Best Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy on Vinyl*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jcmusic, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I have finally purchased the Porky/Pecko cut of HOTH but I am still waiting for its arrival. I have already listened to both 1st US and UK RL pressings which are stellar so I'll see how they stand. I am a big fan of the Peckman sound as well so I am very excited for a showdown.

2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Hmmm. I'll have to check at my parents' house to see if I kept the CRC version. I know I purchased a used copy back in the '90s, but I can't remember if I ditched the CRC version. Just need to get around to getting a turntable to actually play them on!

3. Just wanted to share my latest acquisition here: A 1977 pressing of "Houses Of The Holy" with the "Sterling RL" imprint on deadwax and manufactured at Monarch Record Mfg. Co., Los Angeles, CA. Houses 01.jpg Houses 02.jpg Houses 03.jpg Houses 04.jpg

MGM and marcfeld69 like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine's a Sterling RL both sides, RI, bought by me, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. :laugh:

ellingtonic likes this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, my gawd.......:laugh::biglaugh::laughup::faint:

hi_watt likes this.
  6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Just curious, where do you get the 1977 date from?

MGM likes this.
  7. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Did you compare the "Porky" with your "RL's"? How did you rate it? For me, the Porky is the best sounding Vinyl version. Not as much bass depth as the RL but everything just leaps out at you, its more revealing with more impact.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

my "rl" on both sides isn't very clean but it plays like it is, kind of mind blowing for a $2 record how good it sounded despite my low expectations. It was meant to be a starter copy but I don't have any intentions of seeking out another copy soon, I'd recommend it without having anything else to compare it to (all my friends have the same cut)

9. DJStatic

DJStatic New Member

here is the matrix from my HOTH. what does the "eee-1" tell me?

st-a-732783-eee-1 STERLING RL

10. Leonard Gomez

Leonard Gomez Well-Known Member

I like the UK RL pressing. I would want to hear the Classic or a Japanese pressing though

11. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I have a US RL Monarch, UK RL and UK Porky/Pecko and very happy with each one. I would like to know if anyone has compared the three pressings I mentioned with a German or Japanese pressing.

12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

the best vinyl is the 45rpm from classic in the road box....good luck findng it but that is the answer to the thread question

marcfeld69 likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have two different copies of HOTH. One was cut by George Piros and the other by Robert Ludwig. Both copies were pressed by Monarch. In my opinion and also my listening ears, both are excellent choices. I haven't yet heard the Ludwig mastering of LZ II, but the George Piros version is awesome. All of my Monarch pressings are fantastic. I couln't find a bad one in the batch and I have around 60 different titles and artists.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  14. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I now have 3 RLs, doing a shootout between all of them.
    1. My original beat-up double RL 1841 Broadway, -RI
    2. My dad's cleaner double RL 75 Rockefeller, -RI, B and D sides with roman numerals, I and IIII respectively on each side.
    3. A VG++ double RL Monarch with paper inner instead of cardstock and 38 on one deadwax with 39 on the other. 75 Rockefeller label. Thinking this is a much later pressing.

They seem to be all about the same...1 and 2 are near equal with the slight edge going to 1, and I just can't shake the feeling that the Monarch seems a tiny bit subdued compared to the other two. Why do I have to prefer the noisy one? ;) Has anyone noticed a real difference between 1841 and Rockefeller label copies? I love this mastering regardless.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  15. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Just looking for a place to post this...I recently got what must be a later German pressing of HOTH, but with Sterling/RL on both sides. It has A1/B1 matrices, but also has WEA stamped in deadwax. It has the thick printed inner sleeve. Vinyl is extremely quiet, and the sound is a knockout! I never knew this album sounded this good. I don't think I'll be buying the reissue...

dee, ODShowtime and marcfeld69 like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have this pressing as well. Glossy cover, right? Much, much better vinyl than the US Sterling RL pressing I have (I've been recommending this pressing for years for anyone wanting free advice).

But what makes you think it "must be a later German pressing"? If anything, I'd think a later pressing wouldn't have the heavy inner sleeve.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

18. zbase

zbase Forum Resident

I have an SD 19130 Rockafeller with ST-A-732783-EEE-l STERLING RL/ ST-A-732784-DDD-l-lllll STERLING RL in the deadwax. It was one of the keepers from a purge a while back (thankfully!).

Sean and marcfeld69 like this.
  19. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Yes, glossy cover. I thought the "WEA" in the dead wax indicated "Warner Bros," which would make it later. But I admit I could be totally wrong about that. I agree about the cover -- I thought it was odd that the cover was so deluxe and the inner sleeve heavy, which would seem more in line with a first pressing. ???

20. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I'm partial to my side-1 "RL" and side-2 "GP" hybrid. Piros does "No Quarter" better.

I'd be interested if anyone else has come across this hybrid.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I hadn't thought of that. However...

WEA is Warner Elektra Altlantic. Others can undoubtedly explain it better, but after Warner Communications bought Atlantic (in the late 60s, I believe) and Elektra (shortly after Atlantic was purchased), WEA was formed as a label conglomerate and distribution subsidiary of Warner Communications in the early 70s -- before HOTH's release in '73 I'm pretty sure.

dee and GreatTone like this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

I have that one right next to my RL/RL copy on the shelf. I tend to agree with your assessment.

23. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I've just noticed that my RL on both sides (it also has AT in the matrices) says it's a Record Club of America recording (in tiny print). Where does that place it in the pantheon of good bad and bad masters/LP versions? I only just got it so yet to listen but it's in very good condition.

Side 1 label has SD 7255 (ST-A-732783 PR)
    Side 2 label SD 7255 (ST-A-732784 PR)

MFG. BY ATLANTIC RECORDING CORP., 1841 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, N.Y around the rim of the table

Side 1 matrix
    6 o'clock: PR upside down
    3 o'clock: STERLING (stamped) RL
    11 o'clock: ST-A-732783-C
    8 o'clock: AT

Side 2 matrix
    6 o'clock: STERLING (stamped) RL, PR nearby upside down
    11 o'clock: ST-A-732783 PR
    8 o'clock: AT

(Can anyone also tell me what the function of record club recordings is; are they any more or less valuable or different in mastering etc?)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  24. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Mine is the opposite of that: at/go side one, RL Sterling side two. I think both sides sound fantastic. I don't need an upgrade or second copy, but if people love the new lp, I may have to pick it up ...