.