Audio Technica at150mlx question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mikey679, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, I have been using an AT440MLa for a while now and the suspension has dipped to the point that on certain LP's the cartridge will just scrape the top of the LP and cause a bumping noise. It's usually more at the beginning of a side and it doesn't skip or anything but it's enough to cause some distracting noise, I have been looking into upgrading to an AT150mlx but was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the suspension on those? I know the 440MLa's issues have been discussed here and I figured it would happen at some point but I don't want to drop the cash on the 150mlx if the same thing is going to happen.

2. I've had my AT-150MLX for almost a year and it has performed flawlessly.

Mikey679 likes this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I made the same upgrade (440 - 150) and have never looked back. I suspect the 150mlx has better and stiffer suspension, but have no facts to back it up. I do know that after about six months this cart is sounding incredible, and well worth the price.

Mikey679 likes this.
  4. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Well over a year with my AT-150MLX and no problems whatsoever. Make sure your phono stage and interconnects have low capacitance, though.

Mikey679 likes this.
  5. Mikey679

Thank you for all the quick replies! I know the MLX has a good reputation around here and sounds like a worthy upgrade to the 440MLa(which is no slouch, especially when loaded down to around 33k.)

6. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

Inside the 440 stylus there's a tiny screw (sealed with lacquer) right behind the suspension. Maybe you can try "re-arming" the cantilever downwards before discarding the stylus.

7. Mikey679

Would that "re-arming" just be tightening that little screw? Haven't really messed around with one before, wouldn't mind trying it, though. Is this something you have done before with success, Antares?

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

This is not any difficult procedure, but what one has to do is to loosen the screw, slightly press the suspension rubber inwards while keeping the position of the needle, and then tighten the screw. The first time one is doing this it might need some trials, but it´s not very difficult, I have done this with many ATs.

Antares likes this.
  9. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

No I haven't, but I would try it if in your situation. I would slightly loosen it and push down the cantilever a bit before re-tightening and see if it holds. Not much tighter than originally, I think this screw affects compliance as well.

I've been using my 440 for about a year now. It seems to sit a bit lower than other models in the range that I have, but has been stable so far. Fingers crossed I guess.

10. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

The suspension on mine (150MLX) wore out. I might get a fresh stylus for it. I went with the lighter, but more flat footed, 440MLa as a better match with my arm.

11. Mikey679

Thanks again for the replies, I might take a shot at fixing that suspension but I'm still looking at the upgrade to the 150mlx, with so many good reviews, it's hard to pass up.

motorcitydave likes this.
  12. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Well, all I can say is if you like the 440mla, you'll love the 150MLX. Get it from a reputable dealer with a good return policy and free shipping like turntableneedles.com.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/AT150MLX-Audio-Technica_p_3806.html

Mikey679 likes this.
  13. Mikey679

You were certainly one guy who I've seen touting the 150mlx for a while, I've read through your threads and figured it's the best step up from the 440mla, how long have you had the 150mlx for? Seems like you haven't felt the need to upgrade? Which is what I'm hoping for.

motorcitydave likes this.
  14. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

December 4th will be one year with the AT150MLX. One of the best audio investments I ever made.

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

If you like the A-T sound it's the best step up. I've had it for at least 7-8 years. I'm very content with it. Keep in mind that the stylus replacements are not cheap with the 150MLX (around $200,) which is the main reason why I haven't had the itch to upgrade. Speaking of which, I'm due for one, as I haven't replaced it for over 2 years! lol.

Wally Swift and Mikey679 like this.
  16. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I have a question about the AT 150MLX. I purchased a Technics SL-1200 MKII that had no cartridge. I am thinking about supplying it with the 150MLX. Sounds good so far, right? Now for the headshell...
    I am seeing people recommending a cherry wood headshell, which can be had for 40 bucks. That headshell weighs in at 9 grams. The weight of the cart is 8.3 grams, bringing the total weight to 17.3 grams. In the owner's manual for the SL-1200 MKII, the "applicable cartridge weight range (with headshell) tops out at 17.5 grams. In other words, it's appears I would be pushing the envelope as far as maximum recommended weight goes. Should I just use the conventional headshell instead, which is around 7.3 grams? I wanted to take advantage dampening qualities the wood headshell offers. Comments and/or suggestions appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.