FISHER all-tube receivers from 1961-66 are cheap and sound wonderful!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 27, 2010.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

To me, they look like they mean business! Heavy steel case all around (with textured vinyl covering), and a very basic, no nonsense control layout.

I bought these two items (at the Laney College flea market) long before I knew that you were supposed to power up old tube gear with a variac first, and just plugged 'em in and fired up the tubes. Everything worked perfectly, the pots weren't even scratchy! Who knows how many decades they sat dormant? I used the 1448 daily for over a decade and it was 100% stock. It finally started hissing in one channel, and then I wised up and got it properly serviced, and now it sounds really sweet.

The 1448 is the heart of my all-vintage living room system, combined with an Acoustic Research AR-TX turntable (early AR-XA) and a pair of KLH Sixes that I restored. Lots of fun.

sberger likes this.
  2. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Well, now I have one to give company to my Pilot sm245a. It was refurbished by Blackie Pagano in NYC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. action pact

Weren't you selling that on AudioKarma? Did you change your mind?

4. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Yea...changed my mind....sounds too good, and once I am done with the missing switch
    It will look great as well.....

5. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nice shape and it sounds ?

6. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Sound is typical 7591 but solid. It has SS rectification. This unit has very little mellowness to betray its vintage. all 12AX7's are TFK, the output are RCA.

7. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Sweet warm sounds ......

8. action pact

Smart move. :righton:

I'm still completely loving the 400 you sold me last year, especially after I had Audiodon go through it and add some of his special upgrades, including upgrading the phono stage and installing audiophile-quality caps. It has no hum or hiss, even when cranked.

9. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Omg of course he is, given he is married to a supermodel.

On a serious note Steve, I think this my favorite and most interesting thread I've read since I've started reading and posting on this forum.

Off to go kayaking.

If anyone is inside and it's beautiful where you are like here in sunny Reston, get your lazy **** outside and get some fresh air.

10. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Yeah..I will definitely get the phono section upgraded as well...

action pact likes this.
  11. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Hear Hear! Rescued a 500B about 5 years ago. I brought it back to life with a little help from Al Pugliese - "The Fisher Doctor". Recapped and installed NOS 7591's (didn't like the JJ's), a pair of Genelex Gold Lion 12AX7's in the phono output and JJ's for the rest. The tuning beam looks great. Love sitting in the dark seeing the illuminated dial face and the Fisher logo. Absolutely wonderful sound and now the focal point in my second system of vintage equipment. Still need to build a cabinet though.

12. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Listening to Stanley Turrentine and Shirley Scott on my 800C right now. Klipsch Forte's.

W-O-W

13. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

I run a 400B which I had re-capped and NOS 7591's. The phono stage is re-tubed with new Genelex 12AX7's (started off with JJ's but the Genelex were so much better) and JJ's the rest. Use my own heavily modified Thorens TD160 which I pressed into service from storage and switch between a pair of AR 2ax's and Castle Edens for speakers. In the spirit of the original DIY of the early 60's I've made my own speaker cables based on the Absolute Sounds article on using Home Depot 18 AWG outdoor chord. Lovely sound and listen to it every night.

I must admit. I'm really tempted to throw in some Harbeth speakers to see how much I can squeeze out of this rig.

14. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

My fat fingers,:realmad: should be 500B! Still sounds great.
    W

15. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Nothing compliments vintage tube componenents,like a pair of Klipsch.Even my lowly Hereseys sound great.

16. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Not so lowly now, a new pair of Heresy III's runs $1700 Klipsch makes them on-order now.
    I paid $1400 for a pair of 1988 Klipschorns a few years ago. poor guy, the new wife said they had to go.

17. action pact

I think you will be surprised. My Fisher 400 sounds exceptional with my KEF LS50's.

18. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

My newly rebuilt 400 in my nearfield office system is blowing my mind.

19. action pact

As it rightly should!

:edthumbs:

20. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

yep, it put my Rogue Cronus back in the box.

21. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

They not only sound great, they look great as well! I love looking at that dial glass in a dark room.

22. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

I've owned several Fisher tube receivers. I have held on to my Kx-200 although it needs some fresh guts. The Fisher rig I also love sonically is my TX-300, which is their earliest solid state rig. Good sound is good sound.

nm_west likes this.
  23. ehtoo

ehtoo Forum Resident

Now there's something to consider and the KEF's come in considerably less $$$$. All the reviewers have had only good things to say about the speaker.

action pact likes this.
  24. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

My early 80s vintage Hereseys were $75 on Craigslist two years ago.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Of course my 400 sounds great with the Klipsch Cornwalls, but I got a big surprise today when they were paired up with my KLH 6's. Thought they would've needed more power than the 28 watts of the 400 but they are a great match! Fantastic dynamics and plenty of headroom.

Tomorrow I'll give the Dynaco A25's a turn.