Golden Age Of Italian Progressive Rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It was the first album I heard from them. Very good. I like Uomo Di Pezza much

old school likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member Thread Starter

Le Orme live at Progfest 1997 I was lucky enough to be there what a awesome concert!

3. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Great thread! The Italians created (and continue to create) a massive body of awe inspiring progressive rock. If only it was better known world wide...

old school likes this.
  4. old school

Le Orme's Collage is one of the first Progressive albums to come out of Italy in 1971.

PH416156 and danielbravo like this.
  5. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I have that! And it is quite interesting though little refined compared to others of their albums. I heard for the first time in school, there had been a collection of disks for the curious. It was another source of knowledge for me.

old school likes this.
  6. old school

Alberto Radius (guitar, vocals)
    Gabriele Lorenzi (keyboards, vocals)
    Tony Cicco (drums, vocals)

In the third album, Sognando e risognando from 1972, the band included some original compositions, along with the usual Mogol-Battisti tracks, and the result is probably their best work ever. The best track here was a 10:30 minutes long version of the title track (a song already recorded by Lucio Battisti), but even the Aeternum suite is noteworthy.

PH416156 likes this.
  7. old school

Massimo Morante (guitar, vocals)
    Claudio Simonetti (keyboards)
    Fabio Pignatelli (bass)
    Walter Martino (drums, percussion)

1975-1978
    Martino replaced by:
    Agostino Marangolo (drums)
    Maurizio Guarini (keyboards
    A peculiar group in the Italian progressive scene, Goblin had their record debut in 1975, when that musical style was having its downfall, building their long career on mostrly instrumental albums composed as soundtracks to horror films and promoted with very few limited exhibitions. Despite their singularity, the group had until today a huge following in Italy, where their name has always been strictly associated to the Dario Argento horror films' soundtracks they've played on, as well as abroad. Second album was Roller, featuring new members Marangolo (from Flea) and Guarini. Not intended to be a soundtrack, this album was a good one, very similar to the previous one and developing the band's style.

Scope J and PH416156 like this.
  8. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Not probably. Is.

izgoblin likes this.
  9. old school

This genre is incredible in Italy today it is still going maybe not as strong like in the early 70s but still going. If I turned someone on to this music then this thread was a success. I know it is hard because of the language but don't let that hold you back from some of the greatest music ever recorded! Viva Italia.

granata and Stefano G. like this.
  10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Man, I love Italian prog. I'm familiar with 95% in the discussion. It's still a pretty fertile scene in Italy with all those wonderful Fabio Zuffanti projects. I was lucky enough to see PFM twice, Banco twice, Le Orme twice, Il Balletto Di Bronzo once, Metamorfosi once and probably a few others I'm forgetting thanks to some prog rock festivals. My second PFM show was easily in my top ten of all time concerts. My God, what a show. Thanks to Old School for starting this thread!

PH416156, Stefano G. and old school like this.
  11. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

From Uomo Di Pezza album, Le Orme...Aspettando L'alba

PH416156 likes this.
  12. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

Thank you, my friend, really thank you.

Currently, here in Italy we have some prog-rock bands. that deserve to be taken into account; but certainly the golden age has passed away many years ago; however, among the existing groups, I personally like a lot Il Bacio della Medusa, expecially with their album "Discesa agl'inferi d'un giovane amante"

...and the band "La Maschera di Cera" with the album "Le Porte del Domani" that was composed as if it were a sequel of the album "Felona e Sorona" by Le Orme (even the cover is very similar ...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcYonVdWhac

old school and PH416156 like this.
  13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I definitely want to explore this dimension of progressive rock and know very little about it.

What I DO know is that this is a very intriguing and original title for a thread: Golden Age Of Italian Progressive Rock.

old school likes this.
  14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

16. old school

I am glad you brought up these bands and I will do a part II Retro Prog in Italy. Thank You for liking this my friend.

PH416156 and Stefano G. like this.
  17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned Apoteosi, from Calabria? They did a really good one-off album in 1975, with female vocals to boot (not that common in Italian prog).

webbcity likes this.
  18. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Great band...always loved that album, it was one of my first Italian prog discoveries so it holds a special place for me.

19. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

20. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident

This one and Zarathustra by Museo Rosenbach... wow! Thank you old school.

EVOLVIST and old school like this.
  21. old school

I'm glad there is still enthusiasm for Italian Progressive rock! Thanks dphilippov.
    This was a labor of love for me!

dphilippov likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Spoken like a true prog Masterman! ;)

old school likes this.
  23. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Wow thanks for this thread, always wanted to check this out but never new where to start!

old school and EVOLVIST like this.
    • I can't believe how incredibly cool this thread is.

I've spend half the day listening and researching.

Thread of the year in my estimation.

24. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident

I totally agree. With bands like PFM, Banco, Locanda delle Fate, Il Balletto di Bronzo I was already familiar but for some reason never dug deeper. And then this thread with so many new (for me) names! Alphataurus' debut album impressed me so much I'm still under the spell... And now I understand why Matia Bazar always seemed to me too sophisticated and smart for your average Italo pop band... The founding members came from Museo Rosenbach and JET - no surprise they made their pop project a state-of-the-art thing!

Max Florian, PH416156 and old school like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.