Does anyone here have an all-Rega system?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jay F, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like the half-sized CD player ... :righton:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are those speakers by Rega too? It is too bad very few British speakers are still built in the UK ... :sigh:

3. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Both the RS5 and RS3 in the pictures are made in England by Rega.

4. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Rega R5's. The model prior to the RS5. Made in the UK as are my present Spendor A6R.

Ntotrar likes this.
  5. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

You cannot go wrong with Rega.

Billy Budapest, Ntotrar and bhazen like this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

You got me, I misidentified your R5 as RS5!

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Just a mental refresher - are the current RS speakers designed to work up against the wall like Rega speakers of old (Ela's, etc.)?

Billy Budapest likes this.
  8. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Forum Resident

so psyched, found a pair of second hand RS5's this week, have been looking for a while.

All-rega system will now be complete.

RP6 / Rega DAC > Brio-R > RS5's.

9. My office system consists of a Rega Brio-R, Rega Apollo-R, Rega DAC, Rega RS-1 speakers, Rega Mains power cables, Rega Couple interconnects and Rega FSC Quattro speaker cable. Non-Rega components include a REL T-5 sub, SOTA Comet turntable, Shelter 901 cartridge, and an AppleTV for AirPlay streaming. The Comet has an S300 tonearm, which is an OEM Rega RB300 arm. A Rega Aria is forthcoming as the Shelter needs an MC preamp. I will probably replace the RS-1's with KEF LS50's.

Ntotrar likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Before January ends, I hope to possess all the components for a full Rega system (DAC, Brio-R, RS1's)! It's my fondest wish to test the famous Rega system synergy - by playing music.

One thing I hadn't considered: interconnect. Is RCA Couple the best thing to use between DAC and Brio, or do other options work as well? I'm using some inexpensive Ixos at the moment.

11. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

I have Rega Couple 2 interconnects from my Brio-R to my Rega DAC. They are decent, but there are better out there IMO.

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My dealer recommended Kimber for use with Rega. I use PBJ interconnects and 8TC wire.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I know, quoting oneself is scurrilous.

14. If you look at my posts from, oh, seven years ago or so, I predicted this. Local dealers who relied on territorial restrictions for protecting their business were grasping onto a dying business model. It's not quite dead yet, but close to it. Local dealers should emphasize other things to drum up their business, like you can actually listen to components there, get advice easily, have a local place for repairs, etc.

Art K likes this.
  15. My RS1's worked great about 12" from the wall. I am going to list them here for sale, too. ;)

bhazen likes this.
  16. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Did you, peradventure, try them right up against the wall?

17. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Instead it's going the other way. I bought my Marantz SA8005 from a dealer in Eugene. He used to have a great stock of new products from all of his brands. Vandersteen, Marantz, B&W, Rotel, Ayre and so on. I was a little surprised he didn't have the SA8005 in stock and I paid more through him than I would have paid online. When I went to pick it up...what was once his parking lot was now a building. I had to drive around for 20 minutes to find a parking place several blocks away. I brought music with me to demo some of his gear and much to my horror and amazement he had NO new stock. Primarily just a bunch of used junk. I was blown away. From a premier dealer to a mediocre used dealer. Had I known I would have just bought online and had it delivered to my door rather than spend 2 hrs driving and 20 minutes parking. Too bad really.

Ntotrar likes this.
  18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Same here really. I have gone online as it is where I can buy what I want as opposed to what someone wants to sell me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  19. No, but at their closest, they were a few inches from the wall and sounded great. Rega sells a wall mount for the RS-1's so I assume they will sound good--I don't think Rega would manufacture and sell a wall mount if it would compromise the sound.

bhazen likes this.
  20. That is too bad. I can see how it would be hard for dealers without local sales restrictions, but the marketplace is now nationwide and in order to compete, brick and mortar stores need to emphasize how they are different and what value they can add to the sale. Truthfully, they need to compete on price. After they are able to do that, then they need to emphasize what they can offer as a local physical presence that internet dealers cannot. There is a lot of value to a brick and mortar--the biggest being that you can listen to the products there with your music and in some instances take loaner equipment home. You can also discuss your system and your music at length, in person, and get gear recommendations and help in putting together a system. You also have an easy location to bring your gear if it needs service. Finally, it is a lot easier to work out deals and discounts, trade-ins, etc., in person than over email or telephone.

The best of both worlds would be a dealer who is able to conduct sales on the Internet and on premises.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Although I will support Hawthorne, Stereotypes, Tune etc. (my "locals") 'til the bitter end, I must say Music Direct carries anything a music-loving audiophile could reasonably want. Plus, and this is a real positive from my perspective, they always have some heavily-discounted entry-type components to entice the budget conscious to acquire a nice system.

Ahh, good news. I plan on siting them right up against the wall, firing straight into the room like Linn Kans or Naim SBLs of olde. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.