Poll--The Weakest Link: Jimmy Buffet, SONGS YOU KNOW BY HEART, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

I am starting a series of "best of" albums by artists that probably won't get the WL treatment on an individual album. I thought I'd kick it off by letting the Parrotheads among us have a week with their hero.

Pick two of these as weak links.

2. Joey Self

Oh, and in this series, it is only right to expect a "big hit single" to win! :)

JcS

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good pick, this will be a fun one to see if we can just get "Margaritaville" out early.

Margaritaville - Great tune. Don't care. Please bow out.
    Grapefruit Juicy Fruit - not awful, but its the weakest track here.

Easy first round. Once those two are gone, it will be much tougher for me. There are at least six tracks here I can convince myself are worthy winners.

4. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

Cheeseburger and Volcano for me. I love Key West Jimmy much more than cheeseball Jimmy.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  5. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Boat Drinks and Pencil Thin Mustache.

6. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

"Changes" and "Drunk"

The album that "Changes" is from is the only one I don't have from this era, but I have heard the track a couple few times. This is a strong greatest hits album. So are the studio albums from this era.

7. Joey Self

When I entered the titles, I picked out four that I thought would be standing when we got to that stage, but from there, I wasn't sure what would win.

Of course, I may be wrong on my final four...

JcS

8. Joey Self

Hmmm, usually six hours into a round, there's something that draws a lot of fire, but so far, it's pretty scattered.

JcS

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Grapefruit and Boat Drinks for me. Don't mind the party songs but those two are by-the-numbers.

Not surprised that nobody voted for "A Pirate." His best ever song.

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Volcano and Boat Drinks.

11. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The first one was easy - I don't EVER need to hear "Cheeseburger in Paradise" again - but none of the others stuck out for me. I like some better than others but I don't dislike any of them. In the end I went with "Fins" as it is awfully overexposed.

By the way, a true GOP (Grumpy Old Parrothead) would have called this album by its more descriptive title: Songs You Play To Death.

12. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Growing up in Miami and visiting the Keys a lot, I want to vote them ALL off. Okay, I still like "Son of a Son of a Sailor."

Hamhead likes this.
  13. Joey Self

I saw a new feature in the polling that allows the OP to limit the number of votes one can cast in a single round, so you can't do that anymore! :)

JcS

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Most inaccurate album title EVER.

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Naturally, forum members won't go out of their way to keep the Buffet song that deals with being close to bodily harm.

16. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Pencil Thin Mustache and Grapefruit - Juicy Fruit. I'm not shure how many are Parrotheads, and how many Parrot haters there are here.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not sure either. I thought for a minute about starting a Buffett album-by-album thread a few years back, but never did as I wasn't sure there'd be much interest.

18. Joey Self

I didn't have a good feel for it, either; I don't remember a lot of Buffet threads over the last decade, but this album sold millions (10, I think I read on Wikipedia), and many of these songs have had a fair amount of airplay, so I figured it would draw enough interest to be worth doing.

JcS

19. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I think there'd be plenty of interest, but also an awful lot of threadcrapping. He is one of those acts whose detractors are especially proud to be detractors.

20. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

This was a close one. Grapefruit-Juicy Fruit or Cheeseburger In Paradise.

I went with the former because that bit in there about "ladies choice" is pretty embarrassing. As a Parrothead I can tolerate the song otherwise.

Cheesburger In Paradise has Jimmy yelping about ground beef but I can understand his hunger.

21. Joey Self

You can pick two in the early rounds--at least the first three.

JcS

22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Growing up in South Florida and working in North Miami a lot, I heard most of them for 10 lifetimes.
    It doesn't help having a parrothead for a brother. Margaritaville is one song I wish was banished forever.
    A Pirate Looks At Forty and He Went To Paris are two of my favorite Buffett tunes.

I still never forget the time my brother put "Living And Dying In 3/4 Time" on the family stereo.
    The expression on my mother's face when "drunk" came on was a Kodak moment.
    "Son of a Son of a Sailor" is one I can't handle since he was in the Coast Guard and my Dad was in the Navy,
    that one was played into the ground to the point of nausea.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  23. Joey Self

I took "Grapefruit" and "He Went To Paris."

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.