Does anyone here have an all-Rega system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jay F, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Of whatever components. Whatever age.

I'm thinking of getting a Rega integrated and speakers, but my Rega dealer doesn't carry the speakers, so I can't hear the whole thing together here in Pittsburgh.

I was just wondering how you like it, sound quality-wise.

2. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member

As a Rega dealer, I'm amazed that other dealers don't carry the entire line. It is such a no brainer and easy sale. I think they don't want to squash the possible sale of more expensive systems. I recommend the R5. It's my best selling speaker and mates well with any Rega amp. Using an ALL Rega system will amaze you. I'm a big proponent of system synergy and an all Rega system sings. No need to waste time and money finding the "right" cables. I use Chord with great success.

Ntotrar, mikeyt and bhazen like this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It's very good. I have an almost all Rega system at home. I change things from time to time as you might imagine but I have had this set-up for a while now, maybe six months anyway:

Dynavector 19aMkII LOMC cartridge
    Rega P5 turntable with TT-PSU
    Rega Cursa 3 preamp with MC phono section
    Rega Exon 3 monoblock amplifiers
    Tannoy Eyris DC3 loudspeakers

Other stuff connected are a Cambridge Audio DVD player, Samsung Plasma TV, DirecTV satellite receiver, old Denon analog tuner (never used).

I have a couple of "All Rega, all the time" systems at my store and they do sound very good. I also spinkle their front end devices into other systems as do most other dealers.

I can understand why a lot of dealers don't carry the Rega speakers. It's not that they are bad, quite the opposite really. They can be bad for the bottom line of a store if they confuse a customer who came in to buy a pair of a more popular line that they carry. The Rega speakers are very clear and uncolored other than that they can be a little lean or bright in some settings. In most cases, they work really well with Rega electronics as they are a little on the warm side, especially when used with the turntables as the source. It is why a lot of people are so impressed with their CD players as they sound very warm and analog. The speakers tend to balance this out, bring forward all of the resolution offered, and create precise imaging and powerful dynamics. The Linn line is very similar in this regard, only at a much higher price point. I almost bought a pair of the Rega R7 speakers for one of my home systems listed above but I had a customer buy a large set of Tannoys and trade-in the ones that I have there now that same week. It didn't make sense for me to order in new speakers when I had an extra set taking up space here. The bass response of the R7 and R9 are extremely accurate with no bloat at all. The transmission line design works very well to help it roll off naturally without peaks but it is a very costly system to implement and so the R5 remains the last of the really "affordable" Rega speakers with the larger sets being reserved for the more well heeled or most discriminating listeners who won't except less. I think the R1 bookshelf speakers are one of the best values in an affordable and compact monitor available. They also look great in their real wood veneers. I just sold a tube integrated amp to a customer who asked about speakers and I recommended the R1 as a very good sounding, easy to drive speaker which mates very well with lower powered tube amps at a very good price. He called back a week later to say that he had received his tube amp and was loving the sound of it through his new Rega R1 speakers! So he is very happy with them too. He found that they sounded great without his sub connected and was wondering whether he should even use it or not. I walked him through the best way to connect it and suggested he give it a try. No other way to find out really and it didn't cost him a thing.
    -Bill

Ntotrar and sushimaster like this.
  4. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

Yep, I have an all Rega kit and absolutely love the results. Here's my system:

1. Rega Mira 3 integrated amp

2. P3 turntable w/Super Elys cartridge and a blue felt mat

3. Planet 2000 cd player

4. Rega R5 floorstander speakers

5. Ear headphone amp.

As an added note, I use Chord Cobra inter-connects. I purchased my gear from Overture Audio in Ann Arbor. Keith has a great hi-fi shop!

:goodie:

5. B-Diddy

B-Diddy Member

Overture are good guys! Tj rules. Sounds like you didn't get duped. Enjoy the music and leave the neurosis to the neurotics.

B

6. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

If Rega makes its speakers in the UK, they have to be among the least expensive British made speakers.

Ntotrar likes this.
  7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

For awhile I had Planet CDP, Brio amp, and Jura speakers.

That system rocked. Rega is great value, and all a "budget" audiophile really needs. Apollo, Brio, R5's would sort of be the current equivalent, and unbelieveably communicative of the music played. All for "merely" $2,500 or so (maybe less, Bill/Brian?) The one thing I'd advise is that Rega speakers really need to be mated with "warmer" sounding kit like, er, Rega. It's my dilettante's opinion that they're a bit "lively", and will highlight any upstream brightness or harshness. But in a Rega system - instant party, fast bass, massive grip and presence.

Later I got seduced into the Naim cult, but that's for a different thread...;)

Ntotrar likes this.
  8. coopmv

You can buy any Rega products over the web. But I bet Naim would not allow its products to be sold over the web.

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

You may be right; however, forgive me for going into my usual diatribe: please folks, shop your local, bricks 'n' mortar shop which carries quality hi-fi. They will prove invaluable to you in setup assistance, trades, general knowledge in making the most of your music playback. If the Web wins out as the main sales source for hi-fi, we're all on our own. Plus, I won't have a fun place to hang on rainy Sunday afternoons.*:D

*"Oh please please can I hear the Saturn through Brio and R7's?" etc.

Ntotrar likes this.
  10. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

To my knowledge, you can only purchase the Rega P1 turntable and glass platter upgrades over the web. Other products by them show up on web sites such as Music Direct, etc., however, there will be disclaimers, noting local purchases only.

Bottom line, overall Rega wants their products sold and serviced through their authorized dealers. What a concept, make great quality products in the UK, price them fairly, and offer them for sale through brick and morter shops.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That is exactly right. Rega products have never been authorized by mail in the US. Although you will see the products listed in catalogs and on websites, any authorized Rega dealer will not sell a product if you have a local authorized dealer. If you live in Back Creek Arkansas, then you can find a dealer who will mail you product with the blessing of Rega. You can always find out who your nearest authorized dealer is by calling the importer. I help customers with that as well when they contact me from out of state. I found a local dealer for one guy about 10 miles from his house not too long ago.

It is so important for the industry as a whole to survive that customers support their local businesses. In fact it is important for the economy of the nation as a whole. I always try to shop locally first. It helps keep money in the community and that helps the community. Of course there are times when I can't do that when I want something unique. Not every town will be near a Rega dealer or other high end brand.
    -Bill

bhazen likes this.
  12. coopmv

Bottomline, Rega makes great products at reasonable prices and it makes its products with pride in the UK.

Ntotrar and bhazen like this.
  13. roole

roole Forum Resident

My system:

Rega P3 turntable with Elys 2 cartridge;
    Regap Brio integrated amplifier
    Rega Apollo CD player

Rest comes from Audio Note:

Audio Note AZ 3 speakers
    AN-D speaker cables
    AN-A interconnects

All in all sounds very good. Very detailed.

bhazen likes this.
  14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

15. coopmv

I think a Rega amp with its moderate power is great for an apartment ...

16. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

My how things have changed. You can buy nearly any Rega product any time online now.

17. coopmv

Not only Rega, you can also buy Krell online, though Mac and Audio Research are still only available through dealers ...

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My personal stereo: Rega RP6, Apollo R, Brio R, Dac and RS3. Cables are Kimber: PBJ and 8TC and Canare: LV-61s for digital.

ncblue and bhazen like this.
  19. coopmv

You are definitely the Mr. Rega. I still enjoy my Planet 2000, the first and only Rega product I own. Rega deserves a lot of credit for keeping all its manufacturing in the UK.

Ntotrar likes this.
  20. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

And for Mac one of those dealers is Best Buy.

21. coopmv

When did Best Buy start selling Mac online?

This is gonna to upset all brick and mortar dealers big-time ... :righton::agree:

22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Rega is a company for the people. Real world prices, tremendous performance, nothing funky or garish in their designs and made in the UK. A real value. Can't beat it.

bhazen and Ntotrar like this.
  23. coopmv

:righton: Designed in the UK and built in the UK, end of the story and that is what I like about the company. Unfortunately, it does not make any SACD player. It is clear if I add a late model outboard DAC, my Planet 2000 will sound like a new CDP ...

btf1980 likes this.
  24. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Pics of the all Rega setup with Mira 3, Apollo, P3-24 and R5's. Later added Saturn and P5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still working out the stand/rack thing. Just ordered the Rega TT wall mount.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.